Menu

What's with the ads?

Noreen Claire

Need educational tv/dvd recommendations for 4 days

I'm taking an exam this coming Friday as the first hurdle towards getting my teaching licence back up-to-date (I've been out of work since DS7 was born). I would like to schedule a very light week for DS10 and DS7, so that I can study and panic during the week. They will still do math and independent literature reading, but I need something to keep them busy while I study. 

We have been studying dinosaurs, paleontology, archeology, and early civilizations (at chapter 4 in SOTW1). We have been reading The Odyssey (McCaughrean) as a family read-aloud. Can anyone recommend good tv shows/movies that I can put on for a 10, 7, 5, and nearly-3 year old? We have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a fabulous library.

Thanks!

Animated History With Pipo is on Amazon Prime.  I think that's what it's called - little cartoon boy and ancient civilizations.

We're enjoying the not-terribly-educational Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader.  It's on Prime, too.  Ds is enjoying having a real shot at answering the questions, unlike when we watch Jeopardy as a family. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Animated History With Pipo is on Amazon Prime.  I think that's what it's called - little cartoon boy and ancient civilizations.

We're enjoying the not-terribly-educational Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader.  It's on Prime, too.  Ds is enjoying having a real shot at answering the questions, unlike when we watch Jeopardy as a family. 😄

Thank you!

Engineering an Empire.  documentary, narrated by Peter Weller (Admiral Marcus from Star Trek.)  He actually has a Doc in this, and teaches part time.  His classes are reputed to be hard.  (they're on youtube.)

for this age, magic school bus could still be interesting.

eta: it will fit in very well with archeology and early civilizations.  china, carthage, rome, Egypt....

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Connections by James Burke can be quite interesting for that age - it is on  youtube, depends on video quality.

I recently watched a documentary on George Boole (math and early computer science and astronomy) I would recommend. I think it was Netflix.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Horrible Histories? (There is an online game that is really fun thru BBC  but I think you might need tunnelbear or the like to play it--maybe someone here knows?) 

Drive by Bible series?

• Like 1

Animated History of Kids https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Animated-History-with-Pipo/dp/B016886QU0

Who Was? Show on Netflix https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/netflix-who-was-show-1202806747/

Ocean Mysteries

Sea Rescues

Ocean Vet

Fetch with Ruff Ruff man (PBS, Amazon) - it looks young, but man, they cover every subject known to man on that show. Kids could watch it all week and know more than you might teach them in a year!

Maybe some "This Old House" for home repair 🙂

• Like 1

Brain Games is really interesting and fun, and has a ton of science in it. There is the regular version and a kids version as well I think. 

And I adore the series Money Life, about an ape/monkey sanctuary in England. I think that one is on Hulu. 

If YouTube is an option, look up Homeschool Pop, Ted Ed, or Scishow for kids. 

Disney Nature films, especially Bears and Monkey Kingdom.

Curious George, of course.

For the older kids, Crash Course Kids science videos on YouTube are very well done.

You can also look on Pinterest for educational video lists that perfectly coordinate with SOTW.