Menu

Sensory Issue Diagnosis

SA Homeschooler

What type of doctor would diagnose sensory issues?  As a homeschooled only child it was easy to keep things as quiet as he likes but now, while he is away at college things are different.,  Fortunately, he is currently in a single room and manages to do most of his studying there in relatively quiet environment but for next year, we'd like to have an actual diagnosis so that it can be submitted for accommodations.  Thank you for your help!  I have always appreciated the wisdom of the hive!!

My daughter got a diagnosis and referral for accommodations from a Psychologist, rather than an md.  She saw one in the city where the college is and dealt with it herself.  I don’t know what all it involved.  
The accommodations she was asking for where things like extra time on tests and a quiet testing environment rather than housing accommodations.  I don’t know what the rules are about housing accommodations.

• Like 1

Usually an occupational therapist is the one to diagnose sensory issues (at least in pediatric).  However, you might need a team effort with the OT and a psychologist report to get what the college disabilities services needs for official paperwork.  Have your child check into that directly for what is needed. (or see if college website has that answer).  When my oldest daughter was in college she got her adhd diagnosis through a psychologist.  The report included housing accommodations for single room for some reason or other.  She elected not to get the single room until junior year however. 

• Like 3

I think it would not hurt to contact the housing office or disability office and see which one it would be, and then see if they require “medical.”  Sometimes they do, and won’t accept OT.  Or that might not be why, but sometimes they want it to be from certain credentials and don’t accept others.  

On the other hand, what if they would accept a doctors note?  That might be a lot easier.  

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, SA Homeschooler said:

What type of doctor would diagnose sensory issues?  As a homeschooled only child it was easy to keep things as quiet as he likes but now, while he is away at college things are different.,  Fortunately, he is currently in a single room and manages to do most of his studying there in relatively quiet environment but for next year, we'd like to have an actual diagnosis so that it can be submitted for accommodations.  Thank you for your help!  I have always appreciated the wisdom of the hive!!

What kind of accommodations? Housing, exams, essays? It might be worth finding out what accommodation are actually offered at the college, and find out if you need a diagnosis and if so, from who.