Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

So apparently, my extended family has had an interesting few weeks

Generally speaking, my extended family (including my immediate-DH and kids-) family are all very low drama.  I mean, drama can happen in any family but I feel lucky that even when drama happens, it's generally low key drama.

And then sometimes.........it's a bit more lol.  Still, low key compared to what I know happens in other families.  But, yeah, it's been a bit crazy.

So, I posted about my cousin's wedding.  DH and I took the kids and I posted about feeling a bit....underwhelmed...for lack of a better word, due to so much time driving, kid wrangling and so on.  And apparently, I should have been grateful that that was the most dramatic thing in my immediate life.

First, something I knew was happening that weekend, my youngest sister had her son.  He wasn't due until 10/7, but he came early, which, her daughter was early too.  Lots of texts and pics and face time exchanged as my youngest sister lives about 2.5 hours flight away.  He's SO adorable and my kids are so excited to have a new cousin, even if meeting him in person won't happen for a bit.  

Then, this most recent Saturday, so, just a couple of days ago, I was grocery shopping and got a text from my mom.  My other sister was mowing her lawn and had an accident.  Without going into much detail, 911, ambulance on the wrong street, surgery, amputations and more were all involved.  Thankfully, only 3 toes were lost and minimal other damage.  She goes home today.

THEN, I was talking to mom today.  My sister is being discharged today, but before discharge, CPS will be visiting her...IN THE HOSPITAL...because someone called about...something....about my nephew.  No one knows who or why, but now my sister is dealing with a CPS interview AND being discharged from the hospital on the same day.

OH, and apparently, my brother's oldest....she got married.  She's 19.  I didn't even know she had a boyfriend.  She has created some struggles for herself, but even though I am shocked and skeptical that this will work out in any way......My genuine hope is that this will be good for her, that she will grow up a lot and be able to leave her struggles behind. 

One thing that's kind of crazy to me is that apparently, my niece got married BEFORE my cousin's wedding.  My brother was AT my cousins wedding.  And never said a thing to anyone.  I am not even sure why, though my mom said he was upset about the whole thing.  

My mom asked me after telling me all this "SO....what's new with you?:    I was like "um.....absolutely NOTHING.  Oh, wait....I got my new to me freezer delivered yesterday.  That's the extent of my excitement."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That is A LOT of drama for such a short time. Good wishes for your sister's recovery and CPS stuff. I'm sure they'll realize that it's a false report quickly. 

As a member of a family with a lot of sh!t that goes down...

I am very sorry about your sister and the grievous injury. And I hope she heals quickly and as pain free as possible.

But I give y'all points for the secret wedding...And take them away for no arrests. Here's to dark humor!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

As a member of a family with a lot of sh!t that goes down...

I am very sorry about your sister and the grievous injury. And I hope she heals quickly and as pain free as possible.

But I give y'all points for the secret wedding...And take them away for no arrests. Here's to dark humor!

🤣

So..one of my dad's favorite stories of my cousin's wedding (and my dad is the classic grandpa telling stories NO ONE follows) was of a wedding they went to a few years ago.  I have no idea who was getting married.  A co worker?  A girl from the travel ball team of one of my siblings?  Someone else?  I dunno.   BUT, yes, the story involves the wedding having been apparently a secret to some.  And fights involved.  And arrests, including the bride.   It's just so not normally how my family operates! lol  

ETA:  I was re-reading my OP....realized I forgot to also share.....

My niece that got married 2 weeks ago at 19............she also moved to ENGLAND with her new DH.  I don't even know how all that works.  But as of today at least, she's now married and living in England.  

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

One thing that's kind of crazy to me is that apparently, my niece got married BEFORE my cousin's wedding.  My brother was AT my cousins wedding.  And never said a thing to anyone.  I am not even sure why, though my mom said he was upset about the whole thing.  

The rule of thumb is that you don't make big announcements at somebody else's wedding. 

• Like 4

Wow. Hard to like that post though.  Here's to a drama free future.

Oh gosh that’s insane!  And I admit I laughed out loud at your freezer comment.  We are the freezer people but my family of origin is a bit more... toe amputations and random weddings? Your poor sister. But yay for a new baby in the family!

So, where's the drama part of the story? JK LOL 

DD12 is biologically my niece.  She came to me through the foster system at 5mo. The foster care social worker once said to me " Your family has so much drama, they could be a bad soap opera!" She also told me that my family has some of the craziest drama she has seen as a social worker. LOL That is not an award I want on a plaque! HA HA! But it is so true! BTW, dd was placed with me, because I am "not like the rest of my family". Or at least according to the social worker. People who know my family, often ask where I came from because I am soooo different. My life may be nuts, but I am dreadfully boring.

One of my personal favorites for stupidity.....Lets call them girl and guy.  (quotes are obviously edited for simplicity).  Girl and guy are both on parole, and have legal convictions that say they can't be together. (aka don't hang out with other felons with similar convictions...and specifically eachother). So, one day a police officer sees a fire in the desert, right off the road. He stops to investigate and finds a car on fire. LEO asks girl and guy "whats up with this car on fire?" And "can I see your ID". Girl and guy comply with ID, and say "don't know, just found it this way as we were driving by?" Police officer runs the plates/vin.whatever.  Says "hey guy this car on fire belongs to you!".  Guy eventually confesses and says "I sold the car and the guy stopped making payments. So I reposessed it!"  (He lit the car on fire so the buyer couldn't keep the car). OY!!!! How did they even think they were going to get away with this! A fire in the desert can be seen for miles and miles! LIke a LEO isn't going to see it and investigate?!?!?  It wasn't even that rural!

They got arrested, and sent to jail for stupidity and for parole violation.

See...not even a good soap opera with spouse swapping,  twins pretending to be eachother, or people coming back from the dead!  Just bazaar stupid stuff that doesn't even make sense, but gets people arrested for just being plain stupid!

Edited by Tap

5 minutes ago, Tap said:

See...not even a good soap opera with spouse swapping,  twins pretending to be eachother, or people coming back from the dead!  Just bazaar stupid stuff that doesn't even make sense, but gets people arrested for just being plain stupid!

You may not be able to fix stupid, but at least you can arrest it. 

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, katilac said:

You may not be able to fix stupid, but at least you can arrest it. 

LOL Sooo true!  I keep visualizing them making this plan and carrying it out. Laughing and thinking they were so smart! HaHa! 

It is like a kid jumping off a house with sheet for a parachute..when they are 6yo.  Stupid, but you can see what they were thinking.

This....Nope! Can't see how they thought they would get away with it! LOL Must have been some herb involved in the planning of this one!

• Haha 1

About 30 years ago Sally Jessy Raphael somehow heard about my mother and begged her to fly out and be on her show.  My sister contacted the show because she hated her MIL.  Apparently, the producers thought my mom’s story was more interesting.  Thankfully, my mom declined.  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

About 30 years ago Sally Jessy Raphael somehow heard about my mother and begged her to fly out and be on her show.  My sister contacted the show because she hated her MIL.  Apparently, the producers thought my mom’s story was more interesting.  Thankfully, my mom declined.  

Oh my -- that is funny in a very sad sort of way!

So, apparently the situation with my niece is even more strange than I thought.  

My oldest DD is more social media savvy than I am and has been following a couple of my niece's accounts for a while apparently.  This in itself isn't unusual, my DD also follows the accounts of her other cousins old enough to have social media.  

So apparently my niece has been "dating" this guy online for two years.  Three weeks ago, he flew from England to the US to meet with her for the first time, and they got married a week later and then a week after that they both flew to England together.  And then the apparent plan is that they will be in England for 6 months, then move back to the US permanently (?) and will move in with my sister in law's parents (my niece's other grandparents.)

I have very little hope of this going according to plan.  

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

So, apparently the situation with my niece is even more strange than I thought.  

My oldest DD is more social media savvy than I am and has been following a couple of my niece's accounts for a while apparently.  This in itself isn't unusual, my DD also follows the accounts of her other cousins old enough to have social media.  

So apparently my niece has been "dating" this guy online for two years.  Three weeks ago, he flew from England to the US to meet with her for the first time, and they got married a week later and then a week after that they both flew to England together.  And then the apparent plan is that they will be in England for 6 months, then move back to the US permanently (?) and will move in with my sister in law's parents (my niece's other grandparents.)

I have very little hope of this going according to plan.  

I don't think it's that strange.  IME couples who fall in love online and then meet in person usually have no chemistry in real life and end up breaking up.  When they do have chemistry in real life they tend to already know each other really well, better than couples who have traditionally dated because they talk about things you probably wouldn't talk about IRL because it would be weird.  I think if they last 6 months they've got a decent chance of lasting.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

Okay, now I need to know your mom's story.

• Like 1

I feel so bad for your sister!!! Did she have shoes on when mowing? She has been through so much! 

Congrats on the new freezer!

41 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't think it's that strange.  IME couples who fall in love online and then meet in person usually have no chemistry in real life and end up breaking up.  When they do have chemistry in real life they tend to already know each other really well, better than couples who have traditionally dated because they talk about things you probably wouldn't talk about IRL because it would be weird.  I think if they last 6 months they've got a decent chance of lasting.

Given that my niece would have been 17 (or maybe 16 depending on timing) a the time they supposedly "met" online, and that my niece was actually not supposed to be on social media AT ALL, due to the struggles she created for herself, yeah, it's strange in this situation.  Maybe not strange in the "how can anyone marry someone they met online" sort of way, but strange in the "what the heck else was she doing that no one knew about since she was supposed to be on "lockdown."

Now, without giving away many more details of my nieces life, let me just say, she made herself a vulnerable target when she was in her mid teen years and as a result, there were things that happen that the whole family tried to protect her from, but well, her teen years were tough for her, mostly specifically because of her own choices in spite of the things her parents tried to keep her safe from. There were ALSO things that happend where my brother and his wife and younger kids needed to be protected FROM her and the situations, which also created many struggles.   Because of all of that.....she should not have been able to even contact this person at that age.  

I generally think that most 16 to 19yr olds, having come out of situations that my niece created for herself, while the family tried to keep her safe, simply don't have the "good sense" to judge this sort of thing to be a great idea.  And that's what, for this situation.....it's also all out of the norm.  

Aside from all that, if they last 6 months, I will be shocked.  And I am afraid for how my niece gets back to her family if they don't last.  What even happens if a new marriage between an English citizen and an America breaks apart within 6 months of the couple arriving in England?  

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Janeway said:

I feel so bad for your sister!!! Did she have shoes on when mowing? She has been through so much! 

Congrats on the new freezer!

Yes, she was wearing basic tennis shoes.  She's currently at home, my mom was there today to essentially take care of her.  Her DH is deep into hard core Electrical Engineering school, and for him to take time off would cause more problems than it would solve and since mom is retired and close.....mommy to the rescue.  

The CPS investigation apparently involves a 9yr old sister of one of my nephew's friends.  Thing is, what this girl said happened could not have.  I have more details than I can share, but also, don't have all the details.  Regardless, according to my sister, the CPS worker basically said....without using these words....that obviously, this is a lot of misunderstanding.  The people involved were not even all in the same state when things were supposed to have happend, and this is very easily demonstrated with documentation on all sides.  Plus, apparently....the older brother of this 9 yr old has 2 friends with the same name.  

*sigh*

I organized my new to me freezer.  My mom, my oldest, and my youngest sister all called at least twice today.  I answered every phone call with "hey, there's absolutely nothing up with me, what's up with all you?"

On a completely funny and rather related note, did you know you can order prosthetic toes on Amazon?   

Yeah, I didn't either.  But, now my sister does know lol.  

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Terabith said:

Okay, now I need to know your mom's story.

It’s really colorful.  I started to type it and it’s too much.  DH and I restrict our association with my extended family for my mental health and the wellness of our marriage and children.  

Plz don’t quote me....

I’ll drop one hint.  When she quit working as a waitress to stay home full-time with my now deceased and severely handicapped sister, she started making custom break away clothing for male and female strippers.  My younger sister and she sewed stripper clothing and when I was on leave from the USN, they’d make me try that crap on to check for fit.  Don’t ask...

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Haha 4

That seems like the kind of field where there’s an underserved market!  Hilarious and colorful but also solid entrepreneurship!

So a new and probably final update...on my niece at least.

My DD is here this weekend.  My DD, being a 23 yr old is much more social media savvy than any of us adults are and has access to all my nieces social media accounts.  So she shared (publicly available for anyone with any ability to search....which most of us are bad at) pics with me.

Now, really, I am just really sad for my niece.  Some pics show signs of perhaps some addiction issues, which no one else has picked up on.  I am sad that no one picked up on that.  I am sad that apparently she *wanted* a wedding, but couldn't bring herself to have family....that would have COME and CELEBRATED with her, even if there was some disagreement.  But, sad that she felt that discussing the disagreement wasn't possible.  It would have been.  I know it's not possible in some families, trust me when I say that my family isn't one that hold grudges or indulges in crazy or anything like that.  

Mostly.....the more my DD shows me, the more I am sure that really, this isn't going to work out...and I am sad for my nieces future.  Unless some dramatic growing up happens, I forsee a lot of pain and anguish on the part of my niece, her siblings and my brother and SIL.  

I am not even her parent and I feel a strong sense of worry and fear for her.  I genuinely want the best for all my nieces and nephews, and I just don't really see this moving in a positive direction for her.  And it makes me sad.  

• Sad 4