Menu

What's with the ads?

SKL

For fun - what was the first "nostalgic songs" song?

I was thinking over the weekend of songs that are about nostalgic older songs (like Yesterday Once More - Carpenters 1973).  I thought it would be fun to list all the nostalgic song songs we can think of, and figure out what was the first one (given that radio has only been around so long).  We can also include nostalgic dance songs (like Crocodile Rock - Elton John 1973).

Anyone want to play?

• Like 1

Simon and Garfunkel - almost all their songs are nostalgic to me, but especially "Feeling Groovy." 

Most of Harry Chapin's songs, especially "All the world's a circle." 

Chris de Burgh - Spaceman came travelling. It's an "elevator" song now, but man that song just brings back some cool memories.

What I mean is, a song that is about songs that are nostalgic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, SKL said:

I was thinking over the weekend of songs that are about nostalgic older songs (like Yesterday Once More - Carpenters 1973).  I thought it would be fun to list all the nostalgic song songs we can think of, and figure out what was the first one (given that radio has only been around so long).  We can also include nostalgic dance songs (like Crocodile Rock - Elton John 1973).

Anyone want to play?

I don’t believe we could think of it from our own lifetime experience. My dad (born 1922) listened to 40’s era music while working in the garage, and many of those songs were nostalgic for him. 

6 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Does American Pie count?   

I can't really think of any others.   Same Old Lang Syne  Dan Fogelberg?

First song I thought of too!

Take Me Home Tonight (not only references the song Be My Baby, but features the original singer: "Just like Ronnie sang...be my little baby")

R.O.C.K. in the USA

More Than a Feeling

ETA: When Smokey Sings

Edited by MercyA

I'm not sure if this counts or not - not sure how long back the memory of the singer goes - but this one is from 1961.

3 hours ago, Learning fun said:

Billy Joel’s Goodnight Saigon 

This one makes me cry every time I hear it. I guess cause my dad was in Vietnam.

i always think anything by the Beatles.

• Like 1

The Yankee Doodle Boy (1904)? Wikipedia says Yankee Doodle may have originated in Holland in the 15th century.