Menu

I'm sure Downton Abbey has been discussed?

MaBelle

32 minutes ago, Mrs. Darinski said:

You think what has been discussed?  😉

My guess is she thinks the movie has been discussed. Actually it was, but the thread wasn't very long. 

I liked it. It was comfort food. As soon as the theme music started I felt like I was about to visit an old friend. It wasn't an exciting movie but it wasn't an exciting series either. It was a soap opera with British accents and great costumes. 

• Like 5

A lot of people I know from different groups all wanted to watch it with me.  But the groups don’t overlap.  I watched it with a family group the first time and was very disappointed at how boooring it was.  So I groaned when I realized I still had to go see it again with a friend group.  (I promised a friend who can’t drive that I’d take her with the friend group.)

I figured I could nap during it this time, but I actually liked it better the second time around.  There was precious little true conflict in the movie and once I knew that nothing terribly exciting was going to happen, I just sat back and enjoyed the scenery and the clothing and some of the one liners with Maggie Smith.

And that scene when the king came to dinner and someone spoke out of turn made me laugh out loud both times. Beautiful comedic timing and perfectly acted.  (I’m chuckling now thinking about it.)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mrs. Darinski said:

You think what has been discussed?  😉

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

My guess is she thinks the movie has been discussed. Actually it was, but the thread wasn't very long. 

I liked it. It was comfort food. As soon as the theme music started I felt like I was about to visit an old friend. It wasn't an exciting movie but it wasn't an exciting series either. It was a soap opera with British accents and great costumes. 

🤣

(It's Downton)

• Like 2

I enjoyed it as a “comfort food” movie, too. I love the costuming! That black/silver dress Mary wears when Granny is giving her some upsetting news was just incredibly beautiful. The banter between Violet and Isabel is worth the price of admission. 😄

My overall feeling was that the plot points were simply rushed, as they must be in a two-hour movie, rather than 9 episodes. I thought it was odd that Thomas made one little peep about being shunted to the side when Carson came out of retirement and then nothing more was said. And Carson has Parkinson’s - that was the entire reason for Thomas’ promotion, but there were no indicators about that at all. I think that was another thing there simply was not enough time to discuss. 

I also thought there would be more info about Marigold. Honestly, the story surrounding Marigold was one of the TV shows storylines that never sat well with me. I have a lot of sympathy for the farmer’s wife who raised her for a while. Not much was made of the travesty of Edith getting to decide she didn’t want the child adopted out anymore. And there’s no evidence that Marigold is in any way affected by being passed around to different mothers and families. That always bothered me. I get that it was a different era and people of privilege had the “right” to do such things but, as a mama, I find it awful. 

• Like 1

I liked it! But, I expected it to be somewhat boring. 😊 like others have said, I just liked hearing that intro song and seeing my characters again...it was comforting to me. I just enjoyed seeing them and the costumes and didn’t expect any real storyline. I’m with @Quill about marigold though...it was my least favorite storyline on that show and I’m actually glad it wasn’t brought up in the movie or I wouldn’t have like it as much. 

• Like 2