Menu

What's with the ads?

fairfarmhand

Dumb ways to get hurt

1 hour ago, iamonlyone said:

The irony!

I was a kid when my event happened, but still... We were traveling and there was a metal tube bike rack that I thought would be fun to somersault around (the bar). All would have been fine, except I had a plastic straw in my mouth. My knee hit the straw when I tucked and scraped a long line along the roof of my mouth. Ow. (Yet another reason to outlaw plastic straws. 😁)

At least it wasn't a metal straw!

• Haha 4

I was eating a soft pretzel in the movie theatre when a piece of kosher salt popped off and landed in my eye! Can you even believe my aim? And I wear glasses!

One time, my son was in a streak of interest in knives, swords, etc. He ordered a tomahawk online. When it arrived, he opened the package, admired how sharp it appeared to be and then sliced his thumb right open! I mean, it kind of wasn’t funny...oh, who am I kidding, it was freakin hilarious! He’s like, “Wow, look how sharp this blade is....OWWWW!” 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I sliced my finger recently while ripping a piece of parchment paper across the serrated edge of the box. Then a few days later I was peeling a potato and ended up peeling half my fingernail off of that same finger.

• Sad 1

If Santa is reading this thread, half of you are getting chainmail gloves and the other half chainmail socks for Christmas.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I gave myself a black eye.   I was sitting on the floor sorting through the stuff on the floor of the coat closet.  I used the door to help myself get up.   Doorknob in the eye.  

The worst part was all the people that thought I was being beaten by my boyfriend.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I sliced my finger recently while ripping a piece of parchment paper across the serrated edge of the box. Then a few days later I was peeling a potato and ended up peeling half my fingernail off of that same finger.

Is parchment paper baking paper?

On 10/3/2019 at 6:54 AM, matrips said:

Unknowingly sucking on your lip and biting it after the dentist has applied anesthesia.  My poor ds has a nasty swollen and infected mouth and lip now.  😞

OK really? Because my son chewed on his lip so much because it felt weird, that we are dealing with the EXACT same thing. It was healing fine until 3 days after and now it's infected. I am hoping the antibiotics will work quickly!!

When I was six, my aunt and uncle had a metal swing set where there was a swing on one side and directly across from the swing was a pair of rings.  The rings were connected to the chain with an s hook and my cousin and I decided we would try to kick the rings off the s hook while swinging on the swing.  Except when I went to kick the ring off, the edge of the s hook embedded itself in my ankle and I swung upside down by my ankle on the hook until my uncle came out and lifted me up enough that they could pull the hook out. 

I also managed to give myself a hernia that required surgery by moving the couch to retrieve the kids toys but that wasn't nearly as dramatic as the swing incident.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is parchment paper baking paper?

Probably. You use it when baking and you don't want things to stick, or when cooking fish in the oven, things like that.

I threw out my back by sneezing. It was first thing in the morning and I was dealing with a kid potty accident. I hadn’t made it to the bathroom myself yet, so when I felt a sneeze coming, I instinctively crossed my legs. And then I sneezed and couldn’t move. 

This accident is waiting to happen.  I grew up riding unicycles, but have not been on one in 40 years.  Every year, I look at the one out  in the garage,  and think I am going to let the kid see me ride before I finally get rid of it.  I probably only  have a year or two left to give it a go.

• Haha 2

On 10/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, Tanaqui said:

Probably. You use it when baking and you don't want things to stick, or when cooking fish in the oven, things like that.

In Aus we call it baking paper.  Parchment paper is like a fancy expensive writing paper.

i had to buy some for a science experiment once and wondered why it had to be that kind of paper specifically ... now it all makes sense!