Menu

New Kilpatrick book about how to teach reading

Kanin

David Kilpatrick has published a new book, "Reading Development and Difficulties: Bridging the Gap Between Research and Practice." This is very timely, considering we were just discussing what to do with the most recent reading research vs. the programs available to practitioners. I haven't read it yet, but I downloaded onto my Kindle. His co-authors are from Texas A&M and the Florida Center for Reading Research. It looks great!

• Like 5

On 10/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, Mainer said:

David Kilpatrick has published a new book, "Reading Development and Difficulties: Bridging the Gap Between Research and Practice." This is very timely, considering we were just discussing what to do with the most recent reading research vs. the programs available to practitioners. I haven't read it yet, but I downloaded onto my Kindle. His co-authors are from Texas A&M and the Florida Center for Reading Research. It looks great!

$125!!!

I was going to buy it, I have his other two.

I'll have to convince either the local public library or the local University Library to buy a hard copy, if that is really the price.  It didn't look like you could rent it, either.  (I can get hard copy books but not ebooks from our local university library.)

Edited by ElizabethB

1 hour ago, ElizabethB said:

$125!!!

I was going to buy it, I have his other two.

I'll have to convince either the local public library or the local University Library to buy a hard copy, if that is really the price.  It didn't look like you could rent it, either.  (I can get hard copy books but not ebooks from our local university library.)

Holy cow, that's ridiculous. I bought it via a Facebook post from the Reading League, and got the Kindle version for $18.99. You almost gave me a heart attack, had to go look at my order!! 😄

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mainer said:

Holy cow, that's ridiculous. I bought it via a Facebook post from the Reading League, and got the Kindle version for $18.99. You almost gave me a heart attack, had to go look at my order!! 😄

I bought it through that link, too!  It was actually $14.99, the 18.99 was the Euro price.

Thanks, I did want to read it and not wait for my library to buy it, but I wasn't buying it at the Amazon price.

• Like 1

It is not just Kilpatrick, it is a bunch of interesting folks, including some of my other favorites besides Kilpatrick--there is also Ehri, Jack Fletcher, for example.  I've read a few pages of the first chapter by R. Malatesha Joshi so far, I've not heard of him but it's interesting so far.  He has a stat about health and literacy,

"At the national level, it costs about $11,000 in health care for those with less than a fourth-grade reading level, but it costs less than $3,000 for individuals with a fourth-grade reading level and above." He recounts stats I already knew about prison costs and literacy, then, "Overall illiteracy costs more than a trillion dollars in the USA."

• Like 1

Chapter 2, just started it, the few pages so far are well worth the price of the book and I still haven't gotten to my favorite authors!!

Too long to quote, hard to summarize, it talks about phonological processing and different phonological tasks, also how RAN is related and how and why it plays into everything, worth buying the book through the Reading League facebook link, actually even worth $125 but why pay that when you can get it for $15.  The clearest explanation of the whole phonological processing processing I've yet encountered.

Here is one quote about RAN:

"The hybrid nature of rapid naming means that naming will depend on how well the items to be named are known, how well the associated phonological representation is known and how strong the mapping is between the item and its pronunciation. Reading shares this hybrid nature and this may be one reason why rapid naming is predictive of reading independently of measures of phonological awareness." 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I bought it through that link, too!  It was actually $14.99, the 18.99 was the Euro price.

Thanks, I did want to read it and not wait for my library to buy it, but I wasn't buying it at the Amazon price.

Yay!! Glad it worked out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

It is not just Kilpatrick, it is a bunch of interesting folks, including some of my other favorites besides Kilpatrick--there is also Ehri, Jack Fletcher, for example.  I've read a few pages of the first chapter by R. Malatesha Joshi so far, I've not heard of him but it's interesting so far.  He has a stat about health and literacy,

"At the national level, it costs about $11,000 in health care for those with less than a fourth-grade reading level, but it costs less than $3,000 for individuals with a fourth-grade reading level and above." He recounts stats I already knew about prison costs and literacy, then, "Overall illiteracy costs more than a trillion dollars in the USA."

Yeah, the list of contributors is impressive! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

"The hybrid nature of rapid naming means that naming will depend on how well the items to be named are known, how well the associated phonological representation is known and how strong the mapping is between the item and its pronunciation. Reading shares this hybrid nature and this may be one reason why rapid naming is predictive of reading independently of measures of phonological awareness." 

Oh man, I have to wait till the weekend to read! It sounds like the book is shedding light on a lot of questions we've been discussing for a while.

3 hours ago, Mainer said:

Oh man, I have to wait till the weekend to read! It sounds like the book is shedding light on a lot of questions we've been discussing for a while.

Yes, the first chapter was all things I knew except for a few facts like the one I quoted, but well written and interesting.  Chapter 2 was a mix of things I knew but explained well and things I didn't know, it did she a lot of light on things we've been discussing here.  It is not light reading, and I've highlighted half the book to re-read and will re-read the whole thing eventually as well.