Menu

How long was/is your counselor letter?

Oh my! We are 3 weeks away from early decision applications due.... and still up to our eyeballs in everything! Not a single door has been shut. I think I'm starting to panic...

Re; Counselor letter

How long was yours? Mine is about 1-1/2 pages, and many homeschool ones I see are just that. But all the sample non-homeschool counselor letters I see are 1 page long. (see here: https://blog.prepscholar.com/3-excellent-letter-of-recommendation-examples) Will adcoms not appreciate a longer letter? 

Also I had a non-homeschool person look over the letter and was struck by how personal it was, rather like a family member talking familiarly about the student. Should I try to make it more in line with the objectivity of what those non-homeschool letter samples above look like? Or are adcoms expecting this from the parent/counselor?

Please weigh in - tell me how yours was patterned, how long it was, etc. Help!

• Like 1

I really tried to make mine one page but could not do it. I think as long as it isn't a tightly packed front & back that you are fine.

It should be personal! Counselors know you are The Mom. Be the mom, but do so in a way that gives insight the rest of the package & letters won't.

• Like 1

Mine was also about a page and a half.  I suspect mine was less personal than many homeschool counselor letters, but I think approaching it how you are most comfortable is fine!                                                                                                                                                                                       

• Like 2

Mine are about 1 1/2 pages, too. And personal. I had other homeschoolers tell me mine are too personal. I thought about changing my approach, but haven't. They know I am mom. Seriously, how much more personal can a relationship get between teacher and student?  My college jr's was incredibly personal and her outcomes were stellar. So, it obviously didn't hurt her apps.

• Like 2

thanks jojosmom - appreciate it. we need a Common App support thread going on... this is tough! we had someone look over all his essay drafts and transcript, etc and just found out he comes across differently than his intention. and looking at their objective opinion, we now see that too. ack! so he's having to blow up everything. 

• Sad 4

Mine was two full pages and fairly personal. It definitely was the hardest part of the counselor package for me, and I did lots of edits and rewriting. I know that at least it didn’t hurt, as he got in everywhere with great merit aid at schools that offer it.

• Like 1

Ours is around 1.25 pages long. Personal for sure, but not what I would call overly so. Like 8Fill says, they know I am her mom. I felt it would be weird if I talked about dd as if she was an almost-stranger to me. So - personal, but not mushy. And I also tried to emphasize traits that I expected her LOR-writers would not linger on.