Menu

What's with the ads?

theelfqueen

Usage: Stove vs oven

My husband and I disagree.

One of us said the other is the only person they've ever heard who regularly calls the oven "the stove" (as in preheat the stove, put the cake in the stove, teenage son attempted to burn down the house by putting a paper plate "in the stove"). 

The other insists that this is normal(perhaps regional) usage - to call both "the stove".

Meanwhile partner 1 says it is unusual usage and most people differentiate between stove (stovetop) and oven. 

So do you and yours regularly call both the stovetop and the oven "the stove" or do you differentiate between "on the stove" and "in the oven" 

Edited by theelfqueen
Clarity
  • Like 1

I always differentiate. I've never heard anyone "stove" when they mean "oven." Except maybe a little kid? Even though our range includes both cooktop and oven in one unit.

• Like 4

We differentiate between the stove and the oven. I don't think anyone here would say "preheat the stove" or "put the cake in the stove". We would use the word "oven".

• Like 2

I never used to think about the difference and just used whatever oven/stove/range until I had a problem with the oven-stove-range and the appliance person very patiently made me aware of the distinction. 

Ours are one unit, and I'll use "stove"to mean the whole thing, like "Do not play near the stove!" Or "careful, the stove is hot!" But I bake in the oven and fry on the stove top. 

• Like 8

I grew up with integrated cookers or stoves, comprising the hob and the oven. I don't use 'stove' much now that they are split in my kitchen.

• Like 1

I tend to refer to the entire appliance as a stove.....as in "When we moved into our old rental, we had to go buy a new electric stove."

But, when referring to the parts of it, the oven is the oven, and the stove is the cook top.  I wouldn't say "Put a cake in the stove" or "cooking pancakes on the oven."

• Like 8

My oven is mounted below the stove which makes it annoying to me for baking. I prefer the oven by itself and used the store bought countertop oven more often. We never call the oven the stove. We don’t call the stove the range either so my kids gets confused when someone use range. They know cooktop is referring to the stove though. 

I had to really think about it but I think I use them interchangeably. I’ll try to listen to myself today. 

• Like 1

As others have said, I tend to use "stove" and "oven" interchangeably when referring to the entire unit. 

"When we moved into this rental, I was happy to discover the landlord had recently replaced the stove."

But I do differentiate when talking about actually cooking with parts of it. "Stove" means the top where the burners are. "Oven" is the box part with the door that opens that is used for baking.

• Like 1

Oven is for baking,  stove is for pots, cooktop.  

The only time I use them interchangeably is when referring to one unit as a whole- move the stove-oven to another location.  If I am referring to turning one on, I use the correct term.  Preheat the oven, put green beans on the stove to heat. 

The top is the stove, the inside part is the oven, but if we need a new one, it's "we need to buy a new stove". 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

As others have said, I tend to use "stove" and "oven" interchangeably when referring to the entire unit. 

"When we moved into this rental, I was happy to discover the landlord had recently replaced the stove."

But I do differentiate when talking about actually cooking with parts of it. "Stove" means the top where the burners are. "Oven" is the box part with the door that opens that is used for baking.

Yeah, here, too. 

Yes, I agree with most here--when talking about the whole appliance, I usually say "stove" instead of range or anything else, but I would never refer to the stove when I was clearly using the oven part.  Nothing goes *in* the stove, only in the oven.  

• Like 2

There is an oven, and then there is a stove.  Totally different.  However, when they come as one unit and if we were shopping for a new one, I'd say, "I'm look for a new stove."   To me, the stove is the main part, and the oven happens to come with it.   But, I would never say, "Put the cake in the stove."

• Like 1

I definitely differentiate when speaking of using it. Like others, if I had to refer to the entire appliance - such as "omg I really want a new stove" (and I do), I'd say "stove" for the entire thing.

However, if you both understand each other then you should chalk this up to a quirk and try to ignore it.

• Like 2

I grew up saying "oven" for the appliance - which, we've always had a combo, which I think is most common in American kitchen. I tend to differentiate when talking about cooking tasks. Like, I can't imagine saying that I was going to fry something in the oven or make a grilled cheese in the oven when I obviously mean the range/stove. However, if I said I needed to clean the "oven" or that the "oven" was broken, I might actually mean the range because I'm thinking of the whole thing as a piece and "it" is broken or about to get cleaned. Or, I know I said that we were getting a new oven at one point and someone asked if we were also getting a range and I was like, well, duh. I mean, I know they can be separate, but ours isn't.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

We differentiate. I have always had a stove, not always an oven. So it makes a difference in our home. 

Right now my oven is broken.... Right when I was going to make a cake too! 

• Like 1

Oven is something that you cook or bake inside of--food goes on the inside and is surrounded by heat. There is the oven appliance, and then there are things such as dutch ovens, solar ovens, etc.

A stove produces heat but if something goes inside it that something is fuel not food. If cooking with a stove the food goes in some kind of receptacle on top. Kitchen ranges and camping stoves are in this category. A stove may also be used primarily to heat the space around it; when I was a kid our primary winter heat came from a coal burning stove. We didn't cook on it but we certainly could have--it was hot! We kids loved to bring snow in from outside and put it on the stove top to watch it melt and watch the water drops jump around.

That's how I use the words. I do tend to call the combined appliance a stove.

I wouldn't try to correct someone over different usage though, using oven for both oven and range seems like an easy to understand generalization.

• Like 1

Never heard anyone (even my grandmother from very rural mo and used a wood stove herself), refer to "put the cake in the stove" - always the oven.

• Like 1

I'm the differentiator ... DH calls the oven the stove and it annoys me lol 

Though if I was referring to the whole appliance I might say "sweep in front of the stove" so I'm not completely differentiating either lol 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

Always say oven for baking etc and stove for only the top.  In general I refer to the whole appliance as the oven.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 11:31 AM, theelfqueen said:

My husband and I disagree.

One of us said the other is the only person they've ever heard who regularly calls the oven "the stove" (as in preheat the stove, put the cake in the stove, teenage son attempted to burn down the house by putting a paper plate "in the stove"). 

The other insists that this is normal(perhaps regional) usage - to call both "the stove".

Meanwhile partner 1 says it is unusual usage and most people differentiate between stove (stovetop) and oven. 

So do you and yours regularly call both the stovetop and the oven "the stove" or do you differentiate between "on the stove" and "in the oven" 

It is a stove. The stove has burners for surface cooking, and an oven for baking (and usually also a broiler). I can't think of a discussion we might have where one of us would confuse cooking on one of the burners with cooking in the oven. o_0 But we would put things in the oven or on a burner. I don't think we have ever used the term  "stove top."

A cooktop is a whole different thing. It is *just* the surface burners, and you need a separate oven, which doesn't need to be near the cooktop at all.

I've seen online conversations where people use "stove" and "oven" and "cooktop" almost interchangeably, but I can't participate, because to me, they are specific and different things, so I keep scrolling, lol.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

The stove and the oven are different here. Things go in the oven but on the stove.

• Like 2

I was in 8th grade before I learned the term range; we had always just referred to the unit as the "stove."  However, things that are baking are referred to as being "in the oven" and things that are boiling or otherwise being prepared on the stovetop are referred to being "on the stove."

• Like 2

“In the stove” if it’s a woodstove.  Otherwise “in the oven”.  

• Like 1

I've heard it both ways, I've never put enough thought into it to be upset by it.

It is a single unit, stove, oven, and range are all interchangeable. Context tells you whether it is the burners or the oven you are using.

Personally, I preheat the oven to bake and use the stove to boil a pot of water. The whole unit is either a range or a stove. But I've never been bothered by someone preheating a stove.

Currently I have a cooktop but no oven. The cooktop is neither a range nor a stove, it's just a cooktop with 4 burners. We have a very large toaster oven with a rotisserie setting that we have been using as our oven for a couple of years now while we save up for a wall oven. It works well.

• Like 1

I never say "stove" when I mean specifically "oven."

"Stove" however can mean either the stovetop or the whole unit, e.g., "we need to buy a new stove."

If I say "wipe off the stove," all understand that I mean stovetop, maybe the outside of the oven door, but not the inside of the oven.

• Like 1

I always differentiate.  A "stove" is a very different thing than an "oven", even though they're part of the same "range".

ETA: I came back because it has occurred to me that I grew up with a stove top and a wall oven.  That is probably why they are so very different beasts in my mind. Now that I'm grown, and I have a range, I do refer to the whole appliance as the stove, but I would never refer to just the oven as the stove.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 1

it's like the refrigerator.  We buy a fridge.  We put the milk in the fridge.  But we put ice cream in the freezer, not the refrigerator.

• Like 1

They are two different things. The oven is where you bake. The stovetop is where you boil, simmer, saute, etc things. Totally different tools. I also have separate appliances in different locations - the stovetop is on one side of the kitchen, the oven is on the other side. But even when we lived in a house with a range, the stovetop and oven were always referred to specifically. 

Definitly we call the baking area an oven. 

We also have a woodstove but seldom cook on it. 

The whole unit (we have always had a combined unit) I have heard called both stove and oven and range.  I think I use stove the most though.

In our Stove, there is an Oven. The Stove has Burners on Top and an Oven and a Broiler. We bought a Stove in the store.