Menu

What's with the ads?

Margaret in CO

Laughing at my new Garmin

The kids got me a new Garmin for Christmas, early, as my 3yo FitBit it about to die. Today it says I climbed 14 flights of stairs (did way more than that as the printer kept messing up whilst making cards). And it says I went DOWN 24 flights of stairs! Have I dug a hole? Do I live underground????

It also says I had many restful moments at 4:00 am! I hope so--I was asleep!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Perhaps you flew up the extra 10 flights of stairs and then walked down? 😂 😂

• Haha 2

My dd, the helicopter pilot, had one of the first trackers, and it counted taking off and landing as flights of stairs! Hello--don't think she was doing 5000+ flights of stairs a day! A new Scout dad also flies helos, and they've fixed the stairs thing, but if you rest your hand on the frame as you fly, the tracker picks it up, If he doesn't remember to turn it off, it says he's run 300+ miles a day. 

• Haha 4

Hey Margaret, I was going to start a thread to ask you, but since you’re here...

With walking 10 miles a day, other than having the proper shoes, are you doing any special kind of stretching for your feet? Your ankles and calves? Any other special treatment like soaking or icing?

As my distances get longer (5-6 miles now), my feet are feeling ok but I do get some soreness and I want to be preventative about injury. I’d love to hear what you do, with the kind of high mileage you are achieving on a regular basis. 

And the garmin - that is hilarious! I didn’t even think about what happens when one flies. 

• Thanks 1

Today I've gone up 10 flights and DOWN 21! I think my Garmin is nuts! I did all my walking on the flat. It also says I have had no REM sleep for the last two nights. Since I've woken up twice with weird dreams, I know that's not true. 

I usually have a mile or so running around the house, sometimes more depending on housework, so I feel warmed up before I go. It has a made a big difference to have two pairs of shoes and trade them off. I can tell mine are worn out right now, as my right hip hurts. I've overdone it on the hill thing this last week, and I'm paying for it. I try to head to the mail box, etc. before I hit the trails. 

I do soak in the evening--bath time!

I almost gave myself a blister yesterday. Stupid Darn Tough socks--I know better to wear them under another pair. The way they turn their heels and toes is strange. Went back to Farm to Feet socks today, along with running shoes instead of hiking boots and it's okay. I have to wear hiking boots if I'm in the rocks though, as the rocks eat shoes!

• Like 2

Re: Walking/hiking and footwear, plus socks. @Margaret in CO Love your details about socks, shoes and baths!  I hike pretty decent distances, as well as play tennis for 2 - 3 hours a few times a week. Totally agree that rotating shoes can be key in keeping them from wearing out as quickly.  For me, once I find a style of shoe that works well for my foot, I buy several pairs (on sale if possible!). 

Also, walking surface can play a big role on how one's body feels and how a shoe wears. When I play tennis on a hard court (asphalt with coating) vs clay court surface, my shoes wear a lot faster and my body hurts a lot more. Same thing with walking or hiking or running. 

Dd and her dh were moaning the other day about being sore--they'd both been on asphalt all day. I try to limit my time on asphalt to 4 miles a day--getting to and from the trails from the library. When I can't go north because of storms, and I have to make the 3 loops around the college (so I can duck into a building if necessary), I feel it the next day!

I need to get another 2 pairs of Kayano 25. Unfortunately, the next time I will have to go with 26. I don't do change well... 

This thread is funny but also shows the flaws in fitness trackers. I wonder how a good old fashioned pedometer would compare to today's trackers.

I don't have a fitness watch but I use the Google Fit app on my smart watch. When I set it for fitness walking it has a glitch that keeps resetting the distance, and always to the same number - .04 miles. Everything else stays the same - time, heart rate, and steps. It only resets the distance and does it multiple times. I tried to pay attention to see if I'm doing something to confuse it but I can't figure it out. I can go on my 1 hour walk and in the end it will tell me I walked 7/10 of a mile or some other ridiculously low number. 

ETA: I also tried using the app on my phone in case it's the watch version that has a glitch. Nope. Same thing happens with my phone in my pocket tracking my walk.

Edited by Lady Florida.

lol, my Garmin does that every day.  I get home and it says something like 10 down, 2 up, and I'm like how is that even possible!  It also tracks hills as steps and when I went hiking in Vermont last weekend, it kept buzzing me every time I hit a big hill.

On another note, my Garmin is borrowed and I have asked for the Fitbit Versa 2 with Alexa built in for Christmas and I can't wait.

Lastly,  I left my charger for my Garmin in Vermont and I feel like my life counts for nothing without it on. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2019 at 7:13 PM, Seasider too said:

Hey Margaret, I was going to start a thread to ask you, but since you’re here...

With walking 10 miles a day, other than having the proper shoes, are you doing any special kind of stretching for your feet? Your ankles and calves? Any other special treatment like soaking or icing?

As my distances get longer (5-6 miles now), my feet are feeling ok but I do get some soreness and I want to be preventative about injury. I’d love to hear what you do, with the kind of high mileage you are achieving on a regular basis. 

And the garmin - that is hilarious! I didn’t even think about what happens when one flies. 

It’s funny you ask this, because I was also interested in the execution and details of Margaret’s long daily walks. 🙂

• Like 1

And yesterday I climbed 32, but only went down 21, so I guess I'm hovering above my house. Or maybe just climbing out of my previous hole. 

• Haha 2