Menu

Need super easy, high iron meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner

lewelma

Hi all,

My dad just had surgery and has low iron. My sister has been with them, but is now leaving.  My mom has early stage alzheimers and will be in charge of shopping and preparing the food. She can still handle lists and cooking, but it needs to be easy.  So 5 ingredients or less. I need breakfast (probably fortified cereal), lunch, and dinner for a week.

I'm in NZ, so I don't know USA brands (my parents are in the USA), so if there is good fortified brands, please be specific.  She shops at Kroger. 

ETA: just found out that he has been enjoying soups!  So need high iron soup recipes. 

Thanks!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I've been told that the no list includes: bananna, liver, brussel sprouts, eggplant, and raisons.  So no on the liver.

So far I have a 5 ingredient chili, and a crustless spinach quiche.

Also, I know No tea or dairy with meals. You must have vitamin C food with iron meal. And cooking in cast iron is good

Shrimp fajitas—the peppers and onions help the heme iron from the shellfish bind

black bean burritos served with clementines and a spinach salad

anything red meat

pumpkin seeds (toasted in the oven!)—I usually chased this with a small bit of orange juice as a snack

turkey sandwiches—tomato and a side salad to provide the vitamin C

I have avoided transfusions several times through the use of a food based supplement called Floradix. The type of iron is easily absorbed, much better than the cheap tablets most doctors prescribe.

• Like 2

Lucky Iron Fish, A Natural Source of Iron - A Cooking Tool to Add Iron to Food and Water, Reduce The Risk of Iron Deficiency - An Iron Supplement Alternative, Ideal for Pregnant Women and Vegans https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX5S5FP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WwpPDbKTAH37X

for in the soup pot? 

Maybe hunky red beef stew meat and vegetables including spinach in the soup?

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the cereal with milk. My sister's idea because the cereal was fortified. But with milk. IDK

I've put one orange on the list for each dinner.

Apparently they eat salad for lunch, so I'm going to recommend chicken thigh cooked in bulk and frozen, and then one put on top each day. Plus pumpkin seeds.  Anything else high iron for a salad?

found a beef stew. How can my mom thicken it easily? 

Edited by lewelma

Beef stew can be thickened with potato flakes. 

Are you also planning around dysphagia (swallowing issues)?

Chicken has much lower heme amounts than beef or shellfish.

Almonds and cashews are two nuts higher in iron, tahini is also pretty high up there. So is chickpea, so hummus is a decent choice... but if there are eating issues, I have some other suggestions.

Just called, he is eating the breakfast cereal with apple juice not milk.

No troubles with eating.  Just lost a lot of blood from elective surgery on his knees, and they didn't do a transfusion, not clear why. 

Basically, he can't cook for himself, and my mom is about 70% there, so needs to be easy foods. 

Will look for potato flakes.

Chicken thigh is something she can precook and put in the freezer, and thigh is decent for iron.  She could do some ground beef too. 

All dinners are beef and beans 

• Like 1

Prunes
Oatmeal--as is or pancakes
Molasses cookies (which also helps keep things moving if the iron constipates him)
Beet and beet greens
Broccoli
Cream of wheat (farina)

Soup--Italian wedding soup. It has greens and beef and chicken and/or chicken stock, the pasta can be fortified pasta
Beef barley soup--can add veggies or greens
Beef gravy on potatoes (potatoes for C)

• Like 1