Menu

Calculators for PSAT 8/9?

I just heard back from the school where my boys are taking their first PSAT test (next Wednesday).  They will be taking the PSAT 8/9, which I also just found out.  This is for practice in testing in this kind of environment (taking their first SAT2 in June) and I'm not concerned about their results, but we are going to run through a practice test on Monday for them to get an idea of the allotted time per section and being familiar with the bubble sheet.  There will not be any cramming or anything after the practice test -- LOL.

Anyway, they are allowed to bring a calculator, but have not used a graphing calculator yet.  They can bring a 4 function calculator, which they are used to, but that type of calculator isn't recommended per the college board website.  Should they bring it anyway?  I don't think it is worth stressing them out about learning a graphing calculator in a week's time :-).  They have not used a calculator on their annual standardized testing up to this point.  

Any other tips/advice for us newbies?

Mine have always used a scientific (non graphing) calculator. On the ACT, it speeds up calculations sometimes. I don't know how much DD used it on the PSAT & SAT. The 4 function calc wouldn't hurt if they are familiar with using it.

I wouldn't stress them out about the PSAT 8/9 by mentioning too much. No stakes testing. You can remind them there is no penalty for guessing on this one (although there still is on the SAT 2).

• Like 1