Menu

Derek Owens Physics....seems overwhelming

My son (a senior) started DO physics about 2 weeks ago and is over whelmed by the number of videos and the amount of content....is that a normal reaction to this program?   He wants to quit already...and we can't afford to do that...time wise.  Here is it October and he has to either take physics this year or next year in college...and I am thinking that will be harder.  So if we stop now (we have already stopped one program that wasn't working) we will just be that much further behind.  Help!  What do I do?

• Sad 1

My son took DO Physics last year.  He did start out a bit stumbly, but I got great advice on this forum about how to study for physics and it turned out to be amazing advice, but I have no idea how to find that thread.

Edited by Mbelle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mbelle said:

My son took DO Physics last year.  He did start out a bit stumbly, but I got great advice on this forum about how to study for physics and it turned out to be amazing advice, but I have no idea how to find that thread.

Maybe someone here can help us find that thread....I would love to read it.  Did you start the thread? or was it one that you just found and read?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

Maybe someone here can help us find that thread....I would love to read it.  Did you start the thread? or was it one that you just found and read?

OH, good idea! LOL..maybe I did start the thread!  I'll go check.

• Like 1

We started a reward system, which ds found a bit silly, but it actually ended up working.

For every step of the process he did I put $1 in a "study jar" which was just a pint jar.  If he didn't do it I took away gaming rights, and it never came to that.

So he pre read, which is really easy to do with DO, then he did his class notes.  Then he reviewed all his notes.

After he received work back, he redid all his problems, including the ones he got correct.

When he prepared for a test, he went over those all the problems again and he also did the final exam practice for the particular chapter he was on.

Once he started this process he mostly got A's and ended up with a low A score overall both Semesters.

• Like 2