Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Æthelthryth the Texan

Is anyone going to see Joker this weekend?

Is anyone going to go see this this weekend? I really want to, but dh and I decided for our family, for now, we're going to have to wait until it hits streaming I think. It's just not worth the risk to me. They're putting undercover officers in theaters and all sorts of things. But it looks amazing. Joaquin Phoenix usually is, and it seems like if someone could parallel Heath Ledger it might be him. I am curious how they walk the line of making him a sympathetic in some ways but still reviling character- or if that's even how they do it. There's so much hype from people who haven't even seen it, I am not sure what to expect. Like Taxi Driver or something maybe. I mean, Travis Bickle's like the original film incel. 

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone was actually going to see it this opening weekend. 

Nope. Not interested.

Something called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" is showing at our one screen movie theater.

I did see Ad Astra (shown for two weeks exclusively).

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Is anyone going to go see this this weekend? I really want to, but dh and I decided for our family, for now, we're going to have to wait until it hits streaming I think. It's just not worth the risk to me. They're putting undercover officers in theaters and all sorts of things. But it looks amazing. Joaquin Phoenix usually is, and it seems like if someone could parallel Heath Ledger it might be him. I am curious how they walk the line of making him a sympathetic in some ways but still reviling character- or if that's even how they do it. There's so much hype from people who haven't even seen it, I am not sure what to expect. Like Taxi Driver or something maybe. I mean, Travis Bickle's like the original film incel. 

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone was actually going to see it this opening weekend. 

?????  Have there been threats made?  Is there something about it that would make it a target for....something?

Anyway, I have no desire to see it.  But I am not it's target audience anyway.  I am not a movie person in general, pretty much not a super hero movie person, and very very much not a villain as the main character sort of movie person.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

?????  Have there been threats made?  Is there something about it that would make it a target for....something?

Anyway, I have no desire to see it.  But I am not it's target audience anyway.  I am not a movie person in general, pretty much not a super hero movie person, and very very much not a villain as the main character sort of movie person.  

There have been false correlations drawn between this movie and the Aurora movie theater showing of the Dark Knight Rises.  A rumor that the shooter saw himself as the Joker (debunked by the officers who actually took him in).  In fact, the shooter said that his choice of that movie was random just because it was a blockbuster.  But it has caused people to issue warnings against it possibly inciting violence.

I am not planning to see it.  I go to see very few movies in theaters.  But my plans not to see it are not because of fear of violence. 

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There have been false correlations drawn between this movie and the Aurora movie theater showing of the Dark Knight Rises.  A rumor that the shooter saw himself as the Joker (debunked by the officers who actually took him in).  In fact, the shooter said that his choice of that movie was random just because it was a blockbuster.  But it has caused people to issue warnings against it possibly inciting violence.

I am not planning to see it.  I go to see very few movies in theaters.  But my plans not to see it are not because of fear of violence. 

Aaaaahhhh!  Yeah I can see how that could cause concern.  Crazy people aren't exactly rational in the things that they chose to idolize and mimic.  

There has been a threat, for military theater(s), that is being investigated.   Unless the investigation is over.  

Edited by myblessings4

Saw it last night. It was fantastic. The acting, cinematography, music... totally appealed to the artsy side of me. And most definitely echoes of Heath Ledger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Nope. Not interested.

Something called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" is showing at our one screen movie theater.

I did see Ad Astra (shown for two weeks exclusively).

I saw The Art of Racing in the Rain. It was good. (Sad, though...)

Did you like Ad Astra? That’s on my to-watch list. 

No plans ATM to see Joker. Not any particular reason; I’m just more interested in other movies coming soon. 

❤️Joaquin Phoenix as an actor, and he is the only reason I'd see it. Comic book / superhero movies aren't really my thing.

If my husband really wanted to see it and thought it was okay to go this weekend, I probably would.

No, out of principle.  I like Batman.  Dh and I have dressed up as Joker and Harley at least a few times and done it very well.  BUT...
I'm really tired of movies that push the R rating when it's unnecessary, and since every iteration of Joker has had about a PG-13 screen rating, it's foolish to be so explicit in this one.  Directors who can't figure out how to use their imagination shouldn't be directing.

I am just getting to the point where it's frustrating to find something to watch as a family because everything is either junky kids shows or way too explicit to make it so it's definitely adult only.  There's no middle ground anymore.  So, no, I won't be watching Joker.  I'll keep my dollars in my pocket and show my vote against it that way.

• Like 2

You will not catch me near any movie theaters this weekend. I was in a theater for the 11pm premiere of Dark Knight on July 20, 2012. It was a dark night, indeed. Hype or not, I’ll be watching a DVD comfortably at home. 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

James Holmes did not idolize the joker, but the character has since become an icon of incels. 

FWIW, Joaquin Phoenix won my heart with his role in signs (eta and the village - how could you not love him in the village?!) and my respect for Walk the Line. I’d like to see his acting in this film, but it won’t be in a theater. 

Edited by Seasider too

Nope. I think Phoenix is an amazing guy, but I’ve never seen a superhero movie since some boring Batman movie that seemed to last forever back in the late 80’s-early 90’s? No Spider-Man, Joker, none of the never ending Marvel/Avenger whatever ones. Wait, I saw all the Transformer shows ever made, not sure if that counts as superhero.

Ive read that there was a lot of industry type people upset this one was made, saying the two main men involved are has beens who were upset that their type of humor is no longer in vogue. I think they peaked with the asinine Hangover movies? 

Edited by Dotwithaperiod

8 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Nope. I think Phoenix is an amazing guy, but I’ve never seen a superhero movie since some boring Batman movie that seemed to last forever back in the late 80’s-early 90’s? No Spider-Man, Joker, none of the never ending Marveled el/Avenger whatever ones. Wait, I saw all the Transformer shows ever made, not sure if that counts as superhero.

Ive read that there was a lot of industry type people upset this one was made, saying the two main men involved are has beens who were upset that their type of humor is no longer in vogue. I think they peaked with the asinine Hangover movies? 

And just like that, I can’t be friends with you anymore.  <throws sucker in the dirt>  🤣

i was just coming here to say the only Batman movie worth seeing is the one from 1989 with Michael Keaton.  Shame on you, Dot.  shhhaaaammmme on you.  

Funny aside... I went to the movies to see the brilliant 1989 Batman with my parents.  My mama was a big Batman fan from wayback.  When the Batman symbol came up on the screen right before the movie started...she said to my daddy and I, “I have never been able to figure out why they have teeth in the Batman sign.”  🤦‍♀️  She didn’t see bat wings, she saw teeth.  My dad and I about died laughing.  

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

And just like that, I can’t be friends with you anymore.  <throws sucker in the dirt>  🤣

i was just coming here to say the only Batman movie worth seeing is the one from 1989 with Michael Keaton.  Shame on you, Dot.  shhhaaaammmme on you.  

Funny aside... I went to the movies to see the brilliant 1989 Batman with my parents.  My mama was a big Batman fan from wayback.  When the Batman symbol came up on the screen right before the movie started...she said to my daddy and I, “I have never been able to figure out why they have teeth in the Batman sign.”  🤦‍♀️  She didn’t see bat wings, she saw teeth.  My dad and I about died laughing.  

Sorry! I had two little kids with me. It was several hours of pure torture, rivaled only by the hellishly long film, Milo and Otis, that I saw with a class of Pre-K kids high on slushees and sweet-tarts.

• Haha 4

No interest. 

In fact, I'm feeling pretty cranky that I can't find a movie to see this weekend. After being stuck in the house recuperating since Tuesday, I would love to venture out for a low-stress activity, and a movie seems perfect, except that there is not one film playing that I have any interest in seeing.

Just now, Jenny in Florida said:

No interest. 

In fact, I'm feeling pretty cranky that I can't find a movie to see this weekend. After being stuck in the house recuperating since Tuesday, I would love to venture out for a low-stress activity, and a movie seems perfect, except that there is not one film playing that I have any interest in seeing.

Not even Downton Abbey?

eta - good to hear you are feeling up to getting out!

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 1

I would love to, but we don't go to the movies here. It will be hard to beat Heath's performance, though. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Not even Downton Abbey?

eta - good to hear you are feeling up to getting out!

I lost interest in Downton Abbey after the first three or four seasons. 

Thanks! I'm still tired and sore and mentally pretty fuzzy, even though I'm trying not to take the big-guns pain relievers except at night, but boredom has set in. I was thinking that a short drive to the closest movie theatre and then sitting in a comfy seat for a couple of hours would be a manageable outing, if only there were something to see.

• Like 3

the only Batman movie worth seeing is the one from 1989 with Michael Keaton.

Yes!!! That moment when he says, "I'm Batman." Nothing else compares to Keaton's performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BakersDozen said:

Yes!!! That moment when he says, "I'm Batman." Nothing else compares to Keaton's performance.

Was Jack Nicholson the Joker in this one?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

See!  You get it!  Oh, Dot, Dot, Dot... 🤦‍♀️

yes, Jack Nicholson was the joker, and he was awesome! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Quill said:

Did you like Ad Astra? That’s on my to-watch list. 

My kids asked me this, too. That's a tough question to answer.

I did overall, but it was tough at some points. I thought it was a thinker movie. As someone who has had to deal with separating my own identity and actions from those of my mother and dealing with my own reactions to what she did to my siblings and I as a child/teenager, I found it thought-provoking. We are not responsible for actions of a close relative. We are not our parents. We are responsible or our own reactions and actions. And forgiveness may or may not be part of that.

Edited by RootAnn
Fixed a typo that was bugging me
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

My kids asked me this, too. That's a tough question to answer.

I did overall, but it was tough at some points. I thought it was a thinker movie. As someone who has had to deal with separating my own identity and actions from those of my mother and dealing with my own reactions to what she did to my siblings and I as a child/teenager, I found it thought-provoking. We ate not responsible for actions of a close relative. We are not our parents. We are responsible or our own reactions and actions. And forgiveness may or may not be part of that.

Wow. I need to see this one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Apparently there have been "credible threats" on the dark web......which I'm guessing there always are, but after the last three months, guess they aren't going to take chances. Some of the major cities are putting undercover cops in theaters from what I've read in the paper today and security is supposed to actually be present at some? Idk. Once the Army sent out a warning to its members about the threats and precautions to take, I was like "peace out Joaquin, we're going to have to catch this at home." Everyone here carries guns, so if someone did pull out a gun, we'd probably be just as likely to get shot by someone else shooting back. 

But, shhhhhh....... don't tell Thatboyofmine, but The Dark Knight was the best Batman movie EVER MADE and I'm pretty curious to see how Phoenix does his take- it's hard to picture someone topping Heath Ledger in that film. Not to mention I generally like origin stories. And this one seems to have so much to think about. I read it is minus special effects and that's exciting too. I am so not a Marvel type of person- this is one of the few things I could sit down and watch for two hours-  I'd rather have a great script and great character acting that lots of things blowing up. 

Man, I really want to go. But I figure we've had two shooting here in the last 60 days so I probably should hedge my bets and not. 😞

4 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

See!  You get it!  Oh, Dot, Dot, Dot... 🤦‍♀️

yes, Jack Nicholson was the joker, and he was awesome! 

Is that the one where Batman has nipples? I have no memory of the actual movie. I disliked the Batman show as a kid, too, but our parents watched it, and Star Trek, with my siblings at night and we wouldn’t have dinner until they were done. So being a bit stubborn, and hungry I guess,  I decided to never watch them. I only recently started watching the old shows, one where Spock has to get back to his planet so he can spawn like a salmon.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Is that the one where Batman has nipples? I have no memory of the actual movie. I disliked the Batman show as a kid, too, but our parents watched it, and Star Trek, with my siblings at night and we wouldn’t have dinner until they were done. So being a bit stubborn, and hungry I guess,  I decided to never watch them. I only recently started watching the old shows, one where Spock has to get back to his planet so he can spawn like a salmon.

I think it was the George Clooney one that had nipples. Or maybe Val Kilmer. When it all really just went to hell in a handbasket.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Or maybe Val Kilmer. When it all really just went to hell in a handbasket.  

Bite your tongue, friend.

Val Kilmer was my favorite Batman.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think it was the George Clooney one that had nipples. Or maybe Val Kilmer. When it all really just went to hell in a handbasket.  

Both! Kilmer had nipples in Batman Forever and Clooney in Batman & Robin. Clooney said he thought the nipples were stupid but maybe Batman was "just constantly cold," lol. The director said he's sure there'll be something about Batman's nipples on his tombstone. 😂

• Haha 3

I didn’t see the Clooney or Kilmer Batman, so I googled ‘Batman Nipples’.   Huh.  That was interesting.   Those would have to be very big nipples to actually push through that suit, but hey, not my nipples, not my business.   😳🤪

• Haha 3

The things I have in my search history from you people. And my Amazon suggestions! Oi.

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I didn’t see the Clooney or Kilmer Batman, so I googled ‘Batman Nipples’.   Huh.  That was interesting.   Those would have to be very big nipples to actually push through that suit, but hey, not my nipples, not my business.   😳🤪

The director said he was trying to imitate the look of Greek and Roman bronze breastplates, which were often "anatomically correct" with abs and nipples and even belly buttons. He said he thought the molded rubber Batman suit looked really cool and it never occurred to him that millions of people would become totally obsessed with "two pieces of rubber the size of pencil erasers." 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The director said he was trying to imitate the look of Greek and Roman bronze breastplates, which were often "anatomically correct" with abs and nipples and even belly buttons. He said he thought the molded rubber Batman suit looked really cool and it never occurred to him that millions of people would become totally obsessed with "two pieces of rubber the size of pencil erasers." 😂

Well, he totally underestimated the twisted minds of the American public.  🤣

You know, Batman does live in a cave. So, technically, he probably does walk around all day with pointy nips.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Apparently there have been "credible threats" on the dark web......which I'm guessing there always are, but after the last three months, guess they aren't going to take chances. Some of the major cities are putting undercover cops in theaters from what I've read in the paper today and security is supposed to actually be present at some? Idk. Once the Army sent out a warning to its members about the threats and precautions to take, I was like "peace out Joaquin, we're going to have to catch this at home." Everyone here carries guns, so if someone did pull out a gun, we'd probably be just as likely to get shot by someone else shooting back. 

But, shhhhhh....... don't tell Thatboyofmine, but The Dark Knight was the best Batman movie EVER MADE and I'm pretty curious to see how Phoenix does his take- it's hard to picture someone topping Heath Ledger in that film. Not to mention I generally like origin stories. And this one seems to have so much to think about. I read it is minus special effects and that's exciting too. I am so not a Marvel type of person- this is one of the few things I could sit down and watch for two hours-  I'd rather have a great script and great character acting that lots of things blowing up. 

Man, I really want to go. But I figure we've had two shooting here in the last 60 days so I probably should hedge my bets and not. 😞

Oh you guys, Phoenix doesn’t try to top Ledger. It’s more of an homage. And nothing like the hangover movies. And the R rating is not about sex, or really violence, it is in the league of psychological thriller. They may say this isn’t related to Dark Knight (and it doesn’t work age-wise), but if this had been made first, we’d be saying either Ledger was trying to top Phoenix, or that he did a n amazing job or developing Phoenix’s Joker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my teens wanted to sneak in and see it this weekend and I had to be like, oh son, let me school you in the proper time to buy a ticket to the wrong movie and sneak into the R-rated one. It's *not* opening weekend.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

One of my teens wanted to sneak in and see it this weekend and I had to be like, oh son, let me school you in the proper time to buy a ticket to the wrong movie and sneak into the R-rated one. It's *not* opening weekend.

I honestly wonder if kids can still do that anymore. Here you have to buy everything online or at an electronic kiosk where you select your seats in advance, and so when you go in you know EXACTLY which seats you are sitting in. No more going in and selecting seats on the fly......I guess if it wasn't crowded, then you could always come in after and find an empty seat. Well, or wait until it get to the dollar cinema.

I do feel like kids these days don't get to experience all of the things like we did. And like Life360. Man, my teen years would have been way less exciting had THAT been around, LOL. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

I think I’m just going to take mine though I hate these sort of movies. And I haven’t even seen downtown abbey yet!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I honestly wonder if kids can still do that anymore. Here you have to buy everything online or at an electronic kiosk where you select your seats in advance, and so when you go in you know EXACTLY which seats you are sitting in. No more going in and selecting seats on the fly......I guess if it wasn't crowded, then you could always come in after and find an empty seat. Well, or wait until it get to the dollar cinema.

I do feel like kids these days don't get to experience all of the things like we did. And like Life360. Man, my teen years would have been way less exciting had THAT been around, LOL. 

Well, mine have done it before. Most recently, one of them got tickets to Lion King and saw It. If it’s not crowded, I think it still works. I looked it up and they seem to just kick them out if it happens so I was like, it’s your money, have at it. I can’t think of an R movie I wouldn’t let them see.

One of them went to meet a friend a bit ago and since she’s a senior, I realized belatedly that she might be old enough and they might be having her buy the tickets and he might be trying anyway. I guess I’ll hear. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 2:44 PM, Jenny in Florida said:

No interest. 

I feel the same way.  I have a gift card for the theater that I've had since Mother's Day and I can't seem to find a movie I want to go see.   It looks like half the screens in all our local theaters are showing the Joker, then Hustlers, AdAstra, Downton Abbey (never watched the show so no interest), and Rambo.  Why is there another Rambo movie?

I do like the Marvel movies but I'm at least three movies behind now so I'll need to watch them streaming before I have any chance of seeing something in theaters.  

• Like 1

It's not my kind of movie so even without the controversy I wouldn't be interested in seeing it. Ds and a friend went tonight to a 10:15 showing. I'm sure I'll be asleep by the time he gets home but I know he'll probably tell me about it tomorrow. 

• Like 1