Menu

Short, Funny Books for Teens?

I'm at a loss.  The books I'd like to do (Lord of the Flies, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.) are pretty dark.  Older DD needs light, funny, short reads.  Any ideas?

My only request is that there are absolutely no direct discussions or descriptions of sex or sexual topics.  In addition to her age, I have other very good reasons for this.  Just trust me. 

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 1

I have to run right now, but just to help get the ball rolling:

poetry
- Opposities; More Opposites (Wilbur) -- books of very short, humorous riddle-like poems; Wilbur is a 20th century poet, master of rhymed forms and making them feel effortless

perhaps a few classic poets and poems -- here's a very random assortment to start you off:
- The Road Not Taken (Frost)
- Tell All the Truth, But Tell It Slant (Dickinson)
- How Do I Love Thee? (Barrett-Browning)
- The New Colossus (Lazarus) -- poem on the base of the Statue of Liberty
- The Tyger (Blake)
- When I Consider How My Light Is Spent (Milton) + On His Blindness (Borges)
- Death Be Not Proud (Donne)
- I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud (Wordsworth)
- The Jabberwocky (Carroll)
- Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day (sonnet 18) (Shakespeare)
- several poems by Ogden Nash
- Still I Rise (Angelou)

plays
The Importance of Being Earnest  (Wilde) -- light, humorous
Pygmalion (Shaw) -- comedy
You Can't Take it With You (Kaufman and Hart) -- light comedy
Arsenic and Old Lace (Kesselring) -- screwball comedy
Twelve Angry Men (Rose) -- drama

short stories
The Lady or the Tiger (Stockton) -- the famous first "you decide" story ending
The Open Window (Saki) -- irony; twist ending; very short; humor
A Story Without An End (Twain) -- how hard it is to write the ending of a creatively set-up story; humorous
Rikki Tikki Tavi (Kipling)-- epic in miniature
- Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien) -- humorous mock epic

The Monkey's Paw (Jacobs) -- horror, suspense, and a "leave you hanging" ending
Lamb to the Slaughter (Dahl) -- "dark humor"
The Red-Headed League or A Scandal in Bohemia (Doyle)-- a Sherlock Holmes mystery
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Thurber) -- humor
- The Catbird Seat (Thurber) -- bordering on dark humor, with a bit of a mystery and a twist
Rip Van Winkle (Irving) -- this character and situation are SO frequently alluded to, it's a good one to know
A Sound of Thunder (Bradbury)-- the original "butterfly effect" time-travel story
The Fun They Had (Asimov) -- sci-fi; a bit ironic; light
The Most Dangerous Game (Connell)

novellas
A Christmas Carol (Dickens) -- the lightest Dickens I can think of, besides his slapstick-is fairy tale "The Magic Fishbone"
Mama's Bank Account (Forbes) -- humorous autobiographical anecdotes

novels
Wooster and Jeeves -- but just about anything by PG Wodehouse -- most of his books are actually short story collections
Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery) -- a lot of humor; no sex; there is a death towards the end, but it does not overshadow the overall mood
Murder on the Orient Express (Christie) -- a "cozy" mystery (lol) -- can discuss the structure of a mystery
Sophie's World (Gaarder) -- not masterfully written, but lots to discuss, as it covers the history of philosophy movements through a thin overlaid story
All Creatures Great and Small (Herriot) -- a mix of hilarious, but also poignantly/painfully sad anecdotes; overall a positive tone

Upper Elementary/Young Adult -- because going back to children's books can feel very safe, and even feel like that are "redeeming" the past
The Great Wheel (Lawson) -- light tone, lots of humor, Irish teen immigrates to the US and works on the first ever ferris wheel
The Pushcart War (Merrill) -- humorous look at how wars start
The Search for Delicious (Babbitt) -- humor, but also with a theme

past threads -- you would have to preview carefully, but more of a chance that some of the ideas here would be okay:
Happy, inspiring feel good book recs

Uplifting teen girl book/gift recs
S/O Steinbeck thread: I need novels that don't have a tragic/fatalistic worldview
High School Literature suggestions that aren't so dark and depressing

Help! Need some modern wold literature that is not depressing
High Literature which is encouraging
Suggestions for meaty but not depressing classics for teenagers

Looking for upbeat literature selections
Need North American novels that are not depressing!!
OK, last one for today, I promise: American Lit, favorite light, funny...

American Literature -- happy/uplifting

ETA -- I came back and added a few more ideas. I would have suggested Jane Austen, but all of them do have an incident (never directly stated) of a side character having a s*xual encounter that leads to falling out of "acceptable society", so I would think that would be a no-go. I am so sorry for DD and you that there is a real-life reason for having to make this request. 😪 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Kassia said:

My daughter enjoyed James Thurber's "My Life and Hard Times" and Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest."  

Caution with "My Life and Hard Times".  One of the stories portrays a humorous evening when one catastrophe after another plagues a household.  I have a vague memory of a bed collapsing - maybe the author makes a quip about what 'activity' could also make the bed collapse or something like that...you may want to pre-read if you want to avoid absolutely any colorful reference for your daughter.

• Like 2

If she is not opposed to quite youthful books, youngest Dd & I discovered the Grandma's Attic series by A Richardson when she was a teen.  We somehow missed them during their younger years.  They are hilarious!  We downloaded one after the other onto our kindle b/c we just couldn't get enough.  Quite light and fast reading.  Although it is a children's series, I reread the stories myself when waiting at appointments and such.

• Like 1

This one is short and actually a novel in poem form, but it pretty hilarious...

HATE THAT CAT by Sharon Creech

The Ordinary Princess (sort of like a fractured fairy tale...I read it as a teen and loved it.   Moderate length.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (slightly dark but very funny and short if I recall)

Don't recall the length of these....

Spaced Out by Stewart Gibbs

Both of these are set in middle school I think, but I enjoyed them so maybe a teen would too...

iFunny (series)

Origami Yoda (series)

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1