Menu

What's with the ads?

Attolia

UPDATE DH says I should stay in a hotel....

alone.  That it would be good for me to drop dd off on Friday (3 hours away) and instead of coming home and going back for her on Saturday I should just stay in a hotel.  He said that if I take school stuff then maybe I can get a lot of this planning done for DD.  It is a sweet gesture.  I got married at 19 and had my oldest a year later and have only been alone once - when I took older dd for the parent information session for her scholarship they booked us into a hotel for 2 nights and it was just me and it was terrifyingly quiet.  Like no noise.  None.  Nada. Nilch.  There was no one else there at night. It felt so lonely.

I am happy not to be doing so much driving and for the time to plan but .... so quiet.

UPDATE in a post somewhere (really, why did they rid of post numbers?!?!??!)

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 9

What are you waiting for?  START PACKING BEFORE HE CHANGES HIS MIND!!! 😉

If you’re worried about staying alone overnight, can you invite a friend to go along with you?

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 19
  • Haha 3

I’ve had occasion to do this a couple times the past year and it is awesome!   I was practically an old lady at 29 when I got married and I did a fair amount of business travel prior. Think of it as modeling good independence skills for your daughter.  ❤️

Enjoy!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

If you’re worried about staying alone overnight, can you invite a friend to go along with you?

It isn't that I am worried, per se.  I just never have such silence and if you aren't accustomed to such silence it can feel weird, right?  😑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Attolia said:

It isn't that I am worried, per se.  I just never have such silence and if you aren't accustomed to such silence it can feel weird, right?  😑

Turn on the radio and find a station with music for background noise

Or download music on your phone.

• Like 4

Granted, I got married at 29, but I have often gone to hotels alone......work conferences, visiting people/places/traveling.  

I would go and enjoy it.  But that may just be me.

• Like 1

Pack yo bags and enjoy.

My dh hates the silence when traveling—he often finds a nearby Starbucks to work in and turns up the HVAC at night for white noise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Attolia said:

LOL.....Probably for some people.  I would be loving that.  Someone like my mom though....no way.  Not even when we were kids would she have wanted to be alone for a weekend.  People are just different.

• Like 1

Pick one with a hot tub and stay in it till it closes. Then order it takeout and watch movies. I'm pretty sure you can plan curriculum while in a hot tub... :biggrin:

• Like 9

I love going on trips alone, but I also married at 19 and had babies pretty quickly. I do usually watch a lot of movies and listen to podcasts though, because I’ve never been a fan of extended silences alone.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

34 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Pick one with a hot tub and stay in it till it closes. Then order it takeout and watch movies. I'm pretty sure you can plan curriculum while in a hot tub... :biggrin:

Yes!  And if you get lonely, the Hive will be here for you!  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I would be so lonely!  I would wonder why dh was suggesting such a thing for me. (not really, it just is something I would *not* enjoy and he understands that)

That said, I might do it because it meant less driving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

3 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Turn on the radio and find a station with music for background noise

Or download music on your phone.

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Oh my word, I would love that. Years ago when the kids were really little I went with DH on a business trip. I sat in that hotel room all day long in the comfy chair with the down throw over me, the remote control in one hand an a tub of Ben & Jerry’s in the other.  It was heaven. And then the hotel maid came in and cleaned the bathroom.... I just about cried. Because I wasn’t the one having to clean the bathroom for once.

• Like 6

Coming up next week will be the second time I’m travelling for work and the second time I’ve gone somewhere by myself. Ever! The first time, I was gone for two weeks, and didn’t admit it to anyone. There is a certain assurance, though, that anything that could happen while travelling, I’ve already handled with two little kiddos in tow! This time will be different, as I won’t have anyone to hang out with in my down time. 

• Like 1

I LOVE silence and having time to myself. Can I drop your daughter off for you?

Signed,

An 18 year old bride who also started having babies at 20. 

• Haha 1

Oh how I would love some time alone in a nice hotel room!  I also  used to travel for work, pre-kids. That was a long time ago.

Couple years ago I booked a hotel for my daughter and me when she went to her boyfriend's prom. He lives 50 miles away and I didn't want him driving back and forth x2 (not even sure if he could have driven late at night at that time) so I decided we'd just stay in their town. It felt so luxurious!  

• Like 2

I didn't marry at 19, but I had my first kid at 18.  

Other than like 3 work trips, over a decade ago, that *still* involved sharing a hotel room/suite with people I didn't even know, I don't think I have ever traveled without DH or the kids, or some combo......like since I was an adult. 

Go.  And, Go.  And go.  

Having said that, I completely understand the silence thing.  I am a person who....well I guess I process noise pretty well.  It might come from, or maybe it's why, I generally have a high volume.  Silence can be so....................loud.

But, a hotel room can be made less silent with a TV set to some tv show you wouldn't normally watch with kids around, or even a white noise app on your phone.  

Being able to swim in a pool without worrying about a 5yr old drowning....amazing.

Being able to order something at a restaurant without asking if they have a kids menu....amazing

Being able to decide that I want to go out at 10pm and get some DQ, without having to factor 3 other kids desserts into the budget (aka, deciding I couldn't spend THAT much)...amazing

• Like 1

Gurl, make that reservation ASAP!

That quiet is like nothing else. Pure heaven. Once you get past the first little bit of “this feels odd,” it is awesome. 

• Like 1

ok, ya'll are always good at what you do, haha.  Reservation made ❤️  

• Like 16

If you had to travel alone a lot, or you were coming home to an empty home, maybe this wouldn't be a great gift. However, you don't do this often and you will probably come home to a wee bit of chaos and noise. Enjoy the silence and the opportunity to do whatever you feel like doing! 

• Like 2

Your DH is looking out for you. It will save you approximately six (6) hours of extra driving, to say nothing of the fuel and other costs of operating your car. That you were in a Hotel that was so quiet probably was because it was almost empty.

When we Check In to a property, I have two (2) requests: (1) If possible, a room that was renovated recently and (2) A quiet room, not near Elevators or Ice Machines, etc.

Enjoy the trip!

• Like 1

Go. It is just for a day and it is a good change for you. 

I have live music streaming apps on my phone. I turn on music when I am alone in a hotel room and keep working on my laptop. Otherwise, I go to the closest Peet's Coffee or Starbucks and work on my laptop if I felt like being around people. I also make phone calls from my hotel room, so that takes some time. Add in time for going out to pick up dinner and similar things, there is hardly any time to feel alone. If I were you, I would get an early night and enjoy the stay - maybe even go for a walk around that area if possible.

• Like 1

Ok, for real this has been so nice ❤️. I think what added to last time was that my oldest child was about to be left at college for the first time!  Those were some crazy feelings to be left alone in a hotel with lol.  BTW, HGTV is great background noise 😉. And I used a soft rain soundtrack last night.  Oh, and they had a $5 mini bottle of wine so I totally took them up on that offer.

On the downside, I haven't actually gotten that much done 😑  I never watch tv alone and I found this show on Netflix called New Girl.  Not the wisest decision but oh well. So this morning and afternoon I will need to work hard to make this time beneficial.  🤣

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 14
  • Haha 2

Just for fun haha

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Attolia said:

Ok, for real this has been so nice ❤️. I think what added to last time was that my oldest child was about to be left at college for the first time!  Those were some crazy feelings to be left alone in a hotel with lol.  BTW, HGTV is great background noise 😉. And I used a soft rain soundtrack last night.  Oh, and they had a $5 mini bottle of wine so I totally took them up on that offer.

On the downside, I haven't actually gotten that much done 😑  I never watch tv alone and I found this show on Netflix called New Girl.  Not the wisest decision but oh well. So this morning and afternoon I will need to work hard to make this time beneficial.  🤣

Hey now, rest and relaxation IS beneficial 🙂

I'm glad your are enjoying your time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, maize said:

Hey now, rest and relaxation IS beneficial 🙂

I'm glad your are enjoying your time.

Yes, rest and relaxation IS beneficial!!!  That planning and other stuff isn't going anywhere.  Get out, enjoy yourself, go shopping, eat a nice dinner.  Just enjoy this time!!!

• Thanks 1

Yes, do NOT feel guilty about getting nothing done.  Recharge and relax.  Enjoy the quiet and time to yourself.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1