Menu

My Book House vs. The Children's Hour?

Kjirstyn2023

I am JUST for the first time discovering the series of My Book House and they sound/look really great...but when I look into them I'm wondering if they would be a redundant purchase next to a series I already own, which is a 16 book series called The Children's Hour.  Is anyone familiar with both series, and do you have any idea how they compare? 

Here is a link to what looks to be a generic overview for each book.

https://www.librarything.com/series/The+Children's+Hour+Series

I have both.

(I also have the 10-volume Young Folks Shelf of Books: Collier's Junior Classics (mostly for gr. 5-8), AND the 10-volume Through Golden Windows (mostly for grades K-5) anthologies. But, we won't judge those with vintage book addictions, right? ... LOL)

There is some overlap, but also some differences. The Children's Hour has selections that are a bit more "casual/information" -- good for free reading or as solo support reading. As you go up in volume # for My Book House, some of the selections become higher reading level and more "classic" excerpts and selections, so good for read-alouds as support for "classical education". In the past post "My Book House", in the last post of that thread, I give an overview of the contents of My Book House, in case you'd like to get more of a feel for what's in that collection to compare with The Children's Hour. JMO: if you can purchase a complete set of My Book House, that is in good condition, for under $50, it's probably worth it, as I do think there is enough difference between those 2 anthologies.

Another anthology set you might consider is Journey Through Bookland, which long-time WTM board member 8FillTheHeart likes to use and teach literature out of it. There are differences in the writing style between the early and later editions -- I believe the pre-1930 (or pre-1933??) editions of Journey Through Bookland have stories with richer language and more colorful illustrations.

You might also check out these past threads comparing the various anthologies:
- "Anthologies: The Children's Hour vs Young Folks Library vs ?"
"My Book House vs. Journeys Through Book Land -- compare"
- "What vintage reference anthology type of sets do you recommend"

And these past threads with ideas on using the various anthologies:
"How to use "My Book House Set"?"
- "Junior Classics anthology -- what now?"
"Just wanted to share again how much I really like Journeys Through Bookland"  

Hope something there is of help! ENJOY your reading adventures with wonderful vintage children's anthologies! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I am only familiar with My Book House, and you've already gotten great info.

I would like to add--there are a lot of stories in it that are often not introduced until later on--the only kids' versions of them that I have ever seen, and quite useful because of that.  For instance, "The Exile of Rama", Dante's "Inferno", and stories from the early lives of composers and writers.  These do what classical education is supposed to do--hang 'pegs' that kids put together in later life.  I, personally, benefitted from having read these as a kid.  They gave me context and familiarity when I ran across references to them in later life.  So I passed them on to DD so that that experience would be available to her.  

They are also a source of easier versions of some Shakespeare plays than Lamb, again a good intro, although those have gotten some more attention in later years so you can more easily find modern alternatives to these.  Still, having them all together in one place was really useful to me as a kid and later on as a homeschooler.

• 2 weeks later...

I did go ahead and buy the series...I found an 1937 version on ebay for $63 after shipping. It was slightly more than I hoped to spend but I have to say I am really happy with them! I love the myriads of colored pictures; those always catch my kids' attention and pique their interests.