Menu

Favorite Latin curriculum or class

Ok, tell me what Latin program you adore.  

I need it to be high school level/rigorous enough to count as a foreign language credit.

I need it to have at least 2 years (with the understanding that it generally takes us 3 years to finish two years of Latin because I'm big on review).

I'd like it to be engaging.  I realize Latin is Latin, but must it be dry as dust!?!?

It doesn't need to be for absolute beginners as these are students who did both years of Song School Latin (over 3 years) and two years of Latin for Children (also might end up taking us 3 years).  

I'd like it to include plenty of review, though I can build in review myself if needed (obviously since I have never finished a book in a year).

Visual Latin might be a good fit for you. It is a 2 year program. We only used 1 year with my oldest, but my 2nd child is requesting it since he found the teacher so humorous. The program has directions for adding the reader Lingua Latina which is a very engaging book. You would definitely want to add that to make the program high school level. Also, I will require more memorization when I use VL with the next kiddo. Your kids might not need that as much considering the latin background they already have. 

We really like the online live Latin classes through Veritas Press. They go through Wheelock's Latin (a college level textbook) in 2 years. I tried to do it on my own and it just wasn't working. The teachers are engaging and it provides the expertise and accountability that we needed. The only downside is the $$. If you want it to be 3 years, I think they also have a Latin Transition class that would be taken before Latin I and II.

Are you going to teach it yourself, or do you need to outsource it? 

How involved can you realistically be? 

I have the *ability* to (kind of, sort of) teach high school level languages, but I didn't have the time to do it well. (Six kids and one of me...) So in high school,  my oldest did two years of Henle Latin using the guides from Memoria.  I needed something already laid out,  that had a consistent format, and didn't break the bank.  Henle was winner on all points.

No, it was not exciting. 🙂

But it got done.  Consistently.  With understanding.  And it was even discussed and graded.  😉  And he's doing Greek, so those years of learning an inflected language are not wasted.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Are you going to teach it yourself, or do you need to outsource it? 

How involved can you realistically be? 

I have the *ability* to (kind of, sort of) teach high school level languages, but I didn't have the time to do it well. (Six kids and one of me...) So in high school,  my oldest did two years of Henle Latin using the guides from Memoria.  I needed something already laid out,  that had a consistent format, and didn't break the bank.  Henle was winner on all points.

No, it was not exciting. 🙂

But it got done.  Consistently.  With understanding.  And it was even discussed and graded.  😉  And he's doing Greek, so those years of learning an inflected language are not wasted.

I can outsource it, or I can continue to learn along with them.  I do have a genuine interest in Latin and stay successfully a step or two ahead of them.  I buy my own workbook and work a quarter year ahead.

• Like 1