Menu

OG online training course? Peter Pan, anyone?

ElizabethB

There was a $50 online OG training course that a lot of you were talking about at least 2 years ago, maybe 3 or 4, I can't remember, and if you search "OG" and "course" you get billions of results.

Some twitter friends are interested.

Thanks!

@Lori D. Any search ideas? It might have been before the board switch, so might not have been brought over, but it was several frequent posters here.  

Edited by ElizabethB

11 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Uh no, nothing for $50. Maybe a textbook, lol. Expect to pay much, much more.

No, it was really $50, it was years back, people were raving about an online course that was 10 lessons long for $50.  I couldn't find it by Googling it, but there was a long thread with it, people comparing notes about it.  I know the normal courses are in the $1,000+ range, which was why once people found it they started a big thread about it and a lot of people took it.

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

You might hit up Lori D. She's like the thread search Wizard. 

lol. Wizardess... ? Search Sorceress...? 

12 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

No, it was really $50, it was years back, people were raving about an online course that was 10 lessons long for $50.  I couldn't find it by Googling it, but there was a long thread with it, people comparing notes about it.  I know the normal courses are in the $1,000+ range, which was why once people found it they started a big thread about it and a lot of people took it.

Alas, that does not sound at ALL familiar to me. I usually have to have some memory of the thread or someone who participated in it to give me a "hook" for searching...  These were the only past threads that seemed remotely in the ballpark of what you're looking for:

"Orton-Gillingham training?" -- 2014 thread
"O-G training?" -- 2016 thread
"Free Orton-Gillingham program?" -- 2018 thread

However, I gave it a general online search shot and saw this -- would this be the actual online course??

Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators
"The cost of the course is $49, and payable to AOGPE through Paypal. You do not need a Paypal account to use Paypal.
Yearly Subscriber membership dues are $50, payable to AOGPE through Paypal after completion of coursework.
A 10 hour on-line Subscriber Course offering an overview of the Orton-Gillingham Approach. The course follows the Academys Subscriber curriculum. Those who complete the course will be eligible to join the Academy upon completion of an application and payment of the Subscriber dues. It is our mission to teach the widest possible audience what dyslexia is and what its treatment should be. This course was developed by Fellows of the Academy."

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

lol. Wizardess... ? Search Sorceress...? 

Alas, that does not sound at ALL familiar to me. I usually have to have some memory of the thread or someone who participated in it to give me a "hook" for searching...  These were the only past threads that seemed remotely in the ballpark of what you're looking for:

"Orton-Gillingham training?" -- 2014 thread
"O-G training?" -- 2016 thread
"Free Orton-Gillingham program?" -- 2018 thread

However, I gave it a general online search shot and saw this -- would this be the actual online course??

Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators
"The cost of the course is $49, and payable to AOGPE through Paypal. You do not need a Paypal account to use Paypal.
Yearly Subscriber membership dues are $50, payable to AOGPE through Paypal after completion of coursework.
A 10 hour on-line Subscriber Course offering an overview of the Orton-Gillingham Approach. The course follows the Academys Subscriber curriculum. Those who complete the course will be eligible to join the Academy upon completion of an application and payment of the Subscriber dues. It is our mission to teach the widest possible audience what dyslexia is and what its treatment should be. This course was developed by Fellows of the Academy."

Yes, the $49 10 hour course was it, I'm pretty sure!!  Thank You, you are the search Empress or guru or whatever title you want, I dub you it!!!

We did have a massive thread comparing notes as they watched and pretty much everyone liked it, I thought about watching it but it was a busy time and I didn't and then I lost the thread... 

So, the price is still pretty great, maybe we need a new watch party and thread after a few people see if it is any good, although $50 is not much in the OG world!

55 minutes ago, Mainer said:

Awesome!! I can think of some people at my school who would like this/benefit from it.

You have to sign up as a member, then pay for the course.  It's all PDFs, but it is well thought out and there are questions each lesson that force you to think about the material and learn it, as well as a before and after test. They include the latest brain research and OG history as well as basic OG principles.