Menu

Mother of the Bride Dresses

fairfarmhand

I need a mother of the bride dress since my dd is getting married in December.

Her colors are dark red and yellow. She suggested that I wear one of those colors but I don't look good in yellow (nor do I want to look like big bird) And I don't want to look like I'm trying to be a bridesmaid either.

None of my other kids are in the wedding. We're going to have lots of pictures, and I want to complement the wedding party. My girls don't want to look like they're trying to be bridesmaids. So what colors will look nice with dark red and sunflower yellow in pictures?

Suggestions for dresses? Nothing too matronly. Most MOB dresses look rather matronly. But I don't want to look like I'm trying to be 20 either. And I'd prefer the dress to have sleeves because the wedding is in December and our church is typically chilly. And none of these "cold shoulder" dresses that are in style right now.

I sound so picky. I hate shopping. 

In other news:

And how does one respond when people say "Congratulations" to me upon hearing of this wedding. I know what they're saying. "Yay! Good for your dd." But congratulations seems weird and I'm always like "Thanks?" because I am not sure how to answer this because I'm not the one getting married. Snarky me wants to say "Yeah, can't wait to unload the rest of these kids one of these days too!" but that would probably be rude. :)

They are congratulating you because it is a milestone as a parent to have a child marry in addition to the joy (one hopes) of adding a SIL/DIL.

“We’re so excited for her!” (Only if that is true)

Is the deep red cool or warm toned? I would be looking at taupe, personally. A deep green (with a lot of brown in it) could also work.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

They are congratulating you because it is a milestone as a parent to have a child marry in addition to the joy (one hopes) of adding a SIL/DIL.

“We’re so excited for her!” (Only if that is true)

Is the deep red cool or warm toned? I would be looking at taupe, personally. A deep green (with a lot of brown in it) could also work.

I'd say warm toned. Would taupe look odd with gray groomsmen suits?

What colors make you look your best?  Can you wear warm tones, or are cool tones better?  If you can wear navy or a deep blue, that won't clash with red, yellow, or gray.

Nordstrom has nice mother of the bride dresses that don't seem too matronly.  So does Amazon.  Something from Modcloth might work for the right person.  You could also find a long skirt and pair it with a dressy top if you crave versatility.

When people say congratulations, they are telling you that they are happy for your daughter and for your family.  A simple "Thank you." in reply is all that's needed.  😊

• Like 2

I think shades of grey or silver would be fine if the suits are grey as long as they weren't too matchy, but would blend.  Black would be ok if the bride oks that.  We did a lot of black at our wedding.  Navy blue.  I think other red/fushia/pink tones may work if you have a sample of the red to make sure it works, or darker gold as long it is clearly different than the yellow.  Though I probably wouldn't mix silver and gold.  If suits are clearly grey, I probably wouldn't go with taupe.  

I think "Thank you" is a perfectly appropriate response to "Congratulations".  Depending on who it was I might say something like "We're looking forward to welcoming Name_Here into the family".  

• Like 1

I'd do navy with red accents.  For your DDs, let them pick something in the burgundy family, maybe navy,  possibly cream.  

For the sunflower weddings I've scene, mothers are wearing casual dresses, skirts, and it does not have to be super matchy.  I hate yellow, so I'd be looking at navy,  cream and red.

Good luck shopping. I think I ordered about 5 and tried another 10 on in various stores. I put off shopping for it because how hard can it be, I live in NOVA, after all🙄 I choose a lacy dark grey, which was lovely. Daughter’s bridesmaids wore a dark purple, groomsmen wore black tuxs. 

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

I'd do navy with red accents.  For your DDs, let them pick something in the burgundy family, maybe navy,  possibly cream.  

For the sunflower weddings I've scene, mothers are wearing casual dresses, skirts, and it does not have to be super matchy.  I hate yellow, so I'd be looking at navy,  cream and red.

I wish this was a casual wedding but it's not. 😞

My other 2 daughters continually state : "When I get married, nobody will have to wear anything that has a slip."

"When I get married, everyone should wear jeans.":

"When I get married, I'm going barefoot."

So I think they're figuring out what they DON'T want from this!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

These are pretty!

I thought of navy right away, too. The yellow would be the tricky bit--it is hard to go with silver/grey then. 

Dark green would be great!  Most greens would likely work.  Navy, only if it is very dark.  Otherwise I think it may look like primary colors (red, yellow, blue.)  Dark grey with silver to lighten it a bit if that suits your skin tone would  be pretty too. 

Both of my two older kids got married this year.  One April wedding and one in October.

i wore this dress to both (in navy).  For the April wedding, I had a navy shawl because my arms were cold.  The October wedding was in California and it was 80F so no shawl required.   With Red/Yellow, I would look for a brown or navy dress.

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/onyx-nites-short-sleeve-applique-shift-dress/ppr5007813533?pTmplType=regular&country=US&currency=USD&selectedSKUId=22917050125&selectedLotId=2291705&fromBag=true&quantity=1&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shift dresses&utm_content=22917050125&cid=cse|google|008 - womens apparel|shift dresses_22917050125&kwid=-adType^PLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkNCnoaKn5QIVxx-tBh2TFgQzEAQYDCABEgIKtvD_BwE

2 minutes ago, Sue in St Pete said:

Wow!!! I love it.  I have never seen that website either.  I am a very bad shopper.  I am a terrible clothes shopper.  I always want things that do not exist.  Like pockets.  I'm gonna bookmark this one.

Lots of their dresses have pockets and many can be custom sewn for your measurements to ensure a good fit. 

2 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

oooo.. Actually, I just found another dress on the site on sale that I like just as well.

I think they both look lovely.

I hope your daughter and her husband will be very happy and that you'll have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Regards,

Kareni

I wore this dress but in a dark purple available at the time.  The dress on the model looks very tight.  I got my usual size and it fit very nicely, not tight like the photo, but still form fitting so it didn't look like a sack.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/thalia-sodi-lace-sheath-dress-created-for-macys?ID=4831912&lid=pdp_details

Dress was super comfy and stretchy for all the moving around I was doing all day.  Oh, also the neckline looked really nice in pictures.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, goldberry said:

I wore this dress but in a dark purple available at the time.  The dress on the model looks very tight.  I got my usual size and it fit very nicely, not tight like the photo, but still form fitting so it didn't look like a sack.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/thalia-sodi-lace-sheath-dress-created-for-macys?ID=4831912&lid=pdp_details

Dress was super comfy and stretchy for all the moving around I was doing all day.  Oh, also the neckline looked really nice in pictures.

I love this!  Now I just need one of my sons to get married so I can wear it...

• Like 3