Menu

What's with the ads?

Reefgazer

Weighted vs Unweighted Transcripts

So DD will have 25 college credits under her belt by the time she graduates, nearly all A's (a few B's).  Is there any advantage to doing a weighted transcript for her, or is unweighted just as sufficient?  Why do people do unweighted transcripts anyway? 

Edited by Reefgazer

I think some people do them unweighted because they know colleges are just feeding them through their own process anyway, so what's the point. But some scholarships don't re-weight. I'd weight.

• Like 3

Not every college reweights and some scholarships are granted just based on whatever you give them so it can hurt your child not to weight.

Our umbrella school that sends transcripts sends them unweighted unless you request weighted. I would always weight to make sure my dc did not miss out on automatic scholarships/ honors programs. 

Seems like there is more risk with unweighted whereas weighted is not going to hurt you. The school can unweight/ reweight if they want. 

• Like 1

I had 2 boxes on dd's transcript - weighted and unweighted gpa so I put both down.

• Like 1

I listed both. Colleges can do whatever the want with either. I'm big into giving them options. (DD's college gives up to full tuition scholarships for ACT/GPA combos & they accept weighted #s. No way wouldn't I list weighted as part of the transcript.)

• Like 1

I decided to list both on my dd’s Transcript because I figured it wouldn’t hurt to do so and could possibly be a plus if she is considered for scholarship money.

Edited by Mom0012

I just did unweighted.  I check the schools he applied to and they all used their own formulas.  In our part of the world, grading systems aren't consistent across schools anyway and admissions were holistic.  I certainly would have attempted to weight if I would have thought it beneficial.  My kid had an official 4.0 dual enroll transcript with 32 credits so I figured that spoke loud enough on that end.  

Mine is weighted only. It's what all the schools around here do and what the state flagship, which is located in our school district, expects.