Menu

a sexist woman . . .

gardenmom5

tells a man (sitting next to her and her friend, and with whom they've shared an occasional  comment ) she doesn't need an "old white male mansplaining" the origins of "men in black" to her. (she and her friend were arguing about it).  she said this to the WRITER of "Men in Black". . . . . 

Perhaps he should've started off with "I was involved in making that film, in fact, I'm one of the writers, and I could answer your question if you like" rather than jumping to the end part. Even if they'd already exchanged small talk it sounds like he hadn't established any bona fides. They were shooting the breeze, and he was "I CAN ANSWER THAT", I mean, I'd be a little annoyed myself.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Perhaps he should've started off with "I was involved in making that film, in fact, I'm one of the writers, and I could answer your question if you like" rather than jumping to the end part. Even if they'd already exchanged small talk it sounds like he hadn't established any bona fides. They were shooting the breeze, and he was "I CAN ANSWER THAT", I mean, I'd be a little annoyed myself.

and she could have asked: why would you know anymore than we do?

works both ways.

• Like 3

If this phenomenon of men jumping in to explain things to women wasn't so widespread, I'm sure she would have done so.

At any rate, having read his comments, it seems like he has no problem with the term "mansplain" (which may not even be what they said) so why are you defending him against it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t buy any of it to begin with. Who’s discussing Men in Black in 2019? The odds of the writer running into anyone doing that in a random cafe... And the odds of a Hollywood writer never hearing the word “mansplain”?  Good story, Writer Bro.

Regardless, I don’t find it sexist for a women to tell a man she doesn’t need him to explain her thoughts.

• Like 3

Mansplaining is a derogatory and inherently sexist term. 

Maybe jumping in with unsolicited information or opinions is a thing that men do more than women, I don't know I haven't done objective research on the matter. It certainly isn't unique to men though. In any case calling a person out on behavior that is perceived as rude does not need to be done using a gendered put down.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, maize said:

Mansplaining is a derogatory and inherently sexist term. 

Maybe jumping in with unsolicited information or opinions is a thing that men do more than women, I don't know I haven't done objective research on the matter. It certainly isn't unique to men though. In any case calling a person out on behavior that is perceived as rude does not need to be done using a gendered put down.

Mansplaining is a sexist act.  It IS the put down.

• Like 3

https://mobile.twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1184146722253094912

That is Ed Solomon's Twitter where he shared what happened.

Men in Black is one of my favorite movies, so I wouldn't think there is anything strange about talking about it, even tho it is 20! years old. Or strange to be talking about any movie, no matter how old. Plus MIB international just came out on demand recently, maybe DVD, too, so maybe that is why it came up?

ANYHOW...It is kind of yucky IMO to tell someone to shut up (esssentially) bc they are ---------- (fill in the blank with a physical characteristics).

You sold a reverberating carbonizer with mutating capacity to an unlicensed cephalopod? jeebs, you piece of sh!t!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t buy any of it to begin with. Who’s discussing Men in Black in 2019? The odds of the writer running into anyone doing that in a random cafe... And the odds of a Hollywood writer never hearing the word “mansplain”?  Good story, Writer Bro.

Regardless, I don’t find it sexist for a women to tell a man she doesn’t need him to explain her thoughts.

A MIB movie was released in June this year, so it’s not too crazy to think someone would be discussing it this year.  I only know because DS recently rented it.  😊

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

If I did the same thing this guy reportedly did (jumping into a conversation to offer unsolicited information) you wouldn't call it mansplaining. And yeah I've done just that on multiple occasions.

Using a gendered derogatory term for something females are stereotyped as doing (say, criticizing a woman who reminded a man to do something for hen-pecking) would be sexist. The fact that sexism is more often leveraged against women does not make it A-OK to throw sexist stereotyped insults at men.

• Like 5

Ok - if you never feel like you've been "mansplained" consider yourself lucky.  I worked through the 90's in a male dominated industry and it was just a fact of life.  I am actually glad there is some awareness of it and some vocabulary to describe it.  I call my own husband on it occasionally.  

Mansplaining is a pejorative term meaning " to comment on or explain something to a woman in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner". Author Rebecca Solnit ascribes the phenomenon to a combination of "overconfidence and cluelessness".

So if someone is literally an expert on a topic area that is not mansplaining.  However, if you are interrupting a conversation between 2 people to interject, don't assume it's welcome either.  To me it sounds like he took it in decent humor and got an apology of sorts.  It's a cute story, but I would hardly call it breaking news.  Someone was cranky and responded rudely probably colored by past experiences that weren't necessarily relevant here.  Happens in retail settings a million times a day.  

• Like 3

I get that generally men are more likely to have a personality with the tendency to jump in and set themselves up as an authority figure by patronizingly explaining things to people, but I’ve never personally met anyone who did it in a sexist way.  The men I’ve known who do this do it to everyone, not just women, though particularly to people with less forceful personalities.  And the person I know who does it the most is a woman.  If the same action done with the same intention is not sexist for her, it doesn’t become sexist based purely on the gender of the speaker.  

So for “mansplaining” to be a sexist act, the man doing it would have to consistently do it only towards women.  I’m sure there are people like that out there, but I don’t think it’s nearly as widespread as some think, as I’ve yet to meet one.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

But women jump in to explain to others when they feel authority/expertise on the subject.  It happens all the dang time. Just because it was a man doesn’t mean he was doing because his perceived authority was his manhood- in this case the authority was he’s the AUTHOR.  It can be quite rude, and is usually annoying at a minimum but it isn’t sexist unless the perceived authority is based on gender. This wasn’t mansplaining.

• Like 1