Menu

Dr. Hive - ? about Lipitor

Tenaj

Can anyone with experience explain to me why a Dr. would prescribe Lipitor because of a high fasting blood sugar reading?

Cholesterol is within normal ranges (though on the high end of normal), AC1 is 6.2 (which is down from 6.3 last year at the same time ,  fasting blood sugar reading came in high but I don't know how high.  Dr. prescribes Lipitor because of the high blood sugar test?  From what I'm reading, this makes 0 sense but maybe I'm missing something.  Everything I'm reading suggests that there is some evidence that Lipitor can increase blood sugars (especially in women).  

Thanks for any insights you can give. 

Edited by JanOH
clarity

In 1996, the FDA gave a warning. That Lipitor and other Statins,  should be used with caution by those people with high blood sugar. As it could lead to developing Type 2 Diabetes.
It makes no sense, using Liptor to treat his blood sugar numbers?
Statins are used treat to Cholesterol imbalances.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am diabetic and my doctor insists on Lipitor. People with bloodsugar problems are at high risk of cardiac problems. 

This is what has been explained to me, though I don't really understand why with borderline bloodsugar issues, we'd want to push someone over into full blown diabetes...it seems like it would make both problems worse. 

I think I would ask for a study for people in the same demographic of being borderline with good cholesterol. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kbutton said:

This is what has been explained to me, though I don't really understand why with borderline bloodsugar issues, we'd want to push someone over into full blown diabetes...it seems like it would make both problems worse. 

I think I would ask for a study for people in the same demographic of being borderline with good cholesterol. 

Have you looked at what dose is being prescribed?  I am on the tiniest dose of Lipitor possible.  Just enough to give cardiac protection but it doesn't affect my bloodsugars. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Have you looked at what dose is being prescribed?  I am on the tiniest dose of Lipitor possible.  Just enough to give cardiac protection but it doesn't affect my bloodsugars. 

I am not taking it--just wondering aloud for the OP. But it's good to know there are different dosages.

• Like 1

BTW - an A1C of 6.2 means that bloodsugars are typically higher than normal - at least in the prediabetic stage and I would even say diabetic.  And A1C means that the AVERAGE bloodsugar reading is in the low 130's (ie.  probably gets both lower and higher readings during the month but averaged out it comes to in the 130's.)  If the doctor hasn't discussed diabetes and/or sent you to a diabetic educator or class then he/she is remiss in my opinion. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 8:37 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am diabetic and my doctor insists on Lipitor. People with bloodsugar problems are at high risk of cardiac problems. I take co-q-10 to counteract side effects from Lipitor. 

My dh and I were able to have a longer conversation about the appt today and the drs.  reasoning is exactly what you said. Somehow during our first conversation, he left out that the Dr.  was concerned about the connection between diabetes and cardiac problem.

He didn't pick up the prescription yet but will on Monday.  I had read about the co-q-10 so I will get him that also.  

I am mostly concerned now because his father was on Lipitor and developed myasthenia gravis.  There's seems to be a "maybe" connection between the two.  Dr. did tell him that if he experienced any muscle pain to stop taking it so we'll try it and sees what happens.

Lipitor has a single function. Which is to lower the 'bad cholesterol' LDL.
A much better way to lower LDL levels, is a basic change in diet.
Where the only side effects, are better health.
Here's a link, which outlines foods lower the 'bad cholesterol', and increase the 'good cholesterol':
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol

• Like 2