Menu

Easiest, most basic Algebra 2 and other options

What is the easiest, most basic Algebra 2? This is for a child who would find TT challenging. I also own Math U See but although it may be basic, I find its explanations very unclear. My older son and I were not able to navigate our way through it. I know those two are considered the "easiest" high school math. Is there something else I could look at? I have Learn Math Fast Volume 6: Applications of Algebra. Cathy Duffy's review says it's largely Algebra 1, and it does look like a repeat of what he did in TT Algebra 1. There may be value in repeating, since he probably doesn't remember all of Algebra 1, but it also wouldn't last a full year.

Or should I be considering other math options completely? He will do consumer math at some point but I need something for 11th grade. I have Mathematics: A Human Endeavor as well, but I can't figure out how I would use it without an answer key. Used answer keys are terribly expensive.

Suggestions? Thank you.

It looks like he already did Algebra 1 and also Geometry.  What are the rules in Canada about colleges and what they require for math?

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that Canada is more like Britain, where the colleges are far less expensive, but a lot less people go to them, and there are other options such as trades.  So I don't know if community college is a thing or what your goals are for college.

Here, not taking Algebra 2 would pretty much be a death warrant to any academic college admissions.  It would also cause the student not to score well on the SAT's.  However, if you were going into a trade, the military, maybe an art school where they care more about your portfolio than your math...it would be fine 🙂

My dd is pretty good at math and self-teaching and found TT Geometry to be extremely easy with non stop A's all year long.  She is finding the Algebra 2 much more tedious and challenging.  I'm not sure if it's them, or the subject matter, but there's that for you.  

Have you looked at Key To?  How about Kahn Academy, where he can just re-do different problems until he gets mastery?

Colleges' requirements here are entirely dependent on what course you want to take. In the case of this particular kid, if he went to college at all, he would go into trades such as carpentry or something like that, where geometry is entirely sufficient. So he definitely will not need Algebra 2 for anything. There are no SAT's to write, etc. He would probably have to pass an entrance test for math, but I've looked at it, and anyone with a good knowledge of pre-algebra would do well on it. So he really doesn't NEED any more math, but I need to do something with him.

My oldest son did TT Algebra 2 last year and did very well with it. I'm pretty sure if this son attempted it, he would do fine as well, with a little more help. But he doesn't want to, and seeing as how it's completely useless for him, I don't want to force it. But it's tough finding other options!

Would Key To be below his level? I should look into it more. He did well with TT Algebra 1 last year and is currently doing MUS Geometry. I was also thinking of having him do various units from MEP (the GCSE level) including the trig and stats. I think that would be much more useful for him.

You might check out VideoText -- it runs from Pre-Algebra, through Algebra 1, through Algebra 2 in one text with video lessons. I'd suggest just starting at the beginning, and where your student is solid with the material and gets it, move more quickly, and where your student hits a topic that is unfamiliar or that doesn't "click", slow down. There are 176 video lessons / 10 units, so it is conceivable to complete the program in one year, esp. if earlier lessons go quickly, leaving more time for the Alg. 2 topics.

... In the case of this particular kid... he would go into trades such as carpentry or something like that, where geometry is entirely sufficient... So he really doesn't NEED any more math, but I need to do something with him...
...I was also thinking of having him do various units from MEP (the GCSE level) including the trig and stats. I think that would be much more useful for him.

You might consider a Consumer Math program to get solid with using the "every day" math he will need in real life. Also, a Business Math (or bookkeeping or an intro to accounting course) would be extremely useful for going into the trades and having to keep the "books" for all of his business transactions. It looks like Trig is used in things like architecture, electrical engineering, manufacturing, building inspectors, astronomy, geography/cartography, and navigation. Would he be headed in any of those directions? Statistics would be esp. helpful if he's heading towards a job as a meteorologist or financial analyst, or in marketing or operations research analysis...

... My oldest son did TT Algebra 2 last year and did very well with it. I'm pretty sure if this son attempted it, he would do fine as well, with a little more help. But he doesn't want to, and seeing as how it's completely useless for him, I don't want to force it...

FWIW: I did somewhat force the issue with my DS#2 (who is a very black & white thinker who was fully convinced that Algebra was completely useless to him). It did take 1.5 years to get through MUS Algebra 2, but I'm extremely glad we did it. Doing the Alg. 2 into the later high school years helped keep abstract math fresher in his mind, and it really helped him place well at the community college to be able to do the classes he wanted/needed.  Just our experience. 😉 I also had him do a Consumer Math program for his 4th math credit.

BEST of luck in finding what's the best math topic AND the best math program for DS! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1