Menu

PSA: FAFSA for 2020 to 2021 Academic School Year

You are welcome.  PLEASE NOTE: There are always two (2) different FAFSA forms available on the FAFSA web site. Be positive that you are filling out the one for the correct school year.  DD and I are waiting for them to have the new FAFSA for the 2020 to 2021 school year available, which should be on Tuesday, 01 October 2019.  Also, note that you use your U.S. Income Tax Return for 2 previous years.  So, for example, for the 2020 to 2021 school year, I will use my 2018 Form 1040.   And, if we are lucky, the Data Retrieval Tool will work for me and for DD and save time and help with accuracy.   NOTE: The DC and one Parent need to set up accounts with them. I can't remember if those are available immediately or if it takes a day or 2 for them to have it in their system and available for use.

• Like 3

Follow-on: We did the first FAFSA for DD, during October 2018, for the 2019-2020 school year. She was here. We were able to coordinate, if necessary. Now, she is in the USA and I am here in South America.

My plan was that today I would log into the FAFSA web site, with the FSA ID I created during October 2018 and that I could do my part of the  FAFSA for 2020 to 2021 and that when DD has time, she could do her part of the FAFSA.  Well, as usual, when I assume, I am wrong. When I log in, indicating that I'm the Parent, the next thing is for the Students FSA ID and other information that I don't have. Two cups of coffee this morning wasn't enough. In a few minutes, I will try to chat with them and will ask if it is possible for me, the Parent, to be the first one to begin the Renewal FAFSA form, or, if DD needs to do that. THANK GOD I began today, the first day the 2020 to 2021 FAFSA is available on their web site!

• Like 1

Another Follow-On:

I did a Chat with a Live Person on the FAFSA web site. (They indicate a LIve Person, which IMO is much better than chatting with a Dead Person).

Only the Student can initiate a Renewal FAFSA. And, if it is a Renewal, some of the information from the previous year FAFSA will be Imported, which will make the process faster, so that IMO is the way to go.

I did the Form 1040 for DD for 2018, so I will need to transfer access to that on TaxAct to my DD, so she can change the email address TaxAct has on file and then she will have control. She will need to have access to her 2018 Federal Tax Return, before beginning the Renewal FAFSA and hopefully the IRS DRT will work OK for that and the appropriate information from the Form 1040 can be transferred to the Renewal FAFSA.

Today is the first day the form for 2020 to 2021 is available. The Wait Time was only about 90 seconds. 😕

• Like 3

Another follow-on: Early this morning DD messaged me that she was available to work on this, because her first class was at 11 A.M.   That was a surprise but worked out very well.  The first thing I had to do was give her the information, so she could log into the email account TaxAct has for her U.S. Federal returns.  That went OK.  Then, for her to log into TaxAct, and change the email address and some other Account information. A little problematic, but the critical things got done. And, then, we began on the FAFSA Renewal for the 2020 to 2021 school year. We were probably talking on WhatsApp for approximately one hour, as she would ask me questions and I would answer the questions.  In hindsight, since we were not in the same place, it would have been easier if DD had the .PDF files for the two Federal tax returns for 2018 on her Laptop, so she could have found most of the information herself (the information on the tax returns) and answered the questions.  I did not need to log in at all.  I gave her the Password for my FSA ID and that seemed to work and I think we are done. When she finished, the FAFSA web site did not give her a Confirmation  Page with a Number confirming the submission, but it did send her an email.

Apparently it will now take 3 to 5 (Business?) Days for the FAFSA Renewal to be processed in their system and then she should receive an email that everything was successful. I suggested that if she doesn't receive that email in 7 days that she should log into her FAFSA account and check on the status.

The IRS DRT (Data Retrieval Tool) didn't work for either of our 2018 Federal Returns. Not unexpected. I believe there are many reason for it not to work. One of the reasons may be because we are overseas.

Fingers crossed that we are done and that all is OK. 

• Like 1

i just did it for my son because he’s busy and it’s not rocket science- just annoying. Interestingly the data retrieval didn’t work last time but it did work this time. That was very nice 🙂 

renewal, assuming you haven’t had any major changes, was so much easier than the first time around !!! Woo hoo

• Like 1

This article was in the Google Feed on my phone this morning. This explains about the Tax Law changes that resulted in new Federal Tax forms for the 2018 Tax Year and that has resulted in changes in the FAFSA forms.  I am concerned about the EFC for DD, because questions I was expecting (such as Bank Balances the day we completed the FAFSA Renewal for 2020 to 2021, were not asked.  That surprised me I told DD I expect that UNC will ask for our Federal Tax returns for 2018 and we will happily submit them if they request that we do so.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1WI2CR

Thanks, Lanny, for the heads up about the forms being available. I spent much of the last couple of days completing the FAFSA for each of my kids and the CSS Profile for my dd and then uploading all the required docs for the CSS in Idoc. Much of that time was spent requesting forgotten passwords for multiple accounts. What a pain!

Anyway, I feel a great sense of accomplishment. Applications are in and FA documents so now we just wait and see what happens and hope for the best.🙂

• Like 2

Follow on: Per email from FAFSA.GOV

"Processed Successfully: Your Child's 2020-21 FAFSA Form"

I notified DD and asked her to log into her FAFSA and look it over when she has time. I am very curious about the EFC since the Renewal was so different from the Original FAFSA.

Mission Complete!   We did that on Wednesday and today is Friday so it was approximately 48 hours for them to send that email.

• Like 1

Mom0012 congrats on finishing all of that. I remember us doing the CSS Profile last year. That was a PITA, compared to the FAFSA for 2019 to 2020.  Your DD can add more schools for them to send her FAFSA to. There's no charge.  It may well be that she adds additional schools and that she ends up in one of those schools.  Hard waiting. DD applied EA to UNC last October.  We are OOS (actually, we are Overseas) so UNC is very tough.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Lanny said:

.  I am concerned about the EFC for DD, because questions I was expecting (such as Bank Balances the day we completed the FAFSA Renewal for 2020 to 2021, were not asked. 

Are you sure? We did the FAFSA renewal on October 1, and it asked for the bank balances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Are you sure? We did the FAFSA renewal on October 1, and it asked for the bank balances.

Thank you for that information!   I sent a message to my DD, asking her to double-check and triple-check that, when she reviews the SAR the FAFSA sent to her.    I had specifically gotten my Bank Balance, expecting that would be required for the FAFSA Renewal, but that wasn't one of the questions my DD asked me when she was completing the form on Wednesday morning. Thanks again!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lanny said:

Thank you for that information!   I sent a message to my DD, asking her to double-check and triple-check that, when she reviews the SAR the FAFSA sent to her.    I had specifically gotten my Bank Balance, expecting that would be required for the FAFSA Renewal, but that wasn't one of the questions my DD asked me when she was completing the form on Wednesday morning. Thanks again!

You’re welcome! There’s a lot to the form so it’s possible to miss something that’s for sure!

On 10/4/2019 at 9:48 PM, MerryAtHope said:

Possibly DD will have time today to login again and search for that again.  The EFC went up a lot, but it is manageable.

• Like 1