Menu

Live online middle school classes?

DS11 has been asking if he can take a live online class.  He has seen his brother take AoPS classes but he isn't quite ready for those himself.  DS11 has taken a short online Bravewriter class but was not at all keen on the asynchronous format. 

My own experience with online classes has been markedly underwhelming so I am more than a little skeptical, but considering what a battle school is with this kid I am open to experimentation.

Any recommendations for particularly good live online (secular only) classes suitable for the 6th grade?  The subject is less important than the quality of the class.

We're 1 in 4 for Outschool classes that have actually run, so I always recommend them with caution. There are some gems there though. Just... be aware. 

Check the pinned link on this board. Open Tent, WTMA, Athena's, Online G3 are all live. There are others, especially if you do Christian providers though.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

Groovy Kids is no longer being offered live, but they put their materials up for anyone that wanted to use them.  Online G3 and Athena's have a lot of good offerings that are high interest and discussion based but low output requirements. 

My daughter is in the High School Bio class at WTMA and I am happy with the quality and expectations.  

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 3:06 PM, Arcadia said:

Clover Creek Physics. DS14 did the course in 2015/16 and I could be totally hands off other than purchasing lab supplies. 

This is a high school class that’s equivalent to our school district’s honors physics class. It can be done in middle school by gifted kids, but this is not a middle school course.

I would check Athena’s Academy for middle school classes.

• Like 3

Athena's Spring schedule should be finalized this week. There may be a few spots left in late fall 8 week classes, too. 

If you want an inexpensive first online class, check out the junior instructor classes at Athena's. These are taught by older students with a specific interest in a subject (and usually college coursework in it) with an adult moderator. They are designed for older elementary/middle school kids. My DD is in her third year of teaching Herpetology as a JI, and I can attest that the process and instruction she went through on writing her classes is a similar level to what my college education students so-and that, as a moderator, I am constantly impressed by the level of discussion in the class. There are several JI classes, so it is likely your child will find one they like, and are a low commitment way to see if online learning is a good fit.  

• Like 3