Menu

Biology in a semester

So I took a gamble that dd would be able to take Biology as a dual-credit class in the spring. The university schedules came out today, and the class she needs isn't there (Bio for non-majors). Plan B isn't being offered either (online - no lab- we would have done a kit at home).

Plan C- the local high school that is on the block schedule- is not exciting either one of us. It's a good teacher and she would have a friend in the class, but she already did regular high school bio in 6th grade (although this is honors), the 9th-grade drama is thick at the high school, and the class meets at 9:30- 11am, 5 days a week, right in the middle of her otherwise productive mornings.

I'm kind of warming up to the idea of not being tied to a school schedule in the spring, but she needs a year of biology... starting now. We may to do a book + kit, but is there something self-paced? Some amazing teaching who has posted their syllabus or videos online? Thinkwell looks like overkill (and she wants a book of some sort if she has videos). I like biology, and don't mind teaching it.

She plans to take the SAT subject test in May or June. She has already done regular chemistry and algebra-based physics, as well.

Thanks for helping me think through this.

Edited by MamaSprout

How about using the Oak Meadow syllabus?  

Or, if it were me, I'd just get a non-majors college text that is designed for a one semester course (along with a lab kit) and work through that.  We liked Essential Biology, but I'm sure there are others.

• Like 1

One idea:  use the Biology clep prep course for free on ModernStates.org  then do your SAT subject test prep book.  add in what you need to make it a lab.  My  middle daughter only needed biology for non majors in college sequence.  And she did apologia biology in grade 9 and then a few years later did the modernstates course (along with clep practice tests from petersons and rea) and passed the clep and got credit at her college.  (If she had still needed high school credits I would have no issue granting high school year credit from that no matter what the clock hours say.)   maybe an adaptation of that path could work in your case with just different test prep materials.   definitely doable in a semester time at your own pace.  included videos and an online text in the course. (make sure to read the text too)  you can add labs as you want for high school.  and test prep.  edit to add link to the course https://modernstates.org/course/biology/

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 3