Menu

MathUSee for High School

Is MathUSee enough for a student who will possibly need college math (likely through calculus)?

My concern is that he would do well with the MathUSee, but when he gets to college text he won't be able to handle the rigor or complication of the problems he would face.

What attracts me to MathUSee is the opportunity to make sure he masters the material and yet still have time to work in review to keep the current material and previous math, like Geometry, fresh. Our current Algebra 2  doesn't leave room for anything like that. I'm concerned he will be challenged, but won't retain long term. And he's putting in tons of time, maybe doing work not truly necessary. 

Edited by sbgrace

My 3 oldest are using or have used MUS for high school.  I think it's fine.  *shrug*. The geometry is a little light...dd14 is complaining about that right now, actually.  I make mine do the Honors Pages + the tests.  I'm getting ready to buy the trigonometry for ds16.

My oldest just tested into the highest math possible at the college a couple of weeks ago (she starts in January, so had to do the placement test).  She is going to major in science.  She didn't use MUS all the way through, though.  She used Saxon Algebra 1 and 2, MUS Geometry and Life of Fred Statistics.  Ironically, she scored really well in the statistics section of the placement test (Go, Life of Fred!  Lol).  

Kids #2 and #3 are using nothing but MUS and their math abilities seem just fine.  I'm predicting they'll score the same as Kid #1.

• Like 2

Some kids can succeed regardless of background due to inherent individual strength of understanding. Other kids need to be taught, practice, and use concepts in unique problems to actually develop understanding.

I have used MUS alg and geo with 7 of my children. And for all 7 it has been used as pre-alg and pre-geo. MUS does not teach to the same depth or complexity of application as the programs we use for alg and geo. 

FWIW, I have never found my kids need to review alg 1 or geo in alg2 bc they are constantly applying earlier concepts to new so while it isn't direct review, it is using those skills.

• Like 2

Here's a success story for you (link below). I know there are others, like Evanthe's above, but I usually see them on other forums, not this one. I only use the geometry, so I can't speak to using it all the way through. However, I think it is more important to use a math that works for your student than to worry about rigor or future success. You could change to a harder program, but will that mean your son is more successful? Not if he doesn't understand it. If MUS works for him, I personally would stick with it.

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/594252-did-using-math-u-see-cause-this/?tab=comments#comment-6897138

• Like 3

Youngest dd used MUS for Precalculus and Calculus in high school.  She is now in college at her 4 year university majoring in math and computer science.  She is a member of Mu Alpha Theta and while at CC was the only first year student selected for Amatyc.  Her professors have always said she has an excellent grasp of conceptual and theoretical side of math. 

FYI, we used TT for Algebra 1, 2, and Geometry.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

Youngest dd used MUS for Precalculus and Calculus in high school.  She is now in college at her 4 year university majoring in math and computer science.  She is a member of Mu Alpha Theta and while at CC was the only first year student selected for Amatyc.  Her professors have always said she has an excellent grasp of conceptual and theoretical side of math. 

FYI, we used TT for Algebra 1, 2, and Geometry.

Did you like the calculus? Ds used Saxon, but I’m thinking of using something else this time around. Is it clear?(I don’t need the height of rigor for dd, but I do want clear)

59 minutes ago, freesia said:

Did you like the calculus? Ds used Saxon, but I’m thinking of using something else this time around. Is it clear?(I don’t need the height of rigor for dd, but I do want clear)

Dd said MUS is quite clear.  She just reminded me that we did MUS Calculus with Saxon Physics.  The math in Saxon Physics was a good supplement.  She said she wanted more math. MUS calculus was not "enough" for her since she wanted vector physics.  This dd LOVES math.  She borrowed oldest dd's boyfriend's college calculus books to work problems for fun. 

• Like 1