Menu

Best scripted math for 2nd grade

photogmom2

Hello, 

I recently took my second grade son out of public school and am looking for a math program.  What are the best scripted math programs?  He seems to process math quickly and doesn't seem to need any manipulatives.  I have 3 kids at home so I would like a scripted open and go program.  

Thanks!  

You might like math mammoth.  It is well-suited for a quick learner and includes lots of problem solving.  Everything is together in a single worktext.  You go over the teaching box with the child at the beginning of the lesson.  It is easy to use in the midst of chaos, though not scripted really.  A good reader could work with a fair amount of independence.

Right Start is scripted. This is the one that uses an Abacus.

If you go for Saxon K-3, you may want to consider jumping to 3 if your son gets things easily.  

We liked CLE a lot, but spiral worked really well for two of my kids. 

My other two did great with Math Mammoth.  The only thing I would add is to consider skipping every other problem as there can be a lot.  It's not as scripted as Saxon, but still I found it easy to teach. 

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I found out we're right where we should be 😁

Neither of our favorite ones have been on there (MEP and Gattegno), but it was able to point me in the direction that we needed to go to find something that worked for ds, and kept us within budget - both are available free but I bought the print version of the second for about $9/book.  He's doing beautifully with Gattegno right now and we won't change again until we have to.

I think MEP and RightStart are the best fully scripted programs but you have to tweak MEP for home use and RS has tons of manipulatives which the OP doesn't want.

I don't think of Math Mammoth as "scripted" but it's inexpensive, thorough, not so different from public schools, but also more conceptual. So that would actually be my top recommendation, at least to start out. It's definitely "open and go." Singapore would be another great option. But, then again, the only math programs that I think of as not "open and go" are things like Miquon, which is so open ended. The vast majority of programs you just keep doing the next thing until you finish.

You don't need scripted with that dc most likely. You just need something that fits his personality. If he wants to pick stuff up and works and needs little scripting, then your scripted curriculum is a waste. Cathy Duffy has learner types (Perfect Paula, Competent Carl, etc.) and correlates them to curriculum in her books.