Menu

Anyone have experience with AOPS Language Arts?

Lawyer&Mom

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to be pretty popular here with the Chinese families that are a major part of the AoPS demographic in our area. They use solid texts and I assume that AoPS hires quality LA teachers, but I get the impression that these are afterschoolers, primarily from first or second gen immigrant families, who are looking to ensure strong English skills in their kids. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for vs a class for kids who love the English language and are looking to really delve into that passion, you know?  

• Like 1

If she is up to an online class, and the level of books is right, you might want to check out the Athena's literature classes. G3 has some which are a Step up (and then Athenas has pre AP and AP). DD quite enjoyed both programs, and has probably taken almost every class they offered between the ages of 5-12. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, square_25 said:

No experience whatsoever, but given that AoPS is populated entirely by math people, I see no reason to assume they'd be passionate or original about Language Arts. Of course, I could be proven wrong :-). 

They've actually brought in several humanities people at the main office in the past few years! They don't teach in the online school, but they are teaching and developing curriculum for the brick and mortar centers. 😊

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, deerforest said:

When I looked into a few years ago, they were using Michael Clay Thompson materials, which we used on our own before their school opened near us.  https://www.rfwp.com/series/mct-literature-program

That’s good to know, I’ve heard good things about MCT.  We would be doing the class for the peers more than the content, but good content always helps!