Menu

AOPS Tests

Is there a resource for chapter tests or something similar for the AOPS books? We are self studying and don't see anything for tests. I think my daughter would do better if she had some sort of check in at the end of each chapter. I don't feel confident enough in my skills to come up with my own questions and I think a test from other providers wouldn't match up well. 

I could pick questions from the chapter and hope she doesn't remember them, but they have few questions so the chances of her remembering are high. 

Could you pre-select a number of questions, have her skip those, and then use those for "test" questions? Absent that, there are tests for at least one of the AoPS books floating around this site somewhere. I'll check my old files and see if I have them, too.

On the other hand, I will say that I had your same concerns when we started AoPS 'lo those many moons ago. We never had any retention problems and wound up never implementing tests. Obviously, your mileage may vary. 🙂

• Like 2

This is kind of how we use Alcumus.  Not really a test, per se, but after DS works through a chapter in the book then he works through those sections in Alcumus as a review and to see if there are any concepts still giving him trouble.  If a certain section or type of problem is still confusing him, then we typically revisit those in the text book...and/or find that particular topic on Khan academy or in another text book or in a YouTube video, etc.

Wendy

• Like 3

I use other textbooks (I have a few cheap used books purchased online) and competition math questions (AMC, MOEMs etc available on AOPS website) to come up with my own chapter test for AOPS. (for my son, there is very high level of retention, but, he makes mistakes anytime that he is timed and a test helps me catch his errors and help him improve the quality and speed of his work. We are in the camp that definitely needs review tests!).

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1