Menu

October Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

12 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Recipe, please? 😁

2 Purple yams (Ube) - available at Asian markets (I went to HMart)
1 " piece ginger (I doubled this, but I also think I may have had large yams)
1/2 c. coconut milk (I ended up about doubling this, which also makes me think I had largish yams vs. the recipe.  I also used light coconut milk)
sweetener to taste - I used just a bit of liquid stevia; if you don't mind actual sugar, honey or maple syrup would also work

Roast the yams in the oven at 400ºF about an hour - recipe says to cover in foil, so I did.  It says they should be soft and tender when done; mine needed about 1.5 hours to get there, so again, largish yams.  Let cool.

Put coconut milk and ginger in food processor or heavy duty blender and whiz.  I grated the ginger beforehand, as I only have a honking food processor, and I didn't think that would blend the ginger well enough alone.  In a blender you might not need to do that.

Scoop out yam flesh and add to blender/processor and whiz some more.  Add more coconut milk if necessary to desired consistency, sweeten to taste.  Eat warm or chill and eat later.

If when I make this again I might add a third (largish even) yam which would enable me to use a whole can of coconut milk.  I hate having leftover canned stuff and nothing to do with it...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

1/2 c. coconut milk (I ended up about doubling this, which also makes me think I had largish yams vs. the recipe.  I also used light coconut milk)
sweetener to taste - I used just a bit of liquid stevia; if you don't mind actual sugar, honey or maple syrup would also work

Roast the yams in the oven at 400ºF about an hour - recipe says to cover in foil, so I did.  It says they should be soft and tender when done; mine needed about 1.5 hours to get there, so again, largish yams.  Let cool.

Put coconut milk and ginger in food processor or heavy duty blender and whiz.  I grated the ginger beforehand, as I only have a honking food processor, and I didn't think that would blend the ginger well enough alone.  In a blender you might not need to do that.

Scoop out yam flesh and add to blender/processor and whiz some more.  Add more coconut milk if necessary to desired consistency, sweeten to taste.  Eat warm or chill and eat later.

If when I make this again I might add a third (largish even) yam which would enable me to use a whole can of coconut milk.  I hate having leftover canned stuff and nothing to do with it...

Thanks! It sounds great. What's the difference between Asian yams and sweet potatoes? Do you add any spices to the soup besides ginger

This recipe sounds a lot like my dairy-free pumpkin pie filling without the egg (I should try it with fresh ginger!). I'll also make it with a Georgian sweet candy squash. I'm gluten-free, too, soI don't make a crust, just put an oat mixture as a base.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Thanks! It sounds great. What's the difference between Asian yams and sweet potatoes? Do you add any spices to the soup besides ginger

LOL, I had the same question, and googled.  I knew that yams and sweet potatoes are not related botanically, but the names are often used interchangeably and can in most cases be substituted for each other.  I was not, however, aware of the variety of purple ones!  Apparently there are two types of purple sweet potato, and the one type of purple yam (ube, which is what I used - and yes, it really was an ube, like in the pic below, with the ugly bumpy outside).  None of those are purple on the outside, but have purple flesh.  Japanese sweet potatoes, conversely, are purple on the outside but not on the inside.

https://www.friedas.com/the-ultimate-purple-sweet-potato-guide/

From that article: 

Also known as a purple yam, ube is a staple of the Filipino kitchen and is well loved all over Asia as a dessert ingredient for its sweet and nutty flavor.

With all the attention on ube comes the confusion about this elusive yam. (Yes, a true yam!)

First of all, ube is rarely available fresh in the U.S. Many people would say that they indeed have bought some “ube,” but photographic proof usually shows they’ve bought either Stokes Purple® or Okinawan sweet potatoes, or sometimes even taro root.

This, folks, is a fresh ube.

Frieda's Specialty Produce - Ube

Look what pretty pudding they made! - and yes, fresh ginger is the only 'spice' (don't tend to think of fresh ginger of a spice the way I do ground ginger ... )  

20191024_000427.jpg

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Oh, sounds yummy! I've never seen purple yams where I live as I'm rural but next time I'm in the city I'll have to look, I'd bet they would keep a while.

Today is yoga at 9 and lifting at 4:30. Yoga will be somewhere between relaxing slow flow and power yoga. 

I've been working on the 100Day Meltdown schedule making it work for me. I will not be doing the upperbody or full body days as hit my upper body sufficiently and am working towards my personal goals(pullups). I think I will do the 1 day of lower body once a week as I'm not hitting that as much. Today I'm not doing any of the workouts I think since I've already got 2 scheduled. Mostly I want to try something new, challenge myself in some way, add in some hiit/plyo work.

• Like 2

@Matryoshka   Thanks for the info on ube. Who dug these things up and discovered that they were purple inside and then decided to eat them, is what I want to know! 🤔   I do want to try them! Great excuse to toddle off to the big Asian grocery story!!  Maybe they'll have Thai basil, too.

I get to go on my weekly walk with homeschool moms this afternoon! 

• Like 2

Yoga done, good class! 

My mom is heavily considering doing the Tough Mudder with me and I asked my brother and SIL, my brother especially is a fitness nut. The more people increases the motivation. It feels good to be moving more again after such a slow period.

• Like 4

@Matryoshka I will have to keep my eyes open for those purple monsters next time I'm in an Asian market.  My kids would LOVE purple food!  

@soror Tough mudder would be so fun if you could get all your family involved!  How cool.  

As for me, I guess I'm just having one of those weeks.  Over the jet lag, over the stomach flu, but still dead, energy wise.  Next week I do get an iron infusion, which I hope will help the situation.  I was needing one before leaving for CA in September, but didn't have time to get one before leaving.  So I've been scraping the bottom of the barrel of iron for a while now.  I missed a day of yoga, but have otherwise been doing about 20 minutes a day with Adrienne's videos, and I am sore from it, so even though it feels like "nothing," it's clearly doing me good.  

• Like 3

Just walking at the moment, as I'm away from home. Walked for five or six miles round the grounds of Castle Howard (where Brideshead was filmed back in the 80s). That's about Husband's distance limit - he's more of a swimmer. It was a misty, drizzly day, so this is the best picture I managed.

IMG_20191024_130246581.jpg

• Like 5

Morning Meltdown- Revibe done this morning, might do Core later, although I scheduled it for next week. I rewrote the schedule (again) since I already do my own lifting and want to do things around my schedule.  

Revibe starts with a slow flow and then is a lot of stretching, felt good this morning.

I hope to get a walk today but it will probably be a short one because I have a fair amount to do today. Tomorrow we are running the Challenge Course, these are random pics but gives an idea. I'll be working the perch again, dh gave a double unit of blood Monday and is still not all that spunky. He is not sure if he can climb the ladder to get up there, it is a very narrow metal ladder, you have to climb sideways, it is used to winnow down people, can't make the ladder can't do the course. So, I get to go through the course to get to the perch, so that is fun 🙂 then I help the kids rappel down. We also do a lower course which has different team building activities on the ground and is a lot of fun too. We leave at 7 am and get home at 8pm, a long day in the woods, weather is not looking that great, hopefully the rain at least holds off, we'll see. Today after I get everything else done I've got to review my challenge course materials.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

As for me, I guess I'm just having one of those weeks.  Over the jet lag, over the stomach flu, but still dead, energy wise.  Next week I do get an iron infusion, which I hope will help the situation.  I was needing one before leaving for CA in September, but didn't have time to get one before leaving.  So I've been scraping the bottom of the barrel of iron for a while now.  I missed a day of yoga, but have otherwise been doing about 20 minutes a day with Adrienne's videos, and I am sore from it, so even though it feels like "nothing," it's clearly doing me good.  

Girl, no wonder you feel bad, jet lag + stomach flu+ low iron. Holy cow!!!! I say you need the rest. I've never had to do an iron infusion although when I was first diagnosed my iron was super low. I feel better when I supplement, I noticed I was getting a little draggy and then really draggy on my period so I went from just doing iron during my period back to all the time and have felt a difference, I take biglyscinate and it does well with minimal side effects.

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Just walking at the moment, as I'm away from home. Walked for five or six miles round the grounds of Castle Howard (where Brideshead was filmed back in the 80s). That's about Husband's distance limit - he's more of a swimmer. It was a misty, drizzly day, so this is the best picture I managed.

Sounds like a good day, even if the weather didn't cooperate.

• Like 4

I got in my walk yesterday and it didn't rain. I was busy working on the computer all day otherwise. Hopefully today I'll have time to go for a bike ride and walk. And dh and I are playing tennis tonight with our group of guy. That will be awesome! There's indoor tennis for 2 hours tomorrow, too! 

Eating and weight are amazing. I'm consistently below 130 lbs, and feeling energetic and pain-free. 

I got the flu shot a couple days ago, with no ill effects. Hopefully I'll be flu--free this winter. There are a lot of weird flu-like illnesses going around these days.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

I got in my walk yesterday and it didn't rain. I was busy working on the computer all day otherwise. Hopefully today I'll have time to go for a bike ride and walk. And dh and I are playing tennis tonight with our group of guy. That will be awesome! There's indoor tennis for 2 hours tomorrow, too! 

Eating and weight are amazing. I'm consistently below 130 lbs, and feeling energetic and pain-free. 

I got the flu shot a couple days ago, with no ill effects. Hopefully I'll be flu--free this winter. There are a lot of weird flu-like illnesses going around these days.

I'm so glad you are feeling well, that is wodnerful.

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I haven’t been updating but I did get in walking the past few days. Yesterday was homecoming on our campus so I got in close to 7000 steps just walking around the campus. Also tried to ride the mechanical bull 😂 We never made it to the fair this year but I got Ds his funnel cake from a food truck and we shared that. Weight wise I haven’t gone down but I haven’t gone up, either so I think I just need to get stricter which will hopefully happen after Halloween. I’ve got to focus a bit on that (costumes and a party I’m helping throw Monday). 

LOL, I've never tried to ride a mechanical bull, what fun! Maintenance is good too!

My morning was great, started out with my stretching workout, taught, then got lots done around the house. AFter I made it back home I immediately did a 1 mile walk, although I didn't want to when I made it in the munchies hit and I have been doing some stress eating, for sure. I've ate good food, just too much. I'm nervous about the challenge course, there is just so much too it and we've only ran it once before, a year ago. We;ll have lead instructors but I'd like to not look like an idiot. I'll have made it through in less than 24 hrs, with another go for experience so the next time I'll be a little more wiser and maybe eventually I'll feel like I know what I'm doing. WE're getting ready to head for an early bedtime as it will be a long tiring day, not improved by the 100% chance of rain and lack of sun. On the high course I can't wear gloves either, can't tie knots with them.

• Like 2

@soror All the best with the challenge course. Sounds exciting!

Tennis this evening was wonderful, though it was really cold. My ball tossing hand was so cold I couldn't control my toss on the serve. It was also dark, so timing was off trying to hit some of the fast balls. It was still lots of fun getting out and hitting tennis balls around.

Sadly, my favourite potato chips are off my eating list now. I had part of a bag on the way to tennis and got a sore belly. It did go away, but on the way home from tennis I ate some more and got another sore belly.  This is actually a very good way to be motivated to not eat chips. 😉  There shouldn't be many cravings, either, since I don't want to feel this way again. Fortunately, I've found lots and lots of great food that makes me feel really good. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

@soror All the best with the challenge course. Sounds exciting!

Tennis this evening was wonderful, though it was really cold. My ball tossing hand was so cold I couldn't control my toss on the serve. It was also dark, so timing was off trying to hit some of the fast balls. It was still lots of fun getting out and hitting tennis balls around.

Sadly, my favourite potato chips are off my eating list now. I had part of a bag on the way to tennis and got a sore belly. It did go away, but on the way home from tennis I ate some more and got another sore belly.  This is actually a very good way to be motivated to not eat chips. 😉  There shouldn't be many cravings, either, since I don't want to feel this way again. Fortunately, I've found lots and lots of great food that makes me feel really good. 

Ya for some fun tennis, I hate it when my hands are cold too, makes it hard to do anything.

That is good and bad about the chips 😞

I woke up at 4:15, I didn't have to get up until 6, laid in bed for an hr and gave up. It is coming down pretty hard, I don't foresee us doing the high course in these conditions, we'll see how it goes. I was hoping we'd just have a light rain, this is going to make it feel even colder too.

Laying there I was annoyed with myself for stress eating last night. I dropped a bit of weight from weekends of crazyness but am still up a bit, I had hoped to get back down a bit more. But I think I may let it ride. My original goal was to maintain under 125, I got down to 120 because it just kind of clicked but right now I'm working hard on trying to put on muscle and it is generally the hardest season for me to lose weight anyway. So, I've decided to just aim to keep maintaining 125 or below and be happy with that, I'll reevaluate if I want to try to get down lower after the new year.

And it is time to get at it, pray for better weather!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soror said:

I woke up at 4:15, I didn't have to get up until 6, laid in bed for an hr and gave up. It is coming down pretty hard, I don't foresee us doing the high course in these conditions, we'll see how it goes. I was hoping we'd just have a light rain, this is going to make it feel even colder too.

Laying there I was annoyed with myself for stress eating last night. I dropped a bit of weight from weekends of crazyness but am still up a bit, I had hoped to get back down a bit more. But I think I may let it ride. My original goal was to maintain under 125, I got down to 120 because it just kind of clicked but right now I'm working hard on trying to put on muscle and it is generally the hardest season for me to lose weight anyway. So, I've decided to just aim to keep maintaining 125 or below and be happy with that, I'll reevaluate if I want to try to get down lower after the new year.

And it is time to get at it, pray for better weather!!!

Hope the rain stops and beaming sun comes out to dry up all the ropes for you!

I think you're right on target for having a realistic goal weight range. Maybe just focus on the first two digits on the scale (12_). I'm pretty sure that between inaccurate measurement tools, water retention, and the process of body (re)composition, it's unrealistic and psychologically depressing to focus too much on single pounds on a daily basis. You could also measure once a week or once a month and record any overall trends. Just write it down and forget about it until next week/month. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I think you're right on target for having a realistic goal weight range. Maybe just focus on the first two digits on the scale (12_). I'm pretty sure that between inaccurate measurement tools, water retention, and the process of body (re)composition, it's unrealistic and psychologically depressing to focus too much on single pounds on a daily basis. You could also measure once a week or once a month and record any overall trends. Just write it down and forget about it until next week/month. 

I go the other way and weigh myself every morning.  That's when you really see that a pound up or down is not real.  Right now I'm fluctuating between 131 and 133.  I'm calling my weight 132 no matter what.  I don't get excited  (or worried) unless I see a brand new number.  You remember a while ago I said I saw a new one - that was 131, which now I'm seeing all the time.   A new number will shift the middle.  But I can be up or down a pound or two from one day to the next.  Who knows why.  It's not real.  I find the daily thing more useful than a weekly because I wouldn't know where that snapshot fell in the range - I might get excited or depressed when it was just part of the daily fluctuation.

I do have a body fat percentage scale, and that doesn't seem to correlate at all to the daily weight wobble.  That wobbles too, but not in any kind of correlation to the pound number.  So I have no idea.  Not obsessing about that either.  I feel like my fat percentage should have come down way more with all the weight I lost, and the fact that I'm if anything stronger than I was before with all this lifting, but it's just barely decent for an average-weight woman in her mid 50's.  I'm not worrying about it too much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

I go the other way and weigh myself every morning.  That's when you really see that a pound up or down is not real.  Right now I'm fluctuating between 131 and 133.  I'm calling my weight 132 no matter what.  I don't get excited  (or worried) unless I see a brand new number.  You remember a while ago I said I saw a new one - that was 131, which now I'm seeing all the time.   A new number will shift the middle.  But I can be up or down a pound or two from one day to the next.  Who knows why.  It's not real.  I find the daily thing more useful than a weekly because I wouldn't know where that snapshot fell in the range - I might get excited or depressed when it was just part of the daily fluctuation.

I do have a body fat percentage scale, and that doesn't seem to correlate at all to the daily weight wobble.  That wobbles too, but not in any kind of correlation to the pound number.  So I have no idea.  Not obsessing about that either.  I feel like my fat percentage should have come down way more with all the weight I lost, and the fact that I'm if anything stronger than I was before with all this lifting, but it's just barely decent for an average-weight woman in her mid 50's.  I'm not worrying about it too much. 

That's definitely another way to go. That's what I do now, because I don't see much fluctuation. But when I was seeing 5 lb changes in a day it drove me nuts. I think now that this was simply an indication that I was inflamed from what I was eating and retaining water. So looking back now it could have been a good indicator that something weird was happening. I just didn't make the link.

What is a body fat percentage scale and how does it work? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wintermom said:

That's definitely another way to go. That's what I do now, because I don't see much fluctuation. But when I was seeing 5 lb changes in a day it drove me nuts. I think now that this was simply an indication that I was inflamed from what I was eating and retaining water. So looking back now it could have been a good indicator that something weird was happening. I just didn't make the link.

It has metal things where your feet go, and I think it sends an electrical signal through your body to determine resistance/approximate fat percentage (since fat and muscle have different densities).  This is pretty much how the handheld things work when you go to a place that does it.  Supposedly this works well, but I think I'd prefer the caliper method!  I am suspicious that the electrical method dings me for having big boobs.  Or at least I console myself with that excuse. 😂

I have a Tanita scale, I think they are one of the most common manufacturers of body composition scales.  Looking for that link I just embedded, I see their newer models include body water percentage analysis as well.  Mine is old and doesn't do that.  Mine was also probably one of the cheapest models they sell, lol.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

My weight is generally stable these days too, which is nice. But going camping eating schedule all different and disgestive getting all out of sorts. Day to day my biggest fluctuation is usually from soreness from working out. 

We had pouring rain ALL day today, not the best day but not the worst. We had fun but our fingers were pickled when we finished. We could not do the high course because there was not a course director there, we're not sure what went wrong there but really it would have been very rough to do I don't know how well the kids could have donewith cold hands climbing metal ladders and working caribiners. Not to mention how slick the logs would have been.

Hoping for a great night sleep tonight and do some lifting tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, soror said:

My weight is generally stable these days too, which is nice. But going camping eating schedule all different and disgestive getting all out of sorts. Day to day my biggest fluctuation is usually from soreness from working out. 

We had pouring rain ALL day today, not the best day but not the worst. We had fun but our fingers were pickled when we finished. We could not do the high course because there was not a course director there, we're not sure what went wrong there but really it would have been very rough to do I don't know how well the kids could have donewith cold hands climbing metal ladders and working caribiners. Not to mention how slick the logs would have been.

Hoping for a great night sleep tonight and do some lifting tomorrow.

Congratulations on a terrific event! You are amazing to make it through with those kinds of conditions. Kudos! Hope you sleep really went.

Talk about digestive junk, I made the mistake of having one of dh's sports drink today after my first tennis match and it made my stomach so sore. It was a different flavour than the last drink I had without any problems.  It really sucks when there are ingredients not listed on products. I'm sure there must have been some gluten in the drink. Otherwise I had a reaction to something else. 

Dh and I played our indoor tennis league match this evening and it was the best tennis I've played in my life. Sadly, my ladies partner and I lost in a long tie-break, but we had a great time playing. I tried to stay in a cold bath to cool down my sore legs, but I didn't last long. Even the short time in there helped, though. It's mentally too hard for me today after freezing playing tennis last night. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

Congratulations on a terrific event! You are amazing to make it through with those kinds of conditions. Kudos! Hope you sleep really went.

Talk about digestive junk, I made the mistake of having one of dh's sports drink today after my first tennis match and it made my stomach so sore. It was a different flavour than the last drink I had without any problems.  It really sucks when there are ingredients not listed on products. I'm sure there must have been some gluten in the drink. Otherwise I had a reaction to something else. 

Dh and I played our indoor tennis league match this evening and it was the best tennis I've played in my life. Sadly, my ladies partner and I lost in a long tie-break, but we had a great time playing. I tried to stay in a cold bath to cool down my sore legs, but I didn't last long. Even the short time in there helped, though. It's mentally too hard for me today after freezing playing tennis last night. 

We all said we should get some kind of recognition for carrying on and the boys didn't whine all that much. When you camp you get frost points, should be something for consecutive hrs in the pouring rain. My goretex eccos did a great job keeping my feet dry until water came in from the top, then I had a puddle in my shoe like everyone else. Gators would have been very useful. My rain jacket, gave up the fight too. I did wear all moisture wicking clothing which kept me from feeling so wet but in the end was soaked through even my bra and panties.I didn't expect it to rain so hard, none of us did, we really needed water resistant clothing all over.

I'm sorry you are having digestive issues, you know once you are off of gluten a good while your guts can heal some of that should alleviate, unfortunately the smallest amount can cause damage. No way I'd been up to an ice bath either, unless it was after a really got day, I'm not tough!

So, I've been having some trouble sleeping, I thought maybe it was some stress but it seems more than that. My resting heart rate is also up. It occurred to me that perhaps it is related to the Flonase as it all started about the same time, as did having more energy. hmmm.... Insomnia and anxiety are not listed as official side effects but evidently many patients report that as an issue.I'm horribly susceptible to things putting me to sleep and keeping me awake, so I'm going to cut it for awhile and just try nasal rinses and see how it goes.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, soror said:

We all said we should get some kind of recognition for carrying on and the boys didn't whine all that much. When you camp you get frost points, should be something for consecutive hrs in the pouring rain. My goretex eccos did a great job keeping my feet dry until water came in from the top, then I had a puddle in my shoe like everyone else. Gators would have been very useful. My rain jacket, gave up the fight too. I did wear all moisture wicking clothing which kept me from feeling so wet but in the end was soaked through even my bra and panties.I didn't expect it to rain so hard, none of us did, we really needed water resistant clothing all over.

I'm sorry you are having digestive issues, you know once you are off of gluten a good while your guts can heal some of that should alleviate, unfortunately the smallest amount can cause damage. No way I'd been up to an ice bath either, unless it was after a really got day, I'm not tough!

So, I've been having some trouble sleeping, I thought maybe it was some stress but it seems more than that. My resting heart rate is also up. It occurred to me that perhaps it is related to the Flonase as it all started about the same time, as did having more energy. hmmm.... Insomnia and anxiety are not listed as official side effects but evidently many patients report that as an issue.I'm horribly susceptible to things putting me to sleep and keeping me awake, so I'm going to cut it for awhile and just try nasal rinses and see how it goes.

I learned about Gators when hiking in Norway. They are magical! Easy to forget, though. 😉  You are awesome to survive the day.  I've felt that "wet right down to the bra" thing when biking in a sudden downpour. You need a shower immediately, but your mind questions fixing wet with more wet. 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I learned about Gators when hiking in Norway. They are magical! Easy to forget, though. 😉  You are awesome to survive the day.  I've felt that "wet right down to the bra" thing when biking in a sudden downpour. You need a shower immediately, but your mind questions fixing wet with more wet. 😂

LOL! Yes!

Morning Meltdown Yoga this am- 20 min; Lifting at the Gym- Ultimate Pullup Program

And I did sets of 10 hip thrust for 125#, new PR, felt strong today!

Feeling pretty lazy otherwise, took a power nap.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, wintermom said:

Hope the rain stops and beaming sun comes out to dry up all the ropes for you!

I think in kilos.  So long as I see 58.x then I'm okay.  57.x is fine too.  I've been hitting 59.x consistently recently, so I'm going to work on that a bit: more green veg and lean protein (tofu, low fat plain yoghurt); fewer beans and grains.  As a kilo is only 2.2 pounds, I'm hoping that a bit of adjustment for a bit should work fine.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:39 PM, Matryoshka said:

I weigh myself every morning too, and Fitbit produces the weekly average.  Watching the weekly average go up is what has caused me to make some changes.  My body fat percentage scale doesn't seem to tell me much - maybe if I did more intensive muscle building it would.

I'm back from my trip away.  Food wasn't great - the range of available healthy food wasn't brilliant.  On the Friday it poured with rain the whole day, but we managed a five mile walk. On Saturday we went to York Minster and then I drove home, with just a quick walk during the trip to give the dog a break.  Today just a three mile walk;  one of my feet is a bit sore - I suspect I may have twisted it in the mud on Friday.  I hope for lots of walking over the next few days - Husband is away, so I'll have the dog with me in the car at work, so lots of walks during breaks.  I failed to book for yoga, but I'll try to get into the class on Monday anyway, and otherwise do some yoga with Adriene.

I've made batches of marinated oven-roasted tofu, cream of mushroom soup with silken tofu, ratatouille, and roasted brussels sprouts, so I'll be eating combinations of those for my weekday lunches.  Today's lunch was fun though: a smoothie of oat milk, silken tofu, frozen blueberries and spinach.  

• Like 3

Zero exercise today. I've been either playing taxi to the family or stuck on the computer working on a scholarship application that would facilitate me continuing with my graduate degree. It's a multi-faceted, labour intensive process. The amount would be $5000, though, which would be really nice. Hope I get it after all this effort! 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

Zero exercise today. I've been either playing taxi to the family or stuck on the computer working on a scholarship application that would facilitate me continuing with my graduate degree. It's a multi-faceted, labour intensive process. The amount would be $5000, though, which would be really nice. Hope I get it after all this effort! 🙂

Good luck!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I think in kilos.  So long as I see 58.x then I'm okay.  57.x is fine too.  I've been hitting 59.x consistently recently, so I'm going to work on that a bit: more green veg and lean protein (tofu, low fat plain yoghurt); fewer beans and grains.  As a kilo is only 2.2 pounds, I'm hoping that a bit of adjustment for a bit should work fine.

I weigh myself every morning too, and Fitbit produces the weekly average.  Watching the weekly average go up is what has caused me to make some changes.  My body fat percentage scale doesn't seem to tell me much - maybe if I did more intensive muscle building it would.

I'm back from my trip away.  Food wasn't great - the range of available healthy food wasn't brilliant.  On the Friday it poured with rain the whole day, but we managed a five mile walk. On Saturday we went to York Minster and then I drove home, with just a quick walk during the trip to give the dog a break.  Today just a three mile walk;  one of my feet is a bit sore - I suspect I may have twisted it in the mud on Friday.  I hope for lots of walking over the next few days - Husband is away, so I'll have the dog with me in the car at work, so lots of walks during breaks.  I failed to book for yoga, but I'll try to get into the class on Monday anyway, and otherwise do some yoga with Adriene.

I've made batches of marinated oven-roasted tofu, cream of mushroom soup with silken tofu, ratatouille, and roasted brussels sprouts, so I'll be eating combinations of those for my weekday lunches.  Today's lunch was fun though: a smoothie of oat milk, silken tofu, frozen blueberries and spinach.  

I often weigh daily too, makes it less stressful, for awhile I didn't weigh at all but after having so many things throw me off I'm trying to get back in a solid groove again. You've had a lot going on too, stress and a lot of travel, that makes it ard. Hope you can get into yoga but Adrienne is always wonderful.  I need to put ratatoille on my menu!!

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

Good luck! When do you find out if you get it??

2.25 mile yesterday afternoon, I really wanted to lay around but made myself get up and am glad I did, the weather was perfect (of course!). We did half on the road and half tromping through the woods, found lots of briars but no ticks. I finished the day w/ 12k steps.

woke up early so went ahead and did workout-

Fight Club- 30ish minutes- mix of different martial arts moves, cardio, core, balance, and coordination work

No more exercise planned for today, except walking, aiming for 10k steps

food- steelcut oats, banana, pb, 1T chocolate chips or high protein pumpkin pancakes

lentils mujadara (made last night- yum!)

dinner- bunless burger- might try the plant based burger I got in the frig, baked potato (sweet or white not sure), salad

Also, hoping for a nap. I woke up in the nights with cramps (period is coming) and then dh's alarm woke me an hour early, fitbit says I got 6.5 hrs of sleep.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

"Monday, Monday. Can't trust that day." (The Mamas and the Papas)  Crazy day for me. Trip to the ER on the bus on the way to work due to chest pain. Sent home to go see my GP to check my gall bladder for possible stone. Found a tick on my neck on the car ride home. Got a dose of doxycycline in case of Lyme. 

I did actually get in some exercise in between medical visits weirdly enough. Walked to the far-away bus stop, walked home from the "too-long-to-wait" Urgent care walk-in clinic, then biked to the pharmacy for my antibiotics. I want to go to sleep and wake up remembering this as a dream. 😉

• Sad 3

"Monday, Monday. Can't trust that day." (The Mamas and the Papas)  Crazy day for me. Trip to the ER on the bus on the way to work due to chest pain. Sent home to go see my GP to check my gall bladder for possible stone. Found a tick on my neck on the car ride home. Got a dose of doxycycline in case of Lyme. 

I did actually get in some exercise in between medical visits weirdly enough. Walked to the far-away bus stop, walked home from the "too-long-to-wait" Urgent care walk-in clinic, then biked to the pharmacy for my antibiotics. I want to go to sleep and wake up remembering this as a dream. 😉

I'm so sorry for the troubles 😞 That sounds a terrible, horrible day. I know when dh had gallstones he thought he was going to die and then the tick on top of that, ugh.

------------------------------------------------------

I finished yesterday with 10k steps.

Started today with HIIT- 20 min, tonight is lifting. I need to look ahead and see what the next phase is, another week or two and I'll be ready to move on. My right shoulder and elbow feel a little funny today though, I'm not sure why, I'll be keeping an eye on it tonight.

Still waiting on my cycle, I don't have horrible PMS but it is still annoying.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, that sounds rotten.

-----------------------------------

Husband is in London for a couple of days, so the dog is with me in the car at work.  Yesterday that worked really well: we walked before work and at lunchtime; I came home and did an Adriene strength yoga workout - I think I'm going to work my way through her strength offerings, as that's more of an issue to me than flexibility. 

Then last night I woke up with a nightmare and then overslept this morning.  I managed to get to work in 3/4 of an hour from that moment, walk the dog for fifteen minutes, then walk half an hour to the doctor about my back (just wear and tear - no spinal damage - just keep moving) then walk back to work.  So by 10am I have managed 10,000 steps and I'm a bit tired and discombobulated.  Luckily my boss has a lot of meetings today, so I should be able to put on some music and just get some stuff done.  The dog and I will walk for a couple of miles at lunchtime, then I'll try for some more yoga at home after work before picking Husband up at the train station.

• Like 2

Welp, this power outage has turned into carb-fest 2019. Not a whole lot of shelf stable foods that don't have carbs. And I'm just indulging because I'm bored and annoyed. 

No working out because the air quality is garbage. So pretty much just sitting around eating chips and cookies, lol. 

And my period came a week early. 

Edited by sassenach
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

Welp, this power outage has turned into carb-fest 2019. Not a whole lot of shelf stable foods that don't have carbs. And I'm just indulging because I'm bored and annoyed. 

No working out because the air quality is garbage. So pretty much just sitting around eating chips and cookies, lol. 

Sorry you are going through all this. Enjoy the endorphins that kick in with the cookies! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had a head-ache and sore neck all day, but otherwise feel pretty good. A friend asked to play some singles tennis/rallying, as it's beautiful outside and she's coming off an injury. It was really fun. I also got in a little bike ride back from tennis. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wintermom said:

Sorry you are going through all this. Enjoy the endorphins that kick in with the cookies! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had a head-ache and sore neck all day, but otherwise feel pretty good. A friend asked to play some singles tennis/rallying, as it's beautiful outside and she's coming off an injury. It was really fun. I also got in a little bike ride back from tennis. 

I hope the headache and soreness are gone soon. Ya for tennis and biking!

19 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'm so sorry, when is power is supposed to be back on?

Lifting was pretty good last night. I skipped 1 move because my shoulder is just slightly sore, if it wasn't for my previous injury I would have ignored it but I know how this goes.

Today is recovery day, will do stretching workout from Morning Meltdown.

Sleeping was better but I'm still behind. I'll be glad for my period to come but good thing it hasn't b/c I have my first pap in years scheduled this afternoon. I've got to arrive an hr early for paperwork, will be a slow day I think.

My digestion and eating are still not back to normal, I will be more intentional with my planning and more strict than usual for a reset.

Edited by soror

5 hours ago, soror said:

Lifting was pretty good last night. I skipped 1 move because my shoulder is just slightly sore, if it wasn't for my previous injury I would have ignored it but I know how this goes.

Today is recovery day, will do stretching workout from Morning Meltdown.

Sleeping was better but I'm still behind. I'll be glad for my period to come but good thing it hasn't b/c I have my first pap in years scheduled this afternoon. I've got to arrive an hr early for paperwork, will be a slow day I think.

My digestion and eating are still not back to normal, I will be more intentional with my planning and more strict than usual for a reset.

Hope you get your sleep and tummy stuff all smoothed out, and good luck with your pap. At least they are usually not as painful as mammograms.

Well done with your stretching! I have to do more of this.

• Like 2

Air quality is much better today and  everything is opening back up after the outage! Went to the Y this morning and did a pilates class. That felt nice. Tomorrow is Piloxing and Friday will be elliptical plus yoga. I'm very happy to be moving again. 

I've said goodbye to the carbs and am back to my normal eating. I didn't weigh myself today so I guess I'll see what the damage is tomorrow. 

The stores are still chaos so I'm eating out of what little fruits and veggies we have on hand. Hoping to get into he store tomorrow. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

Air quality is much better today and  everything is opening back up after the outage! Went to the Y this morning and did a pilates class. That felt nice. Tomorrow is Piloxing and Friday will be elliptical plus yoga. I'm very happy to be moving again. 

I've said goodbye to the carbs and am back to my normal eating. I didn't weigh myself today so I guess I'll see what the damage is tomorrow. 

The stores are still chaos so I'm eating out of what little fruits and veggies we have on hand. Hoping to get into he store tomorrow. 

Ya, for getting out and getting exercise, and better air quality.

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hope you get your sleep and tummy stuff all smoothed out, and good luck with your pap. At least they are usually not as painful as mammograms.

Well done with your stretching! I have to do more of this.

Pap done, not too horrible, now I get a mammogram next week. Of course the NP said it wouldn't hurt at all, I've heard several people say otherwise though, we'll see.

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I got in a nice little bike ride and short walk today. It wasn't raining too hard, and it's still pretty warm. 

Ya for a bike ride, it is raining here too.

I did my stretching as soon as I got home, it felt good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soror said:

Ya, for getting out and getting exercise, and better air quality.

I'm glad to hear the air quality is improving!  

Pap done, not too horrible, now I get a mammogram next week. Of course the NP said it wouldn't hurt at all, I've heard several people say otherwise though, we'll see.

I also just had my exam. I was shocked not to have a pap - apparently they only recommend them every few years now. Is this your first mammogram? I think whether it hurts depends a lot on your breast tissue - I think firm and perky hurts more than old and saggy. I'm in the latter category, so I haven't found them so bad...

• Like 2

Tomorrow is the last day of Hell Week at OT. Each workout is given the name of a horror movie - Misery was pretty miserable,  lol. Today I did my 5th class and earned my free t-shirt - yay.  I'm signed up for tomorrow; not sure if I'll go, but if I do I'm a-gonna wear my new,shirt, and they are handing out free adult beverages after class. ...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

so just had my exam. I was shocked not to have a pap - apparently they only recommend them every few years now. Is this your first mammogram? I think whether it hurts depends a lot on your breast tissue - I think firm and perky hurts more than old and saggy. I'm in the latter category, so I haven't found them so bad...

Yes, this is my first mammo, well, certainly not as perky as I once was but not to 80yr old saggy yet, guess we'll see!!!

10 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Tomorrow is the last day of Hell Week at OT. Each workout is given the name of a horror movie - Misery was pretty miserable,  lol. Today I did my 5th class and earned my free t-shirt - yay.  I'm signed up for tomorrow; not sure if I'll go, but if I do I'm a-gonna wear my new,shirt, and they are handing out free adult beverages after class. ...

Congrats on the hard work!!!

I got 7.5 hrs of sleep (ya) and started my period (ya)

Today's exercise plan is a hiit/cardio-30 min and ultimate pull-up program

I think I'll do my lifting at home too, no TKD because of halloween so it saves me time and hassle, I can do all at home except 1 move, which I'll just modify. My shoulder is still cranky anyway so I'm not going to be pushing it too hard.

eta- Also, got my menu planned and made a homemade treat for myself.

Today will probably be gf steel cut oats again(plain) w/ blueberries, raspberries, greek yogurt, and pecans + 1 tsp of maple syrup w/ green tea

lunch- gf spinach wrap w/ chicken some fresh veggies and homemade "fudge" 

dinner- sloppy joes plus (lentils added to the meat) on top of half a gluten free bagel and baked sweet potato fries

hot cocoa  or tea for the road for trick or treating

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Ok, I did not work out once this month. I had the flu for 2 months and just came out about a week ago. I've been dedicating my workout time to housework because gee golly did my house have the flu, too. I will see you in the next thread!

Sorry to hear that.  See you next month...

------------------

A rest day.  Took the morning slowly instead of rushing out to take an early morning walk.  Did a longer mindfulness session after I got to work - I have put a blanket in the car to keep me warm while I meditate in the car park.  At lunchtime just ran some errands on foot, for 5,500 steps in total.  After work went to see my mother.  

I have a yoga class set up for tomorrow and hope to Nordic Walk on Saturday.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Ok, I did not work out once this month. I had the flu for 2 months and just came out about a week ago. I've been dedicating my workout time to housework because gee golly did my house have the flu, too. I will see you in the next thread!

I'm so sorry, cleaning house is a great way to ease back into activity and it gets things caught up.Hopefully November is much better for you. I had the flu but wasn't knocked out so long.

49 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Sorry to hear that.  See you next month...

------------------

A rest day.  Took the morning slowly instead of rushing out to take an early morning walk.  Did a longer mindfulness session after I got to work - I have put a blanket in the car to keep me warm while I meditate in the car park.  At lunchtime just ran some errands on foot, for 5,500 steps in total.  After work went to see my mother.  

I have a yoga class set up for tomorrow and hope to Nordic Walk on Saturday.  

That sounds like a wonderful rest day, good for you. 

I did my Cardio workout and my lifting. I started to do one of my Morning Meltdown workout, thought it was cardio but had a bunch of weights in it, so I scratched it and did another one. So, I'll be redoing my schedule, that works out better anyway, because I have 3 workouts a week I do and am replacing 3 of their workouts.

• Like 3