Menu

Anyone a certified PA teacher?

We’re considering moving to PA which is highly regulated. I’m in NJ which is unregulated.  I’m also a certified NJ teacher.  My teaching license is not active because I’ve been homeschooling my kids and not currently employed as a teacher. However, in talking with the PA Dept of Ed, it seems that I have the credentials to get certified just by going through the application process. They even have my test scores on file in PA because I originally had them sent to both to NJ and PA, not knowing where I would end up. 

My question is, how much easier is it to homeschool in PA under the private tutor provision? What exactly do you have to do and do you need to compete continuing education credits each year?  Are you really not required to jump through all the other hoops like portfolio submissions, testing, evaluators? 

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I don't know, but I will say homeschoolers in my state who have their licensure will often have booming business in the summers doing portfolio reviews. So I'd get certified in PA since you can and take advantage of the perks!

I’m just not sure yet if/when we will move. It’s hard to leave an unregulated state for a highly regulated one! 😉😂 But it *seems* that it’s a lot easier as a certified teacher. 

I know nothing about homeschooling in PA, but as a teacher who has moved to a new state with no intention of teaching, if it is that easy to get the license, I would suggest you do it just because you can, I kept up a specialized license that I have but haven’t used in 12 years and a lucrative job opportunity just fell in my lap this fall. I would never been able to take advantage of it if I hadn’t kept up my certification 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

I’m just not sure yet if/when we will move. It’s hard to leave an unregulated state for a highly regulated one! 😉😂 But it *seems* that it’s a lot easier as a certified teacher. 

Well you could come one state over to Ohio, which is Utopia. :biggrin: Nah I hear you on the regulations. It seems like they go way beyond regulations and are just officious. And if the politics are that way that allow that and it bugs you, maybe the mood of the state is that way too? I don't know.