Menu

Is there anything I can do to feel better?

Terabith

Your mother is wrong, you have the flu not some 24 hour thing. You need to rest. Go to bed and stay there as much as you possibly can............lots of hugs. 

Note as I said before on this thread neither my husband or I think we ever really had the flu before a couple of years ago.  We could barely move for days......then the kids got sick.  I hardly cared because I still felt awful........really having the flu is so different.  Really different.  

• Like 3

Tbis is the ACTUAL FLU.

Not a cold that people call the flu.

That means that it is SERIOUS, DEBILITATING, and some strains are even life - threatening.

Your mom is clueless.

You need to rest, badly, or this could get a lot worse.  And it doesn't sound restful to talk with her, plus she does not know what she is talking about.  Just saying.

• Like 4

To be honest, the flu test was negative so it was deemed flu like illness.  Have pondered doing the teladoc thing.  Feel too sick to go back to office.  But if I am honest, flu or other virus, I feel terrible and really struggle to get out of bed to go to the bathroom.  I feel sicker than a dog.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Sad 1

I’ve taken some.  It does help.  It’s just disturbing.  Usually with bugs I might feel terrible but can get up and function.  And I just plain can’t.  I’ve felt too sick to do anything.  Is it normal with the flu to be so weak brushing your teeth is almost impossibly hard and exhausting?

Edited by Terabith

I'm late to this thread because I don't have any great advice.  Really the only 2 things that ever make me feel better when I'm sick are (a) yoga and (b) a shower or bath.  But if you're too tired to move, those probably won't help.

I did want to say - the only time i recall feeling like you are describing for so long, I had strep.  Do you think maybe a test for strep is in order?

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

I’ve taken some.  It does help.  It’s just disturbing.  Usually with bugs I might feel terrible but can get up and function.  And I just plain can’t.  I’ve felt too sick to do anything.  Is it normal with the flu to be so weak brushing your teeth is almost impossibly hard and exhausting?

The last flu-like illness I had I was flat out for 4 - 5 days. Sadly, I was on holiday and then have to fly home being ill. It was miserable. Sounds like you have a strain of virus that just knocks out your energy and balance. It will pass eventually.

When I start to get really impatient after 2 weeks of being sick, I bring out the awful, burning oil of oregano and sort of brush my teeth with it. I don't know if it actually works in a medical sense, but I do usually get better by that point. 😉

25 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Is total weakness and incapacitation a normal flu thing?  Like not I don’t feel well or like to get up and do something but I flat out can’t?

Yes it totally is.  I can get up and do stuff unless it's the flu.  Then forget it, I'm not getting up to do anything for anyone for days.  I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Is total weakness and incapacitation a normal flu thing?  Like not I don’t feel well or like to get up and do something but I flat out can’t?

I felt sicker the last time I had the flu than I did the time I was hospitalized with pneumonia and nearly had a lung collapse.

28 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Yes it totally is.  I can get up and do stuff unless it's the flu.  Then forget it, I'm not getting up to do anything for anyone for days.  I hope you feel better soon!

Okay.  Weirdly that’s a relief.  I’ve had bugs where I felt terrible and getting up made me feel worse.  But I really can barely make it to the bathroom.  I simply can’t take a shower.  I about passed out trying to brush my teeth.   I simply flat out really can’t get out of bed.  I really need someone to help me with drinks and food and stuff.  Not that I feel like eating.  And I feel awful.  Been worried something was wrong but I think I am too sick to go to the doctor.  Been kinda worried something was really wrong.  Sent doctor a mychart message and she said to stay in bed and come in if not better in 4-5 more days...  This is like day four.  How long can this last???

Your body feels horrible and tired because it’s trying to kill off the virus and make it stop replicating. Your symptoms are showing you how tough the virus is. You are exhausted and need to rest a lot. Don’t try to do much of anything. Maybe some lobster baths if that would help. I hope you turn a corner soon, Terabith. ((( )))

I feel a bit better.  Temperature is 99.5-101 range.  Headache and body aches are still there but better than they were.  I can sit up for a short while but I still get weak and dizzy when I stand.  Unfortunately, I need to have a meeting with our pastor in the morning.  I told him I was sick and he’d risk it.  So I am hoping that I can get out without too much discomfort.  Trying to decide if I should go to the doctor, since it’s Friday and medical attention may be challenging.  

Also, even though I am still feeling pretty awful, I assume everyone will be expecting me to jump back into running everything.  And I’m worried about that.  At least the church thing just has to be done.  I’m still dizzy and weak when I stand or even sit for very long.  

You are still dizzy and weak. You still have a fever.  You should be home in bed, not out meeting with the pastor.  You certainly shouldn't be driving if you are dizzy. Phone him. Skype. It's easy for him to say he'll chance it, because people don't usually get this sick. I guarantee no one wants this, and they don't understand how awful you have felt if they are expecting you to be there. Just because you are a little better doesn't mean you are well. 

• Like 4

Terabith, could you talk to the pastor over the phone instead of going in? You really shouldn't be driving if you're getting dizzy.

Just seeing klmama said it already. Stay in bed, phone or skype. Seriously.

I'm so sorry you still feel so bad.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 1

I strongly urge you to stay home and rest.  Do things by phone, text etc.   

I know some people who have had *seriously* worse problems from accidents due to trying to do things too soon after illness.  The impairment of being slowed and a little dizzy from virus can be similar to being drunk in regard to falls or car crashes

(and forget about what destructive critical people r urging , likely if u were 2 let them push u to do stuff before ready and then u end up paraplegic they’ll tell u it was your fault for going out when u felt sick 🤕

This next relates to your dd.  If no psychiatrists in your area will take new patients, why not try a doctor who might have a whole person approach that would include mental symptoms as well as physical issues like nutrition etc.    For example, not someone I know anything about, just a google result for Roanoke if that’s where u r: https://www.thecenterforultrahealth.com/services/functional-medicine-roanoke-va/

• Like 1

Seriously you need a few more days to rest.  You still have a fever.  I think you are still in the “contagious” time frame.....5 to 7 days after and  still symptomatic.   I know we were advised to wait for a week past the contagious period before visiting my 94 yo mom.   Your pastor really shouldn’t want to be near you when your business can be done via phone as he risks infecting his congregation if he does catch it.  The flu seems to be hitting early this year and not everyone has their flu shots yet.  We went for the flu shots last week because of these threads!

• Like 2

I don't have a fever this morning, although it does seem a bit higher than usual for morning (98.8 as opposed to my usual morning 97).  I still have a headache and some body aches, although they're less, and I'm tired and very weak, although not as bad as it was before.  

A full degree warmer than usual is still a low grade fever, which means you're still contagious.  Talk by phone.  If you don't care that you might get pneumonia from pushing too fast after the flu, please consider all the other people with problems your pastor is going to help in the next few days.  People who don't need your virus.  People who might die because of this virus.

I'm sorry to hear about DD.  I'll be praying for her.

• Like 2