Menu

What's with the ads?

stacyh270

Can hunting really count for PE?

My SIL recently mentioned that she thought hunting could count as a high school PE course which would be phenomenal if it did since DS is an avid hunter and outdoorsman.  Has anyone else counted it as a credit?

• Like 1

Broadly, PE is about physical activity and fitness, as well as instruction in sports, exercise, and fitness.

JMO, but it seems like a lot of hunting is about being still and quiet, waiting for game to approach, which doesn't really fit in with what PE is about. However, time spent on the hiking part of hunting could count towards a PE credit.

Perhaps instead the hunting and outdoorsmanship could be counted as an Elective credit (if really short on credits) -- esp. if doing some learning about hunting along the way -- or as an extracurricular of high interest, and emphasize the responsibility, leadership, and other skills gained from participating in this extracurricular.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

I would also caution you to remember how liberal/left most universities are.  Even the ones which are not as liberal/left could have an admissions board that happens to comprise of these people.  Many of them have a weird and un-explainable distaste for, and dislike of hunting.  I live in CA and came from Florida where everyone had guns and also hunted.  Here...well let's just say there is a strange and un-explainable fear of all things with guns even just for the purpose of getting your FOOD. 

I don't think your son should change who he is, but I would just point out that unless you really think it's going to look amazing or add to something on his transcript...or unless the college itself has a hunting club in need of members etc....it might be worth considering whether to include it.  

• Like 3

I'm with Lori that I might think call it "Outdoor Skills" or something and mentally think of it as the physical things that go along with hunting. I definitely don't know much about hunting myself, but I come from a family of hunters... how physical it is really depends on the sort of hunting it is.

As for colleges... unless he's in the narrow category of applying to a selective school that's especially known for being liberal (not just run of the mill liberal, but particularly liberal) then I seriously doubt anyone is going to care in the admissions process. Like, I doubt that "how I killed the last rhino in Namibia during a trophy hunting expedition!" would be a very good college applications essay... but "I turkey hunt with a permit along with lots of other Americans" is probably a fine thing for the vast majority of colleges to know about a kid.

• Like 2

Trap shooting is a sport in my school district, so I guess I could see it counting as P.E. I agree with others that it would make a lot more sense as an elective. However, you add the "outdoorsman" part and I could see the possibility of a P.E. credit based more on hiking than hunting. 

• Like 1

I live in a state where our state constitution gives us a right to "hunting and fishing."  However, I wouldn't count the time toward PE credit even if I listed the course only as PE and the college would never know how those clock hours were spent earning the course.  I do know some people who have incorporated aspects of their huntin' and fishin' time into hands on science class (such as dissections) and even with some other hands on learning in combination of unit study approach. I think I heard the mom say they used resources on US fish and wildlife services website. I don't remember those details though.  And I heard of one student who really wanted to work professionally in fishing and it was part of career elective, and the student learned bunches of stuff, and they got creative and it worked out with calculating tides, and all kinds of things. can't remember if he ended up at one of the more agriculture style state colleges or not.   so yes, there are ways to incorporate the learning into a course if you want, but PE is probably not the best fit course to work all of that into.  You might consider one unit on the PE credit to be about health/wellness/fitness needed to do well in the field.  I know my oldest daughter's archery class has a nutrition report one year as part of prep for a tournament.

Edited by cbollin
seeing that typo days later
  • Like 1

PS: with all I said above, I want to make the case for "yes you can do that".

If you decide to use training time as part of clock hours toward PE credit, there are resources available for fitness for hunters.  more than likely you would list the course as Physical Education and not "hunting for PE credit".  When it came time to the course description, I'd keep it simple for this course since it is PE: I'd describe the course and not list the author of the resources used (simple example "This course provides an overview of fitness concepts, the effects of exercise on an individual and explores training programs specific to achieving optimal physical and mental health." )

but take some time to look for "hunting physical fitness" in internet search and see if there are any programs or videos (free or pay) to help your son get in the best shape for the season and year round too.   It is possible to earn a PE credit over several academic years.  It's non uncommon where I live for homeschoolers to give 0.25 credit each  year, or 0.5 credit over 2 years.  So yes, if specific sport training is done to get ready for season, yes it can count. The hours of sitting -probably not.  I still would list it as PE and not more specific than that on transcript unless there was some specific scholarship needed. 

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 1

If your state requires PE for homeschoolers, look at their requirements. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. Colleges aren't going to care. Neither of my kids had PE of any sort on their transcript. Absolutely no one asked about it, lol. 

• Like 6

Katilac is right on. You need to make sure you are meeting graduation requirements with your PE, but schools won't care.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Black-eyed Suzan said:

My public school offered bowling as a PE course; I can't imagine that hunting is less exercise!

That's what I took for my high school PE credit!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! Sorry I went AWOL for a while.  Four kids with four different fall break schedules from public schools, co-ops, and two tutorials has made it a circus the last few days 🙂 

I think he's decided to try cross country in the spring with his cousins so if he does that, I'll just use that at his PE.  If not, we will find something that works to satisfy our umbrella program and college transcript. He's not going to be applying to any liberal liberal arts schools (probably will just be a state university) so I doubt the admission counselors will care 😉  In my mind, I think of PE as being active doing something and the miles and time he will have logged over four years turkey hunting, dove hunting, deer hunting, etc. will definitely have been over 150 hours.  I'm not going to sweat it 🙂 

• Like 3