Menu

best e-reader for international use?

JennyD

We are going to be spending seven months outside of the US and while I much prefer paper books, I think e-readers are going to be our best bet for English-language reading material while we are away.  Any particular recommendations?  

We should be able to borrow e-books from our home library through Overdrive, and an organization where we will be living also has a large English-language e-book library that we can access.  My understanding is that it is not always possible to buy e-books through Amazon while outside the US, though -- does anyone know anything about this?

2 hours ago, JennyD said:

My understanding is that it is not always possible to buy e-books through Amazon while outside the US, though -- does anyone know anything about this?

My DS13 likes his kindle oasis. It’s not a problem buying ebooks from Amazon if you have a US address and US credit card tied to the Amazon account. My BIL and SIL have problems buying ebooks but their residential address  on the account used for their kindle has never been US based and they are paying for Amazon purchases with a non-US credit card. 

By the way, how do I undo follow? I click on Follow accidentally.

• Like 1

I use Kindle, with apps on various devices, plus a dedicated Kindle reader.  If you have a US address and credit card attached to your Amazon account, which I assume you do if you’re living in the US now, you’ll be able to buy or check out ebooks anywhere in the world.  I’ve been doing that for 14 years now in many different countries, from Uzbekistan to Saudi Arabia to Mexico.

Dh once changed my account to be Saudi-based when we were living there and I couldn’t get much of anything for an hour while I changed it back. He won’t do that again. 🙂  

Edited by Amira