Menu

A bird in the hand and job hunting UPDATE: did phone interview

Ginevra

The good news is, I heard back from a job I applied to and they want to do a phone interview tommorow. The bummer about this is, it’s the job I wanted the least of the applications I have put in, because it’s on the lower end of the payscale and the listing does not mention benefits like health insurance. But if I am offered this job, I may take it for the foot in the door. Maybe? I have applied to more ambitious jobs and heard crickets. I’m truthfully feeling a bit discouraged and thinking I may be better off taking what I can get and stepping-stoneing into a better position when I can. 

I mean, if I am even offered the job. What does the Hive think? 

Also, my heart pounds when I think about doing a phone interview! I may have to take a Xanax tomorrow! Kidding! Sort of...

UPDATE: So, I did the phone interview. It seemed to go well. There weren’t any questions that stumped me and the questions they asked were easily answerable. If I am a “finalist,” they said they will call me back tonight for an in-person interview. 🤞🏻

Edited by Quill
  • Like 14

If nothing else, doing the phone interview will be good practice for when you get a shot at a job opportunity you really want. And maybe this job will sound better once you have had a chance to talk to them about it during the interview.

Go for it!

(And good luck!!!)

• Like 4

Not sure where you are looking/what you are looking for but I just started a full time job through our ISD working with special needs young adults.  it is full time....37.5 hours a week, 194 days a year, paid holidays, 10 sick days, 2 personal days, and full benefits offered.  Now, it isn't the highest end of the pay scale, but the work is very doable for this "old lady" and I really enjoy it.  It also has a retirement component as well.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Not sure where you are looking/what you are looking for but I just started a full time job through our ISD working with special needs young adults.  it is full time....37.5 hours a week, 194 days a year, paid holidays, 10 sick days, 2 personal days, and full benefits offered.  Now, it isn't the highest end of the pay scale, but the work is very doable for this "old lady" and I really enjoy it.  It also has a retirement component as well.

I hope you enjoy your new job! 

I have skills in Secretarial, Admin, Bookkeeping (small business) and Legal Secretarial many moons ago. The job planning to call tommorow is and Admin and Bookkeeping for a real estate office. So we’ll see. 

14 minutes ago, Quill said:

I hope you enjoy your new job! 

I have skills in Secretarial, Admin, Bookkeeping (small business) and Legal Secretarial many moons ago. The job planning to call tommorow is and Admin and Bookkeeping for a real estate office. So we’ll see. 

With those type of jobs getting your foot in the door is everything!  You'll close the gap on your resume and no one ever blinks when you leave for better pay / more challenging opportunities. Also....I think it might be good to "start slow" in a job that doesn't have very high demands and expectations.  I didn't work for 8 yrs and completely forgot how draining it can be, especially being older.

Good luck tomorrow!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep at it. View every application and interview as a learning experience.

I have a 3/4 time job with no benefits as a professor and have been looking for full-time work for over a year. One of my "problems" is that I have too many degrees, which is something I can't hide because I'm all over on RateMyProfessor, CourseHero, etc. etc. I could drop the degrees, and there would be questions if they Googled me.

It's discouraging, but I try to do ten applications or inquiries a week to keep the momentum going. I average one interview a week and have been a finalist three times. One of these days.

• Like 6

If you are offered the job, maybe ask for a couple weeks to mill it over?  That might give some of your other applications time to move.  And if you don't hear, you can take it.  If you do take it, I might make the most of it for a year and then attempt to move on.  

Oh and agree on Lori's take on the old lady business!  LOL!  😂

• Like 1

I was in a similar position a year ago and I took the job, and I actually like it! Shortly after I started, my life took a major turn. I think if I had any other job at the time I would have lost it. This job is flexible and even if it isn't my "forever" job it was just what I needed, even if the pay could be better.  

I usually get really nervous in interviews (practice makes it worse). Since I was ambivalent about the job going into the interview, I didn't get as nervous as I usually did. Maybe you can remind yourself that you don't even know if you want the job to help with the nerves. And good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, no call back last night, so maybe I am not a finalist. I’ll be alert for a call today, but if today passes with no word, then back to the drawing board i guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Well, no call back last night, so maybe I am not a finalist. I’ll be alert for a call today, but if today passes with no word, then back to the drawing board i guess. 

Well, the good news is that this is the job you didn't really want, maybe something better will come along.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Holy smokes.  Congrats.  Good luck.  I can't believe they only gave you an hour to be prepared.   AHHHHH

Here’s what’s funny about that: my intuition told me to be ready. I was cleaning my bathroom early this morning and I thought, “Well, I will get showered, dressed and completely ready except for interview clothes just in case they call. It will look better if I can be there on short notice.” 

So that’s what I did! 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

It's been an hour!  How'd it go? Where's our update? 

😁

It went well! They told me I am their first choice, but they have other interviews. Supposed to be making a decision early next week. Also, I believe we leave clues in the words we choose and the guy kept saying things in words as if he already sees me in the position. Things like, “You’ll be able to figure out what works best.” Like he’s picturing me doing the job. 

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, Quill said:

It went well! They told me I am their first choice, but they have other interviews. Supposed to be making a decision early next week. Also, I believe we leave clues in the words we choose and the guy kept saying things in words as if he already sees me in the position. Things like, “You’ll be able to figure out what works best.” Like he’s picturing me doing the job. 

Very good news. Keep at it!

I had a phone interview scheduled for today, and she was late and then emailed that she needs to do it tomorrow. I had provided my availability on three different days at least.

So waiting again... 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

that is great news.  I know it isn't your first choice but still it's a very encouraging outcome.

It wasn’t, but I think it will be better to start sort of small. It’s been a loooooong time since I have been in that sort of environment. I’ll be happy not to be thrown in the deep end with no float. 

• Like 8

Hope it all works out. I did a year of subbing which launched me into my current position as an (underpaid) Educational Assistant which has the potential to get me back into teaching someday. There are some positives to starting small. I know I'm excellent at what I do. I excel at being an EA, where if I had gotten a teaching position I wouldn't look quite so amazing! And I do enjoy working and earning some money. And I don't have the homework a teacher has.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quill said:

It wasn’t, but I think it will be better to start sort of small. It’s been a loooooong time since I have been in that sort of environment. I’ll be happy not to be thrown in the deep end with no float. 

I did this. It has been a big boost to realize I am not as outdated as I feared, and I can quickly catch on to new software because I have continued to use my computer. I go back and forth on whether I am interested in finding a job with better pay and that uses more of my interests and education, or whether I should stick with the great flexibility and (little bit) shorter work day. For now, I'm glad I have what I have, and I just keep my eyes open for other possibilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1