Menu

Counselor Common App - Homeschool supplement

I've seen many people say they do this - does this look right? Is it OK if I don't specify the details in their boxes, as it seems so repetitive when I have a really nicely formatted & designed school profile and course descriptions.

See here - does this look OK?

(And PS - where do I upload the School Profile in CA - under 'Transcripts' along with transcript + course descriptions? For some reason, I thought there would be a place to upload the "School Profile" which is school-specific, as opposed to 'student-specific')

homeschool.JPG

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 1

This is what I've understood from others' posts.  Hopefully, someone with experience will chime in!

I have a related question.  The last question on the screen shot is "Are you a member of a homeschooler's association?"  Why would they care about that?  What does it tell them?  

Your screen shot is how I respond. My Dd isn't applying to a CA school, so no CA for me this yr. I don't remember where I uploaded the school profile in the past, but I think I remember merging my transcript, school profile, and course descriptions together as a single document.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, klmama said:

This is what I've understood from others' posts.  Hopefully, someone with experience will chime in!

I have a related question.  The last question on the screen shot is "Are you a member of a homeschooler's association?"  Why would they care about that?  What does it tell them?  

I found this person's articles/blog posts really helpful, especially this one that covers many Common App topics and how-to's: https://fearlesshomeschoolers.com/blog/homeschool-transcript

She says the following about the homeschool association question: 

Member of homeschool association?

This is asking if your homeschooler will be receiving a diploma from a homeschool association or diploma program.

• Thanks 1

Some states have cover programs/associations, where the program gives the diploma and sends the transcript, and does the counselor stuff, but we need to be able to state what is unique about our homeschooling. For us, what is in this form is quite different from the school as a whole. Both of DD’s common app schools told me to make sure we do the homeschool supplement for that reason. It both makes applying to college easier and harder. 

Log in to the Common App as a counselor/recommender. If you click on "Profile", you  should see ""Counselor Profile." Under that will first be "Personal Details", then ""School Details", then "School Profile". At the end of all the "School Profile" questions is says "Attach your school profile here" and that's where you can upload it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mom1720 said:

Log in to the Common App as a counselor/recommender. If you click on "Profile", you  should see ""Counselor Profile." Under that will first be "Personal Details", then ""School Details", then "School Profile". At the end of all the "School Profile" questions is says "Attach your school profile here" and that's where you can upload it.

Found it - thank you! 

And thanks for the other posts - I think I'll just leave it as "Please see school profile" as all of the info asked for is there nice, neat, well-designed - so we'll leave it at that, so maybe they'll actually read it.

I guess I'll be the one who did it differently 😉

My school profile follows pretty closely a typical public school profile - a very impersonal 1 page document with ethnicity/socioeconomic/local industry info from the most recent census, grading scale, and a list of extracurriculars that my kids have collectively done ober the years. It's the same for each of my kids. 

The 3 questions in the screen shot were more personal - why we started hs'ing, how I evaluate work (mastery based), educational philosophy, and what outside courses that particular student has done. So the answers are slightly different for every kid and all 3 questions would never fit on 1 page.

I also answered the hs assn question as yes (I pay dues to our state's assn) because I thought they were looking for some sort of evidence that we keep current with hs regulations in our state. They don't give out any kind of diploma but I am a member, so I said yes.

I don't think there's anything wrong whatsoever with doing it the way most of you do it! In fact your way might be better. Just wanted to put an alternative out there!

I just wish I wasn't skeptical that admissions reads any of it ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

I just wish I wasn't skeptical that admissions reads any of it ...

I  don't know about the other schools ds applied to, but I think that Carnegie Mellon read all my paperwork.  My ds had an on campus interview (which was a big deal as we live in NZ), and at the end they brought me in to ask any questions (they do this with all parents, not just homeschoolers).  I found out that my ds never mentioned in the interview that he was homeschooled, haha.  I knew that they brought parents in, so I came with all my documentation to ask for a 'pre-reading' and advice.  They man from admissions just about fell over with joy over my paperwork.  LOVED IT!  He didn't read it on the spot, but loved that there was SO MUCH of it.  So 1-page transcript, 2-page school profile, 6-page course descriptions, and 2 page counselor letter.  He said verbatim "There is no such thing as too much paperwork for a homeschooler." My ds got in, and got their top merit scholarship.  So, yes, some schools do read the paperwork you are making.  But even if they don't, if you make it *pretty* then it reflects on your homeschool and gives the impression of organized, effective educational environment.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 2

Ok, so how do I upload the school profile?  I saw what mom1720 said, but when I go to that spot, it just says "attach your school profile here."  It doesn't seem to have a place to actually upload the file.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 2.40.38 PM.png

Edited by EKS

6 hours ago, lewelma said:

I  don't know about the other schools ds applied to, but I think that Carnegie Mellon read all my paperwork.  My ds had an on campus interview (which was a big deal as we live in NZ), and at the end they brought me in to ask any questions (they do this with all parents, not just homeschoolers).  I found out that my ds never mentioned in the interview that he was homeschooled, haha.  I knew that they brought parents in, so I came with all my documentation to ask for a 'pre-reading' and advice.  They man from admissions just about fell over with joy over my paperwork.  LOVED IT!  He didn't read it on the spot, but loved that there was SO MUCH of it.  So 1-page transcript, 2-page school profile, 6-page course descriptions, and 2 page counselor letter.  He said verbatim "There is no such thing as too much paperwork for a homeschooler." My ds got in, and got their top merit scholarship.  So, yes, some schools do read the paperwork you are making.  But even if they don't, if you make it *pretty* then it reflects on your homeschool and gives the impression of organized, effective educational environment.

Ruth in NZ

I'm sure top tier places read them, not so sure about regular state schools. I jumped through all the hoops and did all the things and made it as professional as possible - because I didn't want *me* to be the reason they didn't get in, ykwim? But I would sure looooooove to know what really goes down when my kids' files are on the table and which of the eleventy billion pieces of information I provided were the ones that made the difference!

• Like 1

Oh, I just LOVE that last question:  "...instruction setting and schedule, frequency of interaction with instructors and fellow students..."  Like I'm really going to create some big spreadsheet of meaningless numbers.  ("Let's see, in the 3rd week of October I interacted with my peeps for 3 hours, but the 4th week of October it was 7 hours on a skype chat about some meme...")

Seriously?  And what if my student has a friend in 2 of her classes and they meet for one hour?  Does that count for both classes?  And did my daughter actually keep track of her "frequency of interaction?"  (Answer:  no.)

In reality, everything that was important what included in the course descriptions and a more readable format.  

I also had to scratch my head about being a member of a homeschooler association.  Is this relevant in some states?  In California, joining the local homeschooling associations may give you access to an email list or maybe allows you to attend a conference, but it hardly seems worth asking about.  What exactly does an admissions officer do with this information.  

Admissions officer:  "Hm, I do like this homeschooled candidate, but I see she's not a member of a homeschooler association.  Definite red flag."  

or is it the reverse:

Admissions officer:  "Hm, I do like this homeschooled candidate, but I see she's a member of a homeschooler association.  Definite red flag."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Oh, I just LOVE that last question:  "...instruction setting and schedule, frequency of interaction with instructors and fellow students..."  Like I'm really going to create some big spreadsheet of meaningless numbers.  ("Let's see, in the 3rd week of October I interacted with my peeps for 3 hours, but the 4th week of October it was 7 hours on a skype chat about some meme...")

Seriously?  And what if my student has a friend in 2 of her classes and they meet for one hour?  Does that count for both classes?  And did my daughter actually keep track of her "frequency of interaction?"  (Answer:  no.)

In reality, everything that was important what included in the course descriptions and a more readable format.    

I've spent quite a lot of time puzzling over why they phrased this question they way they did, why they want that particular information.

I think the answer is that it is the outside classes that help them understand better how a homeschooler ranks with respect to traditionally schooled applicants.  And the more like a typical b&m school the outside classes are, the more they can rely on them to bridge that gap.  It also gives them an idea about what sort of classroom experience the student has, as a student can have all outside classes but never interact with anyone.

I just put how often and for how long the classes met.

• Like 1

honestly, does it really matter how often they meet? i said in the homeschool section simply "Please see Course Descriptions" (transcript also has online provider key)

So they'll know very clearly which are outsourced, which are not... but I never really specified frequency of meetings. does it really matter? are these ok?

Example - for WTMA Biology Live class
 I have this line about what 'type' of class it is, being live weekly:
"...Live online class, homework, quizzes, chapter tests, a midterm and a final exam graded by instructor."

Example - for DO Physics asynchronous class
". The class takes place in an asynchronous environment and includes weekly assignments, instructional videos, quizzes, tests, a midterm and a final exam graded by instructor."

Example - for PAH AP Chem asynchronous class:
"
Asynchronous class includes weekly assignments, instructional videos, quizzes, tests, midterm and final exam graded by instructor."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mirabillis said:

honestly, does it really matter how often they meet? i said in the homeschool section simply "Please see Course Descriptions" (transcript also has online provider key)

So they'll know very clearly which are outsourced, which are not... but I never really specified frequency of meetings. does it really matter? are these ok?

Example - for WTMA Biology Live class
 I have this line about what 'type' of class it is, being live weekly:
"...Live online class, homework, quizzes, chapter tests, a midterm and a final exam graded by instructor."

Example - for DO Physics asynchronous class
". The class takes place in an asynchronous environment and includes weekly assignments, instructional videos, quizzes, tests, a midterm and a final exam graded by instructor."

Example - for PAH AP Chem asynchronous class:
"
Asynchronous class includes weekly assignments, instructional videos, quizzes, tests, midterm and final exam graded by instructor."

I think this is actually what they are looking for.  I think they want to know if by "outside classes" the parent means classes in a traditional b&m school or online/correspondence classes.  I think they want to know how the outside classes were structured. Did the student go to a class with other students? Was it online but with live meetings? Was it asynchronous with no other students? Were the teachers experts? Or parents at a co-op?  That sort of thing.

• Like 1

@mirabillis Like @EKS said, I think they are fine.

After spending hours stressing about all sorts of tiny details last year, I admit to the cynical attitude of how little time anyone probably spent looking at all the things I stressed over. I know one school looked at her course descriptions because the scholarship committee talked to her / asked her questions about some of the info in them. But whether they paid any attention to the carefully small margins (because last year, at least, the CA shrunk everything when you uploaded it), the careful way I uploaded my actual signature onto the transcript so it looked like it was actually on the line, or the course descriptions being in all the same tense... I doubt it.

The above was meant in a kind of, "Chill. It'll be ok" manner. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RootAnn said:

@mirabillis Like @EKS said, I think they are fine.

After spending hours stressing about all sorts of tiny details last year, I admit to the cynical attitude of how little time anyone probably spent looking at all the things I stressed over. I know one school looked at her course descriptions because the scholarship committee talked to her / asked her questions about some of the info in them. But whether they paid any attention to the carefully small margins (because last year, at least, the CA shrunk everything when you uploaded it), the careful way I uploaded my actual signature onto the transcript so it looked like it was actually on the line, or the course descriptions being in all the same tense... I doubt it.

The above was meant in a kind of, "Chill. It'll be ok" manner. 

Yes, and if you look around at school documents, they are not always perfect. I started working on these things at the end of last year, but every time I looked at them again, I’d find some little thing. It’s good to be meticulous, but I realized at some point I was stressing over such little things that I just needed to be done. 

• Like 2