Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Robin M

Book a Week 2019 - BW41: Spooktacular October

Recommended Posts

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-one  in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews. 

Are you ready for a Spooktacular October full of chills and thrills, spine tingling adventure stories, and unexpected, jump out and surprise you, don't turn the lights off reads? If you are anything like me, gruesome horror isn't your thing. However, psychological, mind bending, Hitchcock type thrillers full of suspense are my favorite type of reads, along with paranormal, ghosts, vampires, were wolves and the weird. 

If you haven't read the classics, now would be your chance with Frankenstein or DraculaDr Jekyll and Mr HydeThe Picture of Dorian Grey or Something Wicked This Way Comes. Put away your expectations because you may be surprised when they don't turn out how you suspect they will.

If you need a few ideas, check out Bustle's 
20 New Horror Books For Readers Who Take Spooky Season Seriously or 11 Books That Scared The Master of Horror, Stephen King, And Will Terrify You, Too, as well as 5 Classic Horror Novels You Can Finish in a Single Sitting.

Lit Reactor's 
The 15 Most Anticipated Horror Books of 2019 

Bookriot's 
25 Top Horror Books According to Goodreads or What to Read if You Love Hitchcock Movies.

Haunted Rooms 12 Best Ghost Books to Keep You Up at Night.

Vampire Book Club's 
Sure fire favorites for Urban Fantasy

Off the Shelf's 
8 Psychological Thrillers With Twists You Won’t See Coming 

I've grown quite fond of Dean Koontz amazing stories and currently have Watchers as well as Intensity along with Dan Simmons Hollow Man, Steven King's The Green Mile,  Josh Mallerman's Bird Box, and James Rollins Deep Fathom on my nightstand. Which one shall I read?

What spooktacular books will you be reading this month?

  

Link to week 40

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy! My spooktacular book of the moment will be James Rollins Deep Fathom and possibly Bird Box on Kindle. 

I finished Nalini's Singh's latest in the Guild Hunter series - Archangel's War which has sent me back to read the very first book in the series Angel's Blood. Perhaps a series reread is in order for the month as well.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin, thank you as always for this fabulous thread. 

I don't think that I'll be reading any spooky books this year. Last year, I read two of Shirley Jackson's books and didn't care for them one bit. I'm sure that I have some others spooky books on my Kindle or on my shelves, but I just can't be bothered to read them right now. Not that I have anything against October reads in general, they're just not my priority at the moment. Mind you, I'm generally terrible with keeping up with themed books. I have a tendency to read them at any old time. 

I read a Baha'i history book that I have read before - once in my teens and again in my twenties. I've been having some vivid dreams lately and I take them to mean that I need to focus more on the spiritual. I know that might sound a bit weird - 5 Stars - It’s a fascinating and readable history of the beginnings of the Baha’i Faith. As far as the history books of the early days of the Faith go, this one is the most readable. There are others, but they are lengthier and more intimidating for some. The author, the late William Sears, is one of my favorite Baha’i authors.

I would only recommend this book to Baha’is or to those who want to know more about the early history of the Faith.

My favorite quote:

“We know that the Bab especially commended politeness and the most refined courtesy in all social relations. ‘Never sadden anyone, no matter whom, for no matter what,’ he enjoined, ‘I have taught the believers in my religion, He says Himself, ‘never to rejoice over the misfortune of anyone.’”

9781931847094.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

Edited by Negin
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mumto2  Woot Woot! You're doing an amazing job with the whodunit spelling challenge.  Are you still listening to the Skinwalker series? Looking forward to Shattered Bonds coming out the end of October.  Thank you for the Brit Trip photos.  Sheep do love to pose.  🙂

@aggieamy  thirding, fourthing, fifthing - stick around and chat more, girl. We miss you.

@Violet Crown My fil loved Vanity Fair and has been encouraging me to read it.  I think I may have read the first chapter and set it aside.  Enjoyed you comments about the story and may put it on the list for next year.

@Kareni Thank you for all the wonderful links. Mah-jongg is addictive isn't it. I have an app on my ipad for when I get bored.  

@Teaching3bears  I got hooked on Outlander a couple years ago and devoured the whole series.  It does get pretty graphic and horrific things happen throughout the series, but I enjoyed it.

@tuesdayschildGood to see you too and enjoying perusing all the books you've read.

@Mothersweets Haven't read The Last Seance yet. I'm a bit behind with my Agatha Christie read.

@Liz CA Is Susan Ericksen still narrating the In Death series?  

@Negin and @PenguinWaving hello!

@emba56 Totally agree with you. Can't stand books without a clear cut ending.  If it's too ambiguous, instead of leaving me with a hmmm, let's think about it feeling, doesn't make for a contented reader.

@Pen  Toby Peters was new to me as well considering all the mysteries I've read throughout the years. Hope you're able to find the first book in the series. Do you have Kindle? 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Negin said:

Robin, thank you as always for this fabulous thread. 

I don't think that I'll be reading any spooky books this year. Last year I read two of Shirley Jackson's books and didn't care for them one bit. I'm sure that I have some others spooky books on my Kindle or on my shelves, but I just can't be bothered to read them right now. Not that I have anything against them, just nor priority at the moment!

My pleasure. 🙂   Shirley Jackson's The Lottery was enough for me too.   Enjoy reading what makes you happy and no worries about the spooky books.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Robin M I don't know who narrates the Death series because I am #123 on the hold list. If you are willing to wait a year or two, I'll let you know!  🙂

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just clicked on the link for Hitchcock fans and wrote down two titles I want to check out.

Audiobook:

The Blood Card by Elly Griffiths. Like it and looking forward to more of it.

Reading:

Wild Lupines by Link. I realized that there were parts of this book I did not read. I picked it up (part of a trilogy) and read the suspenseful parts and pieced the rest together. I don't usually read like this - really. Don't know what overcame me. But now I am finishing this on properly.

Then I will look on Overdrive for "The Salinger Contract" by Langer or "The Man in Lower 10" by Rinehart.

Happy booking!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

@Robin MI don't know who narrates the Death series because I am #123 on the hold list. If you are willing to wait a year or two, I'll let you know!  🙂

 

123? Oh my gosh! Do you use audible?  I think they have a share feature we may be able to utilize.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robin M said:

123? Oh my gosh! Do you use audible?  I think they have a share feature we may be able to utilize.  

 

No I use the Overdrive system for our local library which includes Sac county system and is usually pretty extensive. I don't get why no more than two people can download the same book.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, Hello! I haven't visited much this year and I miss you all. I've managed to read a few books this month; I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Wow, what a great book! I really need to go back and re-read it again - much more slowly this time. I also finished What is A Girl Worth? by Rachael Denhollander and Why Meadow Died by Andrew Pollack (about the Parkland shooting). These books were all heavy topics so I'm ready for something a little lighter. I just started Untamed: the Wildest Woman in America and the Fight for Cumberland Island by Will Harlan.

I read The Bird Box a few months ago, so I will count that for my spooky read for the year. I hope everyone is well.

Blessings,

Shawne

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished Solitude: A Post-Apocalyptic Thriller (Dimension Space Book One) which proved to be an interesting read. Basically, something happens and there is a one man left on Earth and one woman left on the space station. This is first in a series that I might continue at some point. (If you have Amazon Prime, this book is in the Prime library.)

 "Can Humanity's Last Two Unite?

Separated by the gulf of space, the last man and woman of the human race struggle against astronomical odds to survive and unite.

Army Aviator Vaughn Singleton is a highly intelligent, lazy man. After a last-ditch effort to reignite his failing military career ends horribly, Vaughn becomes the only human left on Earth.

Stranded alone on the International Space Station, Commander Angela Brown watches an odd wave of light sweep across the planet. Over the next weeks and then months, Angela struggles to contact someone on the surface, but as she fights to survive aboard a deteriorating space station, the commander glimpses the dark underpinnings of humanity's demise.

After months alone, Vaughn discovers there is another. Racing against time, he must cross a land ravaged by the consequences of humankind's sudden departure.

Can Vaughn find a path to space and back? Can Angela—the only person with clues to the mystery behind humanity's disappearance—survive until he does?"

 Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some bookish posts ~

TRICK-OR-TREAT: 18 EXAMPLES OF BOOKISH HALLOWEEN DECOR

https://bookriot.com/2019/09/27/halloween-decor-for-book-lovers/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CYS - 100419&utm_term=BookRiot_CheckYourShelf_DormantSuppress

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell author Susanna Clarke has a new fantasy novel on the way — and it sounds wonderful by Christian Holub

https://ew.com/books/2019/09/30/susanna-clarke-new-fantasy-novel-piranesi/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New Books&utm_term=BookRiot_NewBooks

From the Word Wenches site: The Joy of Unexpected Books!

https://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2019/10/the-joy-of-unexpected-books.html#comments

From Dear Author's site: REVIEW: Country by Michael Hughes

https://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/review-country-by-michael-hughes/comment-page-1/#comment-900308I

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Shawneinfl said:

Hello, Hello! I haven't visited much this year and I miss you all. I've managed to read a few books this month; I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Wow, what a great book! I really need to go back and re-read it again - much more slowly this time. I also finished What is A Girl Worth? by Rachael Denhollander and Why Meadow Died by Andrew Pollack (about the Parkland shooting). These books were all heavy topics so I'm ready for something a little lighter. I just started Untamed: the Wildest Woman in America and the Fight for Cumberland Island by Will Harlan.

I read The Bird Box a few months ago, so I will count that for my spooky read for the year. I hope everyone is well.

Blessings,

Shawne

So glad to “see” you!  I just finished What is a Girl Worth.  I missed the entire scandal while in England so everything was new.  Knowing that the mom’s were in the exam room in some cases really scares a parent’s heart.  Just wow!

2 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I just clicked on the link for Hitchcock fans and wrote down two titles I want to check out.

Audiobook:

The Blood Card by Elly Griffiths. Like it and looking forward to more of it.

Reading:

Wild Lupines by Link. I realized that there were parts of this book I did not read. I picked it up (part of a trilogy) and read the suspenseful parts and pieced the rest together. I don't usually read like this - really. Don't know what overcame me. But now I am finishing this on properly.

Then I will look on Overdrive for "The Salinger Contract" by Langer or "The Man in Lower 10" by Rinehart.

Happy booking!

Glad you are enjoying the Elly Griffiths!😉

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

@mumto2  Woot Woot! You're doing an amazing job with the whodunit spelling challenge.  Are you still listening to the Skinwalker series? Looking forward to Shattered Bonds coming out the end of October.  Thank you for the Brit Trip photos.  Sheep do love to pose.  🙂

@aggieamy  thirding, fourthing, fifthing - stick around and chat more, girl. We miss you

 

Yes Amy, I miss you!  You are welcome to chat even if you don’t read a single page all week long to yourself!

I just put Shattered Bonds on hold....think I am 10th so I have awhile to finish the reread! 😂. I have two done but will speed up as I finish off my 10’s.  I am really close on several.

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

Howdy! My spooktacular book of the moment will be James Rollins Deep Fathom and possibly Bird Box on Kindle. 

I finished Nalini's Singh's latest in the Guild Hunter series - Archangel's War which has sent me back to read the very first book in the series Angel's Blood. Perhaps a series reread is in order for the month as well.  

I need to get back to read the Archangel series......my library even has that one on audio.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

@Pen  Toby Peters was new to me as well considering all the mysteries I've read throughout the years. Hope you're able to find the first book in the series. Do you have Kindle? 

 

 

 

I have kindle, but don’t like reading especially fiction that way.  I prefer audio when possible.  I have Bullet for a Star on hold via Library 2Go overdrive— There’s at least one person between me and whoever now has it.   Not sure if that means it’s very popular or that they don’t have many “copies.” 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still reading through classics that I somehow missed over the years.  This week was Austen's Sense and Sensibility.  I enjoyed it, but I prefer Pride and Prejudice and Emma.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now for the what am I reading.......... @Violet Crown I am finally reading  A Voyage to Arcturas  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20812012-a-voyage-to-arcturus-with-biographical-introduction which is not at all what I was anticipating.  Calling it Sci Fi is a bit of a stretch from the first half.  That said I plan to count it as an allegory for my Bingo card so I am pretty happy that it isn’t the anticipated Sci Fi.  I also plan to use it for my Scotland 10x10 so it is a very handy book.  That said it may be only 168 pages but they are a really slow read!  I thought of you during the tea drinking scene! 😂

I picked up The Goblin Emperor at the library yesterday so will start my combined listen/hard copy after I finish my current Bo Tully.

No idea what I will read for Spooky this year.  Normally I have this all planned out.......whatever I do it will be on the fluffy side this year.  Some of the Urban Fantasy series on Robin’s link look good but I have my Faith Hunter reread which I may just pick up speed on and call it Spooky.

 For people looking for a light mystery with a Halloween theme I recently read Death Overdue https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34507290-death-overdue.  I already have the next in the series checked out.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I picked up The Goblin Emperor at the library yesterday so will start my combined listen/hard copy after I finish my current Bo Tully.

I hope you'll enjoy it (and that it won't be a disappointment after all the hype!).

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone! Looking forward to going through all the links as I haven't found a spooky read yet for this month. 

@Junie try Persuasion next - I think it is the most enjoyable of Jane Austen's books!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Robin M said:

 Shirley Jackson's The Lottery was enough for me too.   

Robin, nice to know that I'm not the only one! 

11 hours ago, Shawneinfl said:

Hello, Hello! I haven't visited much this year and I miss you all.

Shawne, nice to see you here! I've missed you.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

Hello everyone! Looking forward to going through all the links as I haven't found a spooky read yet for this month. 

@Junie try Persuasion next - I think it is the most enjoyable of Jane Austen's books!

Persuasion was the first Jane Austen that I read, sometime last year (I think).  I enjoyed it!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pulled The Legend of Sleepy Hollow off the shelf to read this month.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Junie said:

Persuasion was the first Jane Austen that I read, sometime last year (I think).  I enjoyed it!

Yay! It's my favorite Austen. 🙂

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@everybody ... LOL. You gals are too sweet to me. *blush*

I read The Likeness by Tana French (Dublin Murder Squad). Fast paced and kind of creepy (caveat ... creepy for a gal that loves cozy mysteries and Law & Order episodes from the early 90's). Highly recommend for mystery lovers. That said ... I am the last mystery lover on earth to have discovered this series so I'm recommending to extraterrestrials at this point. 

Finished Danger Point by Patricia Wentworth. These are formulaic but still I felt this one had a sweet unexpected ending. 

@Violet Crown - My Sophia has been really into philosophy lately. If anyone in your house has good suggestions for easily approachable philosophy books I'd appreciate it!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not really a horror genre person.  I get spooked.

But if someone wants an odd mystery slightly over supernatural edge (characters seem caught in a sort of hell of a murder replay over and over till whodunit mystery can be solved)  this might work: The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CP8YXH3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1.-MDbRYEVMJ3

Edited by Pen
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking in late ... finished Vanity Fair, all thousand pages of it (category Plucked From the Air), and swapped it out for the ultra-recent John Updike novel Rabbit, Run, which fits zero of my 10x10 categories, but I keep meaning to get around to Updike and so here we are. At this rate I calculate it will take me three years to finish the 10x10 challenge. Go me!

Also reading the occasional Apollinaire poem. Same experience with every poem, thinking I've certainly mistranslated some of the words because this line can't possibly say "O flaming Templars, I burn among you," but I look at the translation and it does indeed mean that. Ah surrealism! Best kind of vocabulary quiz.

  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sandy, glad you're enjoying Voyage to Arcturus! Speaking of Scottish reads, if you haven't already read Margaret Oliphant's short story collection The Beleaguered City, I think you'd like it. Fits the Spooky October theme. I had a genuine frisson a few years ago when I read it and realized one of the eerier tales was set in the town I was living in, the next street over, in a place I could actually see when I read upstairs. Made me not want to whip out to the Tesco Metro after dark. (Fortunately dark was at eleven or so, but still.)

For Halloweenish reading dh thinks I should try Thomas Tryon's The Other, which would fit my Little Oval on the Spine category. Cover claims it's "a landmark of psychological horror" in the tradition of James Hogg and Robert Louis Stevenson, which gave me a moment's hope that Tryon was a Scot, but he's from Connecticut. We'll see.

Amy, dh recommends Sophie's World. Which I haven't read but is supposed to be good. Iris Murdoch was a professional philosopher as well as a novelist, but I don't know how philosophical her novels are, and it's been so long since I've read her that I'm hesitant to recommend, not recalling the appropriateness of the content. 

ETA: Middle Girl picked out a new Truly Random Read for me: Hugh Macdiarmid, Anthology of Poems Scots and English. Which is a 10x10 threefer: Plucked From the AirScots Wha' Hae; and Lyric, Epic, and Dramatic. So lots of books on this week's to-read list.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday and today I read the six story Forward collection which features stories by Blake Crouch, N. K. Jemisin, Veronica Roth, Amor Towles, Paul Tremblay, and Andy Weir . Each story ended with me going hmmm. I liked all of the stories to some extent, but my favorite (which had me going back to read the end, and even now I'm not convinced I quite know what happened) was Ark by Veronica Roth. 

Should you have Amazon Prime, these stories are all in the Prime library.

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Sandy, glad you're enjoying Voyage to Arcturus! Speaking of Scottish reads, if you haven't already read Margaret Oliphant's short story collection The Beleaguered City, I think you'd like it. Fits the Spooky October theme. I had a genuine frisson a few years ago when I read it and realized one of the eerier tales was set in the town I was living in, the next street over, in a place I could actually see when I read upstairs. Made me not want to whip out to the Tesco Metro after dark. (Fortunately dark was at eleven or so, but still.)

For Halloweenish reading dh thinks I should try Thomas Tryon's The Other, which would fit my Little Oval on the Spine category. Cover claims it's "a landmark of psychological horror" in the tradition of James Hogg and Robert Louis Stevenson, which gave me a moment's hope that Tryon was a Scot, but he's from Connecticut. We'll see.

Amy, dh recommends Sophie's World. Which I haven't read but is supposed to be good. Iris Murdoch was a professional philosopher as well as a novelist, but I don't know how philosophical her novels are, and it's been so long since I've read her that I'm hesitant to recommend, not recalling the appropriateness of the content. 

ETA: Middle Girl picked out a new Truly Random Read for me: Hugh Macdiarmid, Anthology of Poems Scots and English. Which is a 10x10 threefer: Plucked From the AirScots Wha' Hae; and Lyric, Epic, and Dramatic. So lots of books on this week's to-read list.

First, for anyone who goes looking I found The Beleaguered City for free on Google books......now I just need to consult my tech advisors on exactly what to do with this find!😉. I think I just need to download it in a different browser and I can put it in my files but there may be a better way.

 I am always more “aware” I guess of books where I know the scene’s physical location so ghostly happenings would certainly keep me indoors at night!  I read a current day Murder mystery set in an area near us in England which is rather bleak and open ........we never did more than drive through there and never will now!  I looked out the window last summer and it just felt scary!  

@aggieamy I actually read Sophie’s World for a Bingo Square a couple of years ago.  I don’t think there is any problem with Sophia reading it.  It actually was one of those books that I threw on my “if I am ever involved in homeschooling another child” this will be added to my curriculum list.  I thought it would combine well with The Tao of Pooh which was really fun!  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realized my above post made it sound like Sophie's World was by Iris Murdoch, but the Murdoch mention was me off on a different train of thought regarding philosophical literature. Amy, you might read Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea some time and see if it would be suitable for Sophia.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posting first and hoping to get back to read through the thread (and link hop) tomorrow night.

I’ve quietly unhooked myself from The K Brothers- Dostoevsky.  I’m counting that book as tried; I made it through 47% of the story after switching to audio <snort n grin> it didn’t help much.  I even tried to watch the Russian film on youtube to spark some interest to keep listening ….     At this point in my life,  I think I’ll  have to remain as a one title reader for Dostoevsky.

Currently reading/listening to:

  • The Canterville Ghost ~ Oscar Wilde, Narrated by Rupert Degas (Classic. Spooky October)
  • The Silmarillion ~ J.R.R. Tolkien   
  • Suffering Is Never for Nothing ~ Elisabeth Elliot   N/F (cc) kindle
  • The Nonesuch ~ Georgette Heyer, narrated by Eve Matheson  (repeat list for G.H book challenge)

Completed:

  •  Dancing in the Dark: Bk 18 ~ Stuart M. Kaminsky, narrator Jim Meskimen (3-)  new author.   Not quite what I was expecting.... Giving a special note to the manuscript/family story Toby’s landlady is writing - it's so badly written that it’s laugh-out-loud funny!  Just ignore this link to my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2821456803   if you love this book.    
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha:  Bk7 ~ Dorothy Gilman, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat (4)  repeat listen.  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2997996295 
  • Traitor's Purse: Albert Campion Bk11 ~ Margery Allingham, narrated by Philip Franks (abridged audio version) (4)  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2591600372 
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Violet Crown I have already resolved myself to the fact that my 10x10 project is going to take me two years! I do still like my categories enough to keep going.

I might read The Beleagured City for spooky. Thanks @mumto2 for letting know that a free version is out there. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a note that free on-line copies of A Beleaguered City may be just that one story; which, while a good story in itself, is better in a collection with her other supernatural fiction. I note that either the Oxford World's Classics collection, or the Canongate Classics collection, (the one I read) is available in good condition via Bookfinder.com for a fiver....

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently free for Kindle readers ~

This one is described as dark fantasy; it has an Australian author:  The 19th Bladesman (Shadow Sword series Book 1) by S. J. Hartland

LGBT romance: Predestination Unknown by Tanya Chris

Contemporary romance:  A Negotiated Marriage (Convenient Marriages Book 1) by Noelle Adams

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the proper way to read The Goblin Emperor has been something I have debated and theorized over on BaW for months I thought I would give an update.  I decided to attempt the audiobook with a hard copy as back up and it is going really well.  I have now passed the halfway point and have not had the chance to actually look any questionable name etc up before the story makes me realize who the confusing character name is.......I am loving it!  I probably could have skipped the hard copy.

Before I forget I also finished listening to a Poirot..........The Three Act Tragedy.  I love it when Hugh Fraser narrates!  I must have read it at some point but the details were extremely blurred.  Enjoyed greatly.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10122772-three-act-tragedy

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Spooktacular book lately was Agatha Christie's Hallowe'en Party. It's quite thrilling to find the odd Christie book I haven't read yet.

I'm currently enjoying a very light and funny read while commuting on the bus. It's impossible to stop from giggling. It's Jim Gaffigan's Dad is Fat. I just noticed that it's available as an audio book read by him! I may need to get that. 😄

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fortunate to win an advanced readers' copy of Nora Roberts' forthcoming The Rise of Magicks: Chronicles of The One, Book 3 which I just finished. It proved to be a somewhat spooky read. I enjoyed the book, but I don't think this is a series I'll be quick to reread.

This is definitely a series that needs to be read in order.

 "After the sickness known as the Doom destroyed civilization, magick has become commonplace, and Fallon Swift has spent her young years learning its ways. Fallon cannot live in peace until she frees those who have been preyed upon by the government or the fanatical Purity Warriors, endlessly hunted or locked up in laboratories, brutalized for years on end. She is determined to save even those who have been complicit with this evil out of fear or weakness―if, indeed, they can be saved.

Strengthened by the bond she shares with her fellow warrior, Duncan, Fallon has already succeeded in rescuing countless shifters and elves and ordinary humans. Now she must help them heal―and rediscover the light and faith within themselves. For although from the time of her birth, she has been The One, she is still only one. And as she faces down an old nemesis, sets her sights on the enemy’s stronghold, and pursues her destiny―to finally restore the mystical shield that once protected them all―she will need an army behind her…"

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...