Menu

What are your favourite books for kids ages 3-6?

I'm thinking something newer that I may not have heard yet (not the fav. classics like Goodnight Moon, etc). Any ideas?

A newer one we love is Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen.

I also like Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman.

My boys like Alphabet Mystery and Alphabet Rescue by Bruce and Audrey Wood, but I find them rather blah.

Are you familiar with Keiko Kasza's books (The Wolf's Chicken Stew, A Mother for Choco, The Mightiest, and many others)? We like her stories a lot and have given her books as gifts.

Just a start . . . there are too many to list!

Just a few that stand out this morning:

The Grouchy Ladybug by Carle

The Carrot Seed by Krauss

Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? by Carlstrom

The Red Carpet by Parkin

The Big Green Pocketbook by Ransom & Bond

We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Rosen & Oxenbury

I believe I read most of these from Before Five in a Row, and they became instant family favorites.

My son is 3 going on 4, so we fall into the lower end of that category! He loves books and here are some of his favorite:

The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza by Philemon Sturges

Little Bear by Elsa Holmelund Minarik

Ten in the Bed by Penny Dale

But NO Elephants by Jerry Smath

10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle (anything by Eric Carle is a hit)

Curious George by H.A. Rey

Ten Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.

The Booklets' Baking Boo Boo by Ken Gire (Any books in the Kids' Praise Adventure Series) - Christian/Values

We recently found the author/illustrator Lois Ehlert, (also illustrated Chicka Chicka Boom Boom) and we seem to enjoy these books, as well.

I love this early stage of reading!

My 4.5-year-old thinks anything by Mo Willems is hysterical (all the Pigeon books, like The Pigeon Finds a Hotdog but also Knuffle Bunny). She's also a Fancy Nancy fan.

We recently discovered Tad Hills, who wrote Duck and Goose as well as Duck, Duck, Goose.

We really like Audrey Wood, especially King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, The Napping House, and Silly Sally.

Karma Wilson's books are fun, too: Bear Snores On, Bear's New Friend, and Bear Wants More.

A few of my favorites that she enjoys are Zin, Zin, Zin: A Violin, I Took the Moon for a Walk, and Two Cool Cows.

What a fun thread! :001_smile:

I have to agree with Kirsten...we love Mo Willems, Karma Wilson, and Audrey Wood.

We also look for books by Keiko Kasza (also mentioned above), The Five Little Monkey books by Christelow, anything by Jan Brett, and Bill Peet. Bill Peet books can be a little bit long, but my kids both liked them enough to sit through them even at age 3. His books that rhyme are even better than the regular stories.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Poetry, poetry, poetry! If you start them early, they'll love it forever.

Here is my absolute favorite for that age. The illustrations by Polly Dunbar are so playful and gorgeous. The poetry selections are nice for the age.

Here's a Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry, compiled by Jane Yolen

http://www.amazon.com/Heres-Little-Poem-First-Poetry/dp/0763631418/ref=ed_oe_h

Kristina

William Steig: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, The Amazing Bone.

Bill Peet: Cowardly Clyde, How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head.

Tomie DePaola's legends.

David Weisner's books: Sector 7, The Three Pigs, Flotsam, Tuesday.

The Abbeville Anthologies: Father Son Tales, Mother Daughter Tales, Stories from the Stars, Stories from the Sea.

How I Became a Pirate by Long/Shannon; all Kevin O'Malley books; Weird Parents by Audrey Wood (and lots of others she's written); The Great Fuzz Frenzy by Janet Stevens; What are you So Grumpy About? by Tom Lichetenheld; Parts (and sequels) by Tedd Arnold; Raising Dragons (and others) by Jerdine Nolen.

That's a partial list of the books we loved so much we bought them.

There are so many...here are a few I can think of:

Sakes Alive! A Cattle Drive! my son loved this http://www.amazon.com/Sakes-Alive-Cattle-Drive-Wilson/dp/0316988413

We just read our first Keiko Kasza book--My Lucky Day--and loved it

http://www.amazon.com/My-Lucky-Day-Keiko-Kasza/dp/014240456X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227649142&sr=1-2'>http://www.amazon.com/My-Lucky-Day-Keiko-Kasza/dp/014240456X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227649142&sr=1-2'>http://www.amazon.com/My-Lucky-Day-Keiko-Kasza/dp/014240456X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227649142&sr=1-2'>http://www.amazon.com/My-Lucky-Day-Keiko-Kasza/dp/014240456X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227649142&sr=1-2

We love Dr. Seuss, especially the longer stories (we have the compilation Six by Suess) http://www.amazon.com/My-Lucky-Day-Keiko-Kasza/dp/014240456X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227649142&sr=1-2

My son also loved Milk and Cookies by Frank Asch (and other of his books)

http://www.amazon.com/COOKIES-FRANK-Parents-Magazine-Hardcover/dp/B0018FCPDG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227649319&sr=1-3

Dd loves Olivia the Pig books

Here are some of favorites:

Piggies - Audrey Wood

Jamberry

The Quiltmaker's Gift and the Quiltmaker's Journey

The Country Bunny and the Golden Shoes

The Philharmonic Gets Dressed

Rumplestiltskin - Paul Zelinsky ( the illustrations are amazing!)

Mrs. Rumphius - Barbara Clooney

The Big Red Barn - Margaret Brown ( she also wrote Goodnight Moon)

Barn Dance

Melissa

I'm enjoying this list too. My youngest just turned three and I'm taking notes for Christmas. Some of these are new to me, and others are ones I remember reading to my older kids but haven't remembered to try with the youngest. That's what happens when you have six years between kids--you forget!)

Some we like that haven't been mentioned yet:

This is the Bear and the Scary Night

Oops (also Boo by the same author)

The Kiss that Missed

Big Al

Platypus and the Lucky Day

Courderoy

My son likes these and I enjoy reading them as well. (In contrast, my kids love Mo Williams's books, but I find them very awkward to read aloud.)

The BFIAR , and most of the FIAR booklist, especially Mike Mulligan, Katy and the Big Snow, Katy No-Pocket, Big Green Pocketbook, Miss Rumphius, Roxaboxen, Cranberry Thanksgiving, Night of the Moonjellies, Madeline, Papa Piccolo, Caps For Sale, Jesse Bear, Runaway Bunny, The Bee Tree

Berenstein Bears Big Book of Science and Nature (from Sonlight pre-K)

All of Robert McCloskey's books (guess they would count as classics though)

All of Virginia Lee Burton's books-- besides the ones that are well-known, there are: Maybelle the Cable Car, Stewy Stinker, and Choo-choo.

Hello, Snow! by Melanie Kroupa

the Frances Books, by Russell and Lillian Hoban

Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild! by Mem Fox

Bill and Pete books, by Tomie de Paola (also Strega Nona, by same author)

The Seven Silly Eaters, by Mary Ann Hoberman

The Two Sillies, also by Mary Ann Hoberman

George and Martha, by James Marshall

In the Night Kitchen and Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (maybe only for little boys though, the little boy in it is nude at one point)

Boom, Chicka Rock by John Archambault

Alphabet Soup, by Scott Gustafson

Duck on a Bike, by David Shannon

Thunder Cake, and Rechenka's Eggs, by Patricia Polacco

The Bed Book, by Sylvia Plath

many of the Bill Peet books

Knuffle Bunny, by Mo Willems

Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms Taback

Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges and Trina S. Hyman (more fr age 5-6+ I think )

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale by Verna Aardema

Dr. Desoto, by William Steig

An Extraordinary Egg, by Leo Lionni

Seconding Dogger and adding Shirley Hughes Alfie books.

A lot of Jim Arnosky's books are big hits with my almost 3 year old. The Sea Turtle one sort of makes me cry.

Oh, and speaking of that, I adore (and, umm, so do my kids) Peggy Rathmann's The Day the Babies Crawled Away. All of Peggy Rathmann is great--she just has a few, but the quality is consistent. Ten Minutes to Bedtime is lots of fun.

If you've ever read Dogger by Shirley Hughes. . . .
Seconding Dogger and adding Shirley Hughes Alfie books.

Another vote for Dogger here. It was my elder daughter's favourite for months.

Anything by Kim Lewis, the author of Floss.

I'll second Kim Lewis books.

Others we've enjoyed are:

Mog books by Judith Kerr

Old Bob's Brown Bear and Not so Fast, Songololo by Niki Daly

Fritz and the Beautiful Horses by Jan Brett

Books with an African flavour:

Kalinzu and the Ox-peckers by Jeremy Grimsdell. I see that it is unforetunately out of print and also sold as Kalinzu: A story from Africa

Fly Eagle Fly by Christopher Gregorowski

Bookchat, a South African children's book site has other great suggestions.

Edited by Hannah

for your 5yodd, have you considered (or seen) Fancy Nancy?? I purchased a few of these for my great nieces and they LOVE them! I bought the 5yo a Fancy Nancy Dictionary-type book that gives fancy words. She's been telling her dad that he looks "dapper." These books are SO precious. I LOVE the illustrations and I just think it's really nice for kids to be exposed to the fancier words, especially in this day and age when so much of that is lost.

Just an idea...

Any of the Skippyjon Jones books by Judy Schachner - they are HYSTERICAL.

Lynley Dodd books - Hairy Maclary, Zachary Quack, Slinky Malinky. LOVE these.

Miss Spider's Tea Party by David Kirk - Abbie loved that book and still pulls it out.

Hermie, A Common Caterpillar by Max Lucado - I cannot tell you how many times we read this book. Not one of my personal favorites, but my girls loved it.

For the older end of your age range, some of the longer Dr. Seuss - The Lorax, Scrambled Eggs Super, McGelligot's Pool are favorites here but might be a bit long for a 3 yo.

Toot and Puddle books by Holly Hobbie - we still love these.

Olivia by Ian Falconer - love this one, and he uses wonderful artwork.

Sandra Boynton - Barnyard Dance, But Not The Hippopotamus, Hippos Go Berserk are my very favorites. Dh likes The Going To Bed Book. I also like Pajama Time. Any of hers are fun, especially for the younger end of your age range.

All I'm coming up with in my head are "classics" now but if I come across any others I will post them. All the kidlets are asleep and the books are in their rooms. :)