Menu

My daughter is in love with a young man from Canada

popmom

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

I have seen numerous threads on this forum of people asking about immigration policies. Your thread was certainly the most dramatic and panicked (it seemed) I'd ever read. It was far from a neutral asking for information. That is all. 

I think it's really strange that so many people are ragging on you for "misreading" the OP as having an anti-Canadian vibe that doesn't exist when the OP's daughter has confirmed in multiple posts that is in fact exactly how her SO feels: "He strongly dislikes Canada... I would dare to say there’s a lot he even hates about it. <snip> He just doesn’t like the way their government works or their politics." They want to leave as soon as possible, unless he can get a free college degree out of it, in which case they might tolerate living in such an awful a place a little longer.

Uh, sure, no "anti-Canada" vibe there at all. 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

An awful lot of our tax dollars go toward that “totally free healthcare” and “inexpensive” post secondary education.

That is for sure! However Canadian Armed Forces members receive even more health benefits than the average Canadian, as is probably the case in many countries supporting their military. 

With all the posts on this forum regarding the co-payments, etc. about US health care, I thought it may be worth mentioning. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I think it might depend if you have residency of the country. My DH is Canadian and now also has AUS citizenship ( duel citizen). He also has Australian residency . As he hasn't lived in Canada for 30 years he no longer has Canadian residency.  When he went to Canada earlier this year when his mother had a medical crisis and had to be shifted into a nursing home DH had to get a visa to enter, even though he has Citizenship. It was a very fast easy to get visa but still he needed one. 

Also as he is no longer a Canadian resident, he has to get travelers health insurance as he is no longer covered under Canadian medical 

Glad it worked out.  I think every country has different rules if you are not resident.  My mil was able to get her U.K. rights back after decades of being resident in another country with no current passport but it was not immediate or quick.

For some nationality’s if you allow your passport to lapse and have taken other citizenship you have given up your citizenship.  This is the situation family friend that I spoke of earlier in this thread.  Her country does not allow duel citizenship except If another citizenship “happens” to you by birth or marriage.  I am not mentioning the country because I have talked about her in other threads,  but an E.U.😉  She will need to maintain her duel citizenship by keeping her passport current if she wishes to keep it.......she is thrilled because she thought she would lose her original citizenship and does not wish to. 

I have another friend who has to go in person to a German consulate every 10 years to renew her passport and that maintains her right to residency in Germany/ EU.  She has never been resident but is duel by birth and wishes to remain Duel.

Edited by mumto2

On 10/3/2019 at 2:46 AM, Laura Corin said:

Be very, very careful about getting good current advice - how we proceeded worked at that point (decades ago) but I don't know the situation now.  

This is the best and most important advice. We have a niece married to a man from Costa Rica and a nephew married to a woman from Japan. Both are U.S. citizens now but both became citizens before 2010. Though I've been reading this thread and liking some posts, I've stayed away from giving advice because our family members' experience is likely very different than it would be if they were coming to the U.S. today. Make sure you get current information. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1