Menu

Yahoo Groups is shutting down

Farrar

In case you missed it - Yahoo Groups is deleting all user data and all archives. All groups will become private and invite only. You'll still be able to use them for email, but that's it. If you've got data on a group, go forth and download fast.

Not shocking because they haven't supported the platform in eons. But a lot of local homeschool groups still seem to operate out of them, so I thought it would be of interest to folks here.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Google Groups and a shared Drive folder?

Most of the drama, I mean, communication had already switched over to Facebook.  They were really only keeping the Yahoo groups going for those of us who don’t have FB.  I am not, nor plan to ever be, involved in any kind of decision making capacity (for various reasons...), so I’m just going to have to roll with it.

• Like 1

I find it sad in general just because of how it's the death of information about us and our society. Imagine what someone a century from now would think about wiping this data? Think of all the future anthropology that we're losing. I know that sounds silly, but it's really what I think about these things. It's why the Web Archive is so important. We treat the internet and the data on it a bit like how early filmmakers treated films. Make them, show them, destroy them. It's why we're missing so many important movies from the early days of film. Same with early television. Heck, same with art going way back. In the middle ages, people used ancient buildings as stone quarries to get new stone to build new things without a thought to the history and heritage they were destroying.

• Like 5

I wonder what will happen to the homeschool to college (hs2coll) yahoo group.  They’re sort of like being here, insofar as it’s an email group with a ton of good information given out about homeschooling high school and college.  They have some archived info as well, like transcripts, etc.  

I guess since it’s mostly email run, that if you’re in the group you can still email back and forth?  I almost never look at the group page, but I follow all the emails that are sent back and forth.

I still get information from yahoo groups I was active with years ago.  one group owner posted this:

Hi All!

Yahoo has decided to close Yahoo groups this December. 

I have been advised that Yahoo will be making significant changes to the Yahoo Group Platform starting this month. 

no more content will be allowed to be uploaded from 21st October.

From 14th December all content will be wiped. 

all groups will be made private - new members will only be allowed by invitation.

All communication with the group will be via email 

if true we will know by 21st October when any new uploads will be prohibited.

Understand what's changing in Yahoo Groups

Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the
Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 28, you won't be able to upload any more
content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the
site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything
you've uploaded.

What features will go away?

Files
Polls
Links
Photos
Folders
Calendar
Database
Attachments
Conversations
Email Updates
Message Digest
Message History

Edited by gardenmom5

8 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

I keep waiting to lose my AOL e mail address. 😉 I know I am in a few Yahoogroups though I no longer keep up with them. A lot of AOL message boards moved there back in the day.

AOL was bought by Verizon and it's what they use for their email service now.  I'm hoping that means it will stick around for a while.  I have an AOL account that I've had for over 20 years, although I do also have a few gmail accounts.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, Spryte said:

Yes!  Wow, that brings back memories.  

My youngest started regular school this year (grade 9) and I just gave away the original set!   I'm also giving away and selling off the library I collected over the last 20 years.  It was a satisfying hobby to scour 2nd hand shops and back in the day I did a lot of bookmooch too.  All good memories!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hannah said:

My youngest started regular school this year (grade 9) and I just gave away the original set!   I'm also giving away and selling off the library I collected over the last 20 years.  It was a satisfying hobby to scour 2nd hand shops and back in the day I did a lot of bookmooch too.  All good memories!

Hannah, I just want to say THANK YOU for making those timeline cards et al. I really appreciated having them for our narration pages and timelines. I saved very little from dd's homeschooling days, but our notebooks were too precious to toss when she grew up. Thank you for lending beauty to our days. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

Hannah, I just want to say THANK YOU for making those timeline cards et al. I really appreciated having them for our narration pages and timelines. I saved very little from dd's homeschooling days, but our notebooks were too precious to toss when she grew up. Thank you for lending beauty to our days. 

It's such a joy to hear that you benefitted from them!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, BarbecueMom said:

Both of our homeschool groups still use Yahoo.  Now I have to decide whether to get back on Facebook or put the kids in public school.  Kidding... maybe.   😕

On 10/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, whitehawk said:

Google Groups and a shared Drive folder?

On 10/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, Farrar said:

You’ll still be able to use it as a sort of email server - for now.

I’ve heard that groups.io is another option. Some groups have moved to Slack, interestingly.

Our local homeschool group moved to groups.io and it has been a success.  I do hope that the people at hs2coll are working on making a change.  That has been such a fantastic resource.

• Like 1

I was on a pregnancy group for babies due in Sept. 1997.  It started on AOL, went to a few other platforms, and eventually landed on Yahoogroups. Our Sept. 97 babies are now 22 and a decent size core group of us are still together. Many of us have met in person. It was my first experience with online friends. A few of them don't do facebook plus the email group format is easier in some ways, so we still have our Yahoogroup. We're trying to decide what to do. Even though they say the email aspect will remain, is is only a matter of time before that's gone too?

• Like 2