Menu

Derek Owens ?'s

I am looking for self paced options for dd who just came home for health reasons.  Talk to me about Derek Owens.  I'll take any thoughts or advice - good, bad, or neutral.

I was thinking she could do Pre-cal and physics self paced with him?  Thoughts?  She's had Bio honors, AP Bio, Chem honors, and will take AP chem next year.

For Pre-Calculus - would this sufficiently prepare her for AP Calculus next year?  Older dd self studied Pre-cal and went straight into AP calculus.  This dd is good at math, but doesn't love it like older dd.

I really like DO’s programs but, for me, only with the self-grading option. I like to give immediate feedback on math problems and I find it takes too long to get the work graded by him, IMO.

My dd used his alg 2 to quickly review and solidify her skills and then used his precalculus and calculus. I think his lectures are good and there are plenty of practice problems, so the precalc class is good preparation for AP calculus. I bought the solutions guide to go with the SULLIVAN text that he uses for the precalc course and would be happy to send you those books (as well as my advanced Spanish Literature readers!) if you decide to use his course and would like them.

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 2

DO's precalculus course is solid and would prepare her well for AP Calculus.  It uses the Sullivan text, and I recommend getting the solution manual that goes with it (instructor solution manual if you can find it, though the student manual would be adequate).  

DO's courses have three types of problems for the student to do.  Practice problems are checked by the student (or parent) themselves.  "Homework" problems are graded by DO.  For this reason, I think of them as open book quizzes and only assign them after the student has had adequate practice.  Then there are chapter tests, also graded by DO.  

DO has a self grading option but I would only recommend that if you are comfortable with grading math at that level.  This means not only being able to decide whether an answer is right or wrong, but also how to grant partial credit appropriately.

As for doing physics at the same time, DO is great, but doing two of his classes at the same time can be a bit tedious (as my older son would tell you--he took DO's precalculus and physics at the same time several years ago).  The level of the DO course shouldn't be a problem though.

• Like 2

My ds did precalc and physics last year with DO.  This year he is doing AP Calc.  

We are local to DO so we took a once a week class, but everything else is the same as if you don't attend class in person.

Ds liked the classes alot and when he had difficulty he could email and receive more videos to even further explain.

• Like 1