Menu

Using same ISP/internet server for letter of recommendation?

easypeasy

OK, bear with me. lol DD has requested a LoR from a specific person who knows her very well academically. DD will be a music major and her other LoRs will be from music-specific people, so we thought a non-music person was important considering that dd is applying to honors programs, etc.

This lady is an amazing writer who we know will write an outstanding letter. However, DD is NOT using the Common App, which means there will be about 8 various emailed links to "Sandy" with 8 different types of requirements/requests from the universities/conservatories.

Sandy has requested that she bring her computer to our house, sit down and let dd help her walk through all of the steps of sending the letter in with each university.

Sandy could snail-mail letters, but DD strongly prefers that she email/use the portal to send the letters so that it will automatically show on dds application (vs. waiting for snail mail and for someone at their desk to upload the letter by hand...). Considering the hiccups we had with DD1s applications, I would also prefer to snail-mail as little as possible.

Will this cause any problems? With both the application and the primary LoR appearing to come from the same "internet home?" (or does our home internet even work that way anymore? ๐Ÿคฃ I don't even know for sure!!)

I'm sure I'm overthinking it, but DD already checked the box that says she doesn't need to read the LoRs... but she will be reading this one. lol

Well, my kid coincidentally was applying as a music major last year and we did something similar and it didn't seem to cause issues.ย  One thing you could consider doing is meeting her at a coffee shop if you really were worried.

Most of my kid's references sent him a courtesy copy of his letter too even though he said he didn't need to be able to read them.ย  I think that's a little silly (ETA that check box is silly IMO!).ย ย 

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, regentrude said:

College admissions people are busy. Nobody is going to check from what IP address the email came (the people handling the letters probably wouldn't even know how to do that).

Glad to see you stopping in, Regentrude. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

College admissions people are busy. Nobody is going to check from what IP address the email came (the people handling the letters probably wouldn't even know how to do that).

ย 

Thatโ€™s what I thought, logically. But then... logic flew out the window ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„