Menu

College App Check-in Commiseration Thread

Who wants to weigh in with seniors and college apps? This is about a million times harder than AP exam registration or AP exam prep or SAT prep or all of those combined into one. There are so.many.moving. parts. ACK! Who wants to commisserate?

Here's where we are at:
First deadline - Nov 1 (next Nov 30 - not even thinking of next yet)
Common App Profile - done
Common App Education - not done
Common App Testing - not done
Common App Activities - not done
Common App Courses/Grades - not done
LOR - sent off 4 (2 are completed)
Counselor Letter - in final draft mode
School profile - almost done
Transcript - done
Course descriptions - done
Common App Essay - in revision
Supplement Essay #1 - in revision
Supplement Essay #2 (if applicable) - in revision
Supplement Essay #3 (if applicable) - not started
FAFSA - not started

• Like 2

We don't have common app in our state or at least at the 2 colleges he's applying to...however

He applied to his safety school and he's totally happy to go there if he doesn't get in to the other school and he'll probably transfer later if this happens.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, mirabillis said:

Who wants to weigh in with seniors and college apps? This is about a million times harder than AP exam registration or AP exam prep or SAT prep or all of those combined into one. There are so.many.moving. parts. ACK! Who wants to commisserate?

Here's where we are at:
First deadline - This is today Oct 15 and we are not sending in for EA.
App Profile - done
App Education - done

App Testing -  done
App Activities - done
App Courses/Grades -  done
LOR - not done and school prefer only 1 (2max) one is on the way, not sure we will do 2
Counselor Letter - not required, actually it was done. 

school profile - not requireds apparently this was sent .(we do hybrid school)
Transcript - done 
 Essay #1 - not done rough draft completed  done (10/20)
Essay #2 (- not done  ) rough draft is done! (nov 3)

FAFSA - not started

He's got the grades and gpa from the 75% of last years admitted, but about 30K studenst apply for 5K spots so it's gamble.

edited : updated oct 15, oct 20, nov3

Edited by Mbelle

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaaaaaa!

(DD is not using the Common App as only two of her schools were on it. Didn't seem worth it.)

Some of her schools do not require an essay. 🤔 After her acceptance, they will send her invitations to apply for certain programs (honors, leadership, etc) and THOSE will require essays. But we don't know the topics until she's invited. And that doesn't happen until we've turned in her application. So, there we are.

Here's where we are at:
First deadline - Nov 1 (ALL are due by Dec 1, so that's fun)
App Activities Listing - I HATE THIS PART. She has a well-written, well-organized RESUME. READ IT!
LOR - DD has them secured - but all of her applications aren't complete enough for them to send them all in jussssst yet.
Counselor Letter - Just uploaded DD1s, changed DD1s name to DD2s and am now making revisions to the letter. I'm just out of enthusiasm for this stuff.
School profile - Again, copied DD1s and realized I don't really need to change anything because no one will read this anyway. 😄
Transcript - Finishing it up now with college course titles.
Course descriptions - Just pulled up DD1s and have started revising it for dd2s classes. While doing this, I ponder to myself... "Why didn't I just have them take the same classes? This is ridiculous!" as I search out ISBNs and book titles that I SWORE I had already saved but either didn't, or can't find. Says to self, "I will do better for DS," and then realizes that DS is a junior, so I'm already SOL on that one.
Number 1 App Essay - Rough draft status. We planned for her to do these over the summer. See how well that worked out?
Supplement Essay #1 - Rough draft status
Supplement Essay #2 (if applicable) - Currently residing in her imagination - hopefully fully formed and complete upon delivery, like Aphrodite.
Supplement Essay #3 (if applicable) - I weep
FAFSA - Not even kind of started. Not even entirely clear which year's taxes we are supposed to use for this. In fact, I am in denial that some of these schools probably require the dreaded CSS Profile. {{shudder}}

Obviously, we've got to get our backsides in gear, but luckily this dd inherited the same procrastination gene as her mama and we do our best work when under a close time restraint. Now that there's 3 weeks until her first deadline, she's spent every available moment working on her side of things since last week. So I figure it's time for me to dust off these files and do my part as well...

Edited by easypeasy
got my goddesses mixed up
  • Haha 2

I'm stressed - this is my first senior.  Of course, just my luck the #1 choice uses the Coalition app instead of the Common app so now we have to make sure we get all the pieces in place for both.  Still trying to finalize the college list. DS would be happy with two but I think we need to have some other alternatives just in case.

Here's where we are at:
First deadline - Nov 1 (others due Nov 15 and later)
App Activities Listing - Ds is working on this. 
LOR - Completed. 
Counselor Letter - Working on this. All the samples I read are not helping me. 
School profile - Completed
Transcript - Almost Done
Course descriptions - Hoping I don't have to do these. Depends on final college list.
Number 1 App Essay - Revised draft but needs some tweaking. 
Supplement Essay #1 - Possibly some Why this college? types. Haven't started yet.

FAFSA - No,

18 hours ago, easypeasy said:

App Activities Listing - I HATE THIS PART. She has a well-written, well-organized RESUME. READ IT!
Same here...

Number 1 App Essay - Rough draft status. We planned for her to do these over the summer. See how well that worked out?
Same here... 😲

Supplement Essay #2 (if applicable) - Currently residing in her imagination - hopefully fully formed and complete upon delivery, like Aphrodite.
Love this! LOL!

Supplement Essay #3 (if applicable) - I weep 
HAHAHA

Well we'll be on the first deadline together... nothing like a deadline to light the flame under our backsides!!

• Like 1

OP that is a very busy and stressful time. I noticed that you haven't begun working on the FAFSA form for the 2020 to 2021 school year. I suggest that you make that a priority. The earlier that is submitted, the more $ is available. Take it one step at a time and do the best that you can.

• Like 1

Thank you for the heads-up, Lanny. I think I'll try to tackle that today.... just to reiterate what I've seen in your PSA.
1. First both student & parent go https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm to get our own FSA IDs?
2. And then student (and/or parent helping student) go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa to start the FAFSA?

Tell me we're not too late, starting just 9 days later than opened?

• Like 1

We're in CA and they have their own special app... that hasn't even begun yet! (That ends Nov 30) This is just the standard Common App for the vast majority of ds's schools.... 

Can I reiterate JoJosmom? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo............. 😅

Edited by mirabillis
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Just reading this thread makes me feel sick. 

Hugs. Lots of hugs. 

I wear a fitness tracking watch. My heart rate spiked after I read it. Seriously. 😳

Eventually I will attempt to participate intelligently in this conversation. But apparently now is not that time. 😳

(But please know that I feel you, sisters. Big hugs.)

• Like 2

Having a kid who is a freshman now and having 2 years to kid number 2 feels super relaxing!  Ugh - that was such a tough stretch.  My kid auditioned for music programs too which was another level of torture I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

Hang in there all!  You're getting there and it will all turn out well in the end.  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

My kid auditioned for music programs too which was another level of torture I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

I will be dealing with music auditions with one of my kids. I have long ways still, but the thought of it is terrifying and expensive (plus instrument needs a separate ticket). I don’t want to even think how we will deal with this.

• Like 2

FAFSA is in my list for next week. It's not that hard to do, but it takes some time to pull all the info together and finding that block of time is hard with an infant to take care of and interrupting my concentration 🙂

Apps are due Nov 1. No idea how his progress is going, he kind of likes to play stuff close to the vest and be a man and go it alone without his mom's interference. I do know he has asked for 2 LoRs, but I don't know if they have been submitted yet. My counselor portion is done, thanks to the hours and hours and hours I spent when 1st DS was applying. If I had to do it all this year for the first time with a new baby I would be pulling my hair out and freaking out completely!!!!!

• Like 1

I can definitely commiserate. I started on my part last spring and just finalized everything a few weeks ago. My dd got her CA essay and one of her longer supplemental essays done over the summer thanks to Maya’s college essay class. She’s knocked out more since then, but she still has a few essays left, depending on how many more apps we decide to complete.  It seems that many of the colleges she is applying to have 2-3 supplemental essays in addition to the CA essay. Yuck!

We have done a bunch of college visits and knocked a few off of our list. Between the two selective state schools she’s applied to and the non-selective school my ds is at, I actually think she’d be happier at my ds’ school in their honors program, which is quite a surprise, but nice because it takes some of the pressure off and has led us to apply to fewer schools than we’d originally planned. 

Anyway, it feels like it is a never ending process and I’m starting to think some of her reach schools may not really have been worth the effort. I’m kind of starting to wish selective colleges had never been put on our radar when I see how happy and low stress the experience for her could be at my ds’ school. We just attended a day there where she got to hear a panel of students in their honors and leadership programs and she sat in on an upper level Latin class where the students were far more engaged and welcoming than at our state flagship/public ivy. And she wouldn’t have to spend 9-16 hours a day on academics as recommended by the student she shadowed at the other public ivy! 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, mirabillis said:

We're in CA and they have their own special app... that hasn't even begun yet! (That ends Nov 30) This is just the standard Common App for the vast majority of ds's schools.... 

Can I reiterate JoJosmom? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo............. 😅

What is it with the schools that don’t use the common app? One of our state schools that my dd was considering doesn’t use it and we decided to just skip it. There are a few schools like that and as soon as I see they aren’t using the CA, I’m like, forget it. Not worth it unless it was a school on the top of my dd’s list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom0012 said:

What is it with the schools that don’t use the common app? One of our state schools that my dd was considering doesn’t use it and we decided to just skip it. There are a few schools like that and as soon as I see they aren’t using the CA, I’m like, forget it. Not worth it unless it was a school on the top of my dd’s list.

Actually I’m really happy that several of the schools ds is interested in don’t take the CA because it let us avoid it altogether and those schools typically have simpler applications, fwiw. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Actually I’m really happy that several of the schools ds is interested in don’t take the CA because it let us avoid it altogether and those schools typically have simpler applications, fwiw. 

I have noticed those applications are simpler. But, since we’ve already invested hours and hours in the CA, the last thing we want to tackle is extra applications. But, I can see it would be a definite advantage if none of the schools you were applying to were CA schools. 

I would think not using the CA would really reduce the the number of apps a school would receive. Maybe that is the point? It makes weeding through applications simpler for the school? But then, think of all the application fees they’d be forgoing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom0012 said:

I have noticed those applications are simpler. But, since we’ve already invested hours and hours in the CA, the last thing we want to tackle is extra applications. But, I can see it would be a definite advantage if none of the schools you were applying to were CA schools. 

I would think not using the CA would really reduce the the number of apps a school would receive. Maybe that is the point? It makes weeding through applications simpler for the school? But then, think of all the application fees they’d be forgoing.

I'd much rather deal with individual school apps than the CA. I'm so glad my Dd isn't applying to a CA school bc the U app is so much easier to deal with.

FWIW, I personally cannot imagine making a 4 yr educational decision based on whether or not a school uses its own app or the CA, especially since my kids received huge merit awards from schools where they filled out the individual school app. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I'd much rather deal with individual school apps than the CA. I'm so glad my Dd isn't applying to a CA school bc the U app is so much easier to deal with.

FWIW, I personally cannot imagine making a 4 yr educational decision based on whether or not a school uses its own app or the CA, especially since my kids received huge merit awards from schools where they filled out the individual school app. 

Uh, these schools were not her top choices or even in the middle. They were schools we were thinking about as back ups to her safeties and decided we didn’t need them. Perhaps I was being too flippant if I left you with the idea that I am so inept that I would refuse to put in applications to schools that would be great fit for my dd because the app isn’t through the CA. Not what I meant at all. Just trying to commiserate on the commiseration thread. 🙂

• Like 1

OK so I've got some updates. Both ds & I have made a wee bit of progress... YAY!!! Most of ds's are CA - he'll start there. Then we've got the school specific for state Us. And then his safety, safety is U of Alabama (full ride merit possibility) and that is its own unique app all its own... but probably worth it as it's a safety, safety.

Common App Education - not done - DONE
Common App Testing - not done - DONE
Common App Activities - not done  - WORKING ON IT
Common App Courses/Grades - not done - ALMOST DONE (only 1 school requires courses spelled out 9-12. ugh)
School profile - almost done DONE
Transcript - done DONE
Course descriptions - done DONE
Supplement Essay #3 (if applicable) - not started STARTED
FAFSA - not started DONE DONE DONE! Thank you Lanny for spurring me on. 🙂 Now I think I have to look into the CSS Profile? Oh please no!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am watching this year, since DD is a junior. I'm hoping to have her do her apps over the summer. So far, she has two common app schools and two separate apps, and is still adding to her list. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, mirabillis said:

This is about a million times harder than AP exam registration or AP exam prep or SAT prep or all of those combined into one.

Yes it is!  I sure hope ds gets an acceptance where he wants to go after all this work.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, Shellydon said:

DD completed all of her applications in July. 2 schools use a  state application and the others are all private and use their own application. she has heard back from all and been accepted into all. Now to choose. 

Congratulations. That’s wonderful. All the best to her

For my student
First deadline - Rolling admission done 
Common App Profile - done
Common App Education - done
Common App Testing - done
Common App Activities - done
Common App Courses/Grades - done
LOR - done 
Counselor Letter - finally done 
School profile - done 
Transcript - done
Course descriptions - done
Common App Essay - done 
Supplement Essay #1 - done 
Supplement Essay #2 (if applicable) - in revision
Supplement Essay #3 (if applicable) - in revision 

common app completed and submitted for first 2 schools, 3 remaining. 
FAFSA - done 

I am SOOOO glad I made my DS do the large majority of work for his college apps in July/August.   He is completely finished with all of them, and has been accepted at 3 schools so far (one with a Presidential scholarship offer).   I begged my DH to do the FAFSA, and he did that last week when he had a day off from work.   We have our Florida Financial Aid app done, Bright Futures service hours verified, SAT/ACT scores sent, DE transcripts sent.   I HOPE all we have left to do is to sit back and wait for letters of acceptance and financial aid packages.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, SebastianCat said:

I am SOOOO glad I made my DS do the large majority of work for his college apps in July/August.   He is completely finished with all of them, and has been accepted at 3 schools so far (one with a Presidential scholarship offer).   I begged my DH to do the FAFSA, and he did that last week when he had a day off from work.   We have our Florida Financial Aid app done, Bright Futures service hours verified, SAT/ACT scores sent, DE transcripts sent.   I HOPE all we have left to do is to sit back and wait for letters of acceptance and financial aid packages.

Awesome!!! That was my idea heading into the summer but things didn’t work out that way. We are still doing better than I thought so I’m glad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lilaclady said:

Awesome!!! That was my idea heading into the summer but things didn’t work out that way. We are still doing better than I thought so I’m glad. 

Me too. Didn't work out quite like I'd planned either... but we're trucking along. Nothing like a deadline to spur you faster. Hopefully a lesson learned for my younger kids.

I did tackle the course descriptions, transcript & school profile over the summer. Finished most of it and was pleased when I re-opened it how well my first drafts were. Ended up tinkering and totally re-designing, but most of the content effort remained the same. Counselor letter? Planned to, but didn't start until... um... late September. LOL. Now I think I'm on like draft #4 and it's really shaping up - very pleased with it. I think I'm done with it.

DS could not get him to tackle anything over the summer, so now he's rushing to handle all the essays, etc. But we're plugging along. Think it'll all work out fine. Probably won't apply to as many as we'd intended, throwing our net wide, b/c seeing them in CommonApp - the amount of unrelated supplemental essays might about kill us!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mbelle said:

Is anyone doing a resume?  It's not required by one college, but they will accept it.  The other college doesn't want one.

My dd has a resume but no school has asked for one. She used the information on there for her activities etc. it’s nice to have one handy 

• Like 3

On 10/22/2019 at 1:05 AM, SebastianCat said:

Congrats on getting it all done!

We are still trucking along...

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 6:37 PM, mirabillis said:

Probably won't apply to as many as we'd intended, throwing our net wide, b/c seeing them in CommonApp - the amount of unrelated supplemental essays might about kill us!

Same here. Application fatigue. A few more supplemental to write for initial applications, and then it’s time for the honors applications. I had thought there would be more overlap in essay questions and short answers, but as it turns out, not so much.

In some ways it feels too early to have everything at the beginning of senior year. But in a lot of ways I think it’s a good thing to push hard and then be done and not have to think about it for a few months.

Edited by Penelope

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:26 PM, mirabillis said:

Here's where we are at:
School profile - almost done
Transcript - done
Supplement Essay #3 (if applicable) - not started
FAFSA - not started

You're ahead of me.  I'm paralyzed by stress, which is weird for me.

5 hours ago, Penelope said:

Same here. Application fatigue. A few more supplemental to write for initial applications, and then it’s time for the honors applications. I had thought there would be more overlap in essay questions and short answers, but as it turns out, not so much.

i agree.. i thought once he's done with choice #1 nov 1, then he can reconfigure the essays for his other choices... but the essays are so different. i understand each college wants to feel special, but they all know that students can't apply 1 and done ,as they'll likely not be accepted. % chances of admission are growing so low all across the board, you have to cast a wide net. the common app should make it easier. maybe have the CA make the 1 big essay + 2 supplementals that go everywhere.... then only the why xyz school essay could be separate. too much! what do they think these seniors are - full time application essay writers? it's too much!

(it is such a grind - i had NO idea....)

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 3

This is so stressful.  I am normally a very chilled-out person, but I am paralyzed that I am going to screw something up for DD.  Anyway, here is our progress:
First deadline - December 15
Common App Profile - Not started
Common App Education - Done
Common App Testing - Done
Common App Activities - Done
Common App Courses/Grades - Done
LOR - sent off 3 (1 is completed)
Counselor Letter - Not even started (Aaaackk!)
School profile - Not even started (Double Aaaackkkk!)
Transcript - Done
Course descriptions - Done
Common App Essay - Not started
Supplement Essay #1 - Not started
Supplement Essay #2 (if applicable) - Not started
FAFSA - Done

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:05 AM, Lanny said:

OP that is a very busy and stressful time. I noticed that you haven't begun working on the FAFSA form for the 2020 to 2021 school year. I suggest that you make that a priority. The earlier that is submitted, the more $ is available. Take it one step at a time and do the best that you can.

I just finished this this evening on your advice.  I feel good that this one major thing is now crossed off my to-do list!

• Like 3

On 10/8/2019 at 3:26 PM, mirabillis said:

Here's where we are at:
First deadline - Nov. 1st -- One of his listed schools he chose Early Action??!!??  What the ever-loving hell??? It's not even his favorite school! <sigh> (n.b. - He didn't mean to pick EA. Please tell me he can change this designation.) ETA:  He changed the designation to regular decision (or whatever) last week - pshew!
Common App Profile - Complete
LOR - sent off 3, 1 is complete. 
Counselor Letter - Complete, just need to upload   Complete
School profile - ditto Complete
Transcript - ditto Complete
Course descriptions - ditto Complete
Supplement Essay #3 (if applicable) - in revision
FAFSA - not started COMPLETE!!!! Woot!!

My answers in red above. Red because that's what I'm seeing. I will say that he's been much more on the ball with his ROTC apps, but UGH!!! This is so stressful. I think my heart rate is just staying above 100 and will for the foreseeable future. FAFSA is tomorrow - I'm on duty today.

Edited by brehon
Updated to do list

OK. Coming up from submarine mode.....  DS submitted Common App to one school and two for Coalition!

And I finished my paperwork just about 1/2 hour ago. Whew! This time he submitted before I did...  Yay!    Thanks everyone for your help so far!! I can't believe this was so complicated.

But truly, this was a lot of work.... and stress. DD is applying next year. I'm going to have to start like in January.

We are going to take a couple of days break before tackling the supplemental essays for the rest of the schools on his list.

DH will work on FAFSA.

Other than helping DS, what else should I be doing? My brain is mush now...

Good luck to anyone still working for Nov 1 deadline!!

• Like 2

So our common app for the early decision schools was turned in today. But she's got go get back in and do the state school and its honors college app after today is all finished as her back up. 

She still has supplemental essay questions for one school and one QuestBridge form to submit today that she's still working on. I feel this is never ending. But we're just trying to take it one step at a time. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, Joyful said:

OK. Coming up from submarine mode.....  DS submitted Common App to one school and two for Coalition!

And I finished my paperwork just about 1/2 hour ago. Whew! This time he submitted before I did...  Yay!    Thanks everyone for your help so far!! I can't believe this was so complicated.

But truly, this was a lot of work.... and stress. DD is applying next year. I'm going to have to start like in January.

Me too - been hibernating... We too successfully got all our docs in for Nov 1 ED decision... Now a bit of a breather for the weekend and back to it for Nov 30/Dec 1 deadlines. But.... my counselor letter/profile/transcript/course descriptions will remain done - so YAY!

• Like 1