Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

So, that happened

DH just got home from work, he was obviously shaken up.

On his way home from work, while driving on the freeway, someone pulled a gun on him!  Thankfully no shots fired.  Someone started following him, riding is bumper.  DH tried to change lanes and the swerved up next to him and started waving his gun at him.  

There was an incident in the same area where shots were actually fired at another vehicle that was on the news.  DH is going to the police department to make a report.  He first called the dispatch line I found in one of the news stories, the lady that answered there was a dipwad.  She's like "well there's nothing we can really do."  Then he mentioned that he thought it might be related to the incident yesterday, and she says "I wouldn't know about that, I wasn't here yesterday."  Um, huh?  Eventually she said she would have an officer call him back.

That officer seemed a whole lot more interested.  He took some basic info but asked DH to come down to make a report in person so that's what DH is doing.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 28

I was concerned yesterday and now I'm more worried!  Was your dh also on 75?  I drive the freeways around Dayton daily.  I don't want to have to deal with this ☹️.  And what do I do about my teens that drive the highway to soccer practice ☹️. Never thought I'd even have to think about this!

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JanOH said:

I was concerned yesterday and now I'm more worried!  Was your dh also on 75?  I drive the freeways around Dayton daily.  I don't want to have to deal with this ☹️.  And what do I do about my teens that drive the highway to soccer practice ☹️. Never thought I'd even have to think about this!

it was the exact same area as yesterday's incident.  Same color and type of vehicle though DH can't be sure of the exact make/model.  He is back from the police department and he said they told him that the incidents sound very similar.  

ETA:  I was just down there at like 3pm today, over at the Joann there.  

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Sad 3

Was he able to describe the guy to LEO?  Maybe they’ll release that info.  That, along with a description of the car, could lead to a reliable suspect.

Oh my goodness!!  How scary!  We really don't go on 75 at all, and I'm thinking that's going to stay that way.  😲

9 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Praying for safety of all in the area and that they find whoever is doing this.

Thank you. This is creepy and way too close to home. 

19 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Was he able to describe the guy to LEO?  Maybe they’ll release that info.  That, along with a description of the car, could lead to a reliable suspect.

Only very basic...white, male, wearing a white hat.   Dh was of course trying to drive, trying to avoid the guy, and trying to get to his phone to call 911 (which he didn't manage to get to) all at the same time.  He was able to tell them where the guy exited the freeway.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Only very basic...white, male, wearing a white hat.   Dh was of course trying to drive, trying to avoid the guy, and trying to get to his phone to call 911 (which he didn't manage to get to) all at the same time.  He was able to tell them where the guy exited the freeway.

That’s still a pretty good description.  Certainly narrows it down.   I hope they find the guy quick, before he does this again.  

Wth?!  I drive 75 multiple times per week and have only ever been cut off.  What would have prompted the gun waving?  Crazy people.

I’m sorry your husband had to go through that, it’s extra scary after the shooting, too 😞

• Like 1

DH gets on 75 basically right where the incident happened yesterday. When he got on the freeway, the guy changed lanes to get behind DH, and climbed up his bumper.  Dh tried change lanes but the guy whipped up around and next to him, that’s when the guy rolled down the window and pointed the gun at him.  So then DH tried to slow down, trying to let the guy drive off but the guy slowed back down too and whipped in behind him.  I am sure I have some of the details mixed up because at some point they were on 675.   

Dh has now moved past the initial freak out, mostly, and is now getting p!$$@d.  One of those situations where he doesn’t quite know who to be p!$$@d off so he is just p!$$@d at all of it.  

I hope he is able to sleep tonight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

46 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

DH gets on 75 basically right where the incident happened yesterday. When he got on the freeway, the guy changed lanes to get behind DH, and climbed up his bumper.  Dh tried change lanes but the guy whipped up around and next to him, that’s when the guy rolled down the window and pointed the gun at him.  So then DH tried to slow down, trying to let the guy drive off but the guy slowed back down too and whipped in behind him.  I am sure I have some of the details mixed up because at some point they were on 675.   

Dh has now moved past the initial freak out, mostly, and is now getting p!$$@d.  One of those situations where he doesn’t quite know who to be p!$$@d off so he is just p!$$@d at all of it.  

I hope he is able to sleep tonight.

That sounds awful and terrifying.    Time to invest in a dashcam if nothing else than for peace of mind.

I hope he can sleep tonight too. 

• Like 2

What highways aren't covered in cameras these days?

With adequate police work finding the loon shouldn't be difficult.

The key is to get political pressure from a local office holder who controls the purse-strings who will demand action from the top of the of the police administration. 

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spy Car said:

What highways aren't covered in cameras these days?

With adequate police work finding the loon shouldn't be difficult.

The key is to get political pressure from a local office holder who controls the purse-strings who will demand action from the top of the of the police administration. 

Bill

News reports say that camera feeds are being used to investigate.

Terrifying. I hope they catch the nut.

When he has time, he might consider calling your mayor's office and letting them know about the initial dispatcher's response- now that you have actually spoken with a police officer and have a report on top of it....... Since you know the time/date of that initial call, they can figure out who was on the switchboard that was so dismissive- they'll have a recording of the call. They probably would want to know, because there is no telling how many other reports/tips could have possibly been put off by the dispatcher's attitude. I wouldn't blow up SM and ask for her head on a platter or anything, but I'd definitely report her privately by calling your city hall, or Commissioner's office or whatever government authority you have over the PD there to let them know the type of employee your tax dollars are funding in that instance......she might need a refresher training. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

When he has time, he might consider calling your mayor's office and letting them know about the initial dispatcher's response- now that you have actually spoken with a police officer and have a report on top of it....... Since you know the time/date of that initial call, they can figure out who was on the switchboard that was so dismissive- they'll have a recording of the call. They probably would want to know, because there is no telling how many other reports/tips could have possibly been put off by the dispatcher's attitude. I wouldn't blow up SM and ask for her head on a platter or anything, but I'd definitely report her privately by calling your city hall, or Commissioner's office or whatever government authority you have over the PD there to let them know the type of employee your tax dollars are funding in that instance......she might need a refresher training. 

Yes, she does need more training. Good idea.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

DH just got home from work, he was obviously shaken up.

On his way home from work, while driving on the freeway, someone pulled a gun on him!  Thankfully no shots fired.  Someone started following him, riding is bumper.  DH tried to change lanes and the swerved up next to him and started waving his gun at him.  

There was an incident in the same area where shots were actually fired at another vehicle that was on the news.  DH is going to the police department to make a report.  He first called the dispatch line I found in one of the news stories, the lady that answered there was a dipwad.  She's like "well there's nothing we can really do."  Then he mentioned that he thought it might be related to the incident yesterday, and she says "I wouldn't know about that, I wasn't here yesterday."  Um, huh?  Eventually she said she would have an officer call him back.

That officer seemed a whole lot more interested.  He took some basic info but asked DH to come down to make a report in person so that's what DH is doing.

Not that anything would justify pulling a gun, but did your husband cut him off or is the guy just out driving and randomly pulling a gun on unsuspecting people? Sounds like the suspect might be totally unhinged.  Maybe I have watched too many Criminal Mind espisodes.  !!!

DH actually ended up talking to officers both at the township/city police and at the county sheriff.  He said that the people at the county sheriff gave him the impression that they knew who it was that he talked to, and that the problem at dispatch was already known and in the process of being addressed (at the speed of government, which we all know is the opposite of fast.)  I don't believe that he would be inclined to take it further than that.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Not that anything would justify pulling a gun, but did your husband cut him off or is the guy just out driving and randomly pulling a gun on unsuspecting people? Sounds like the suspect might be totally unhinged.  Maybe I have watched too many Criminal Mind espisodes.  !!!

I don't think so.  If I am understanding DH correctly, DH wasn't merging into traffic, he didn't change lanes, the guy changed lanes behind DH.  The victim from Sunday's incident has said that everything began when he tapped his brakes and swerved slightly to avoid some debris in the road.  It is certainly possible there was some brake tapping by DH as well...it was rush hour on a Monday and that's a busy area, with a few on and off ramps close together.  

5 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I don't think so.  If I am understanding DH correctly, DH wasn't merging into traffic, he didn't change lanes, the guy changed lanes behind DH.  The victim from Sunday's incident has said that everything began when he tapped his brakes and swerved slightly to avoid some debris in the road.  It is certainly possible there was some brake tapping by DH as well...it was rush hour on a Monday and that's a busy area, with a few on and off ramps close together.  

That is so scary!  To think you can just be minding your own business trying to get home to your family and some maniac decides to target you.

27 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

In the news coverage of Sunday's incident, it sounds to me like the person with the gun was looking for a reason to brandish his weapon and fire:

At one point the victim got window to window with the shooter and tried pleading with the suspect.

“I got my kid in the car. I got my kid in the car! He looked at me with a half-ass grin and then there’s a BOP BOP BOP,” said the victim in a phone call with 2 NEWS reporter Ethan Fitzgerald.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone like that would do it again without provocation, like to the OP's husband.

I suspect we'll hear crickets until they catch the guy--they will probably keep it quiet in hopes that they can catch him before he ditches his car or stops. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

DH actually ended up talking to officers both at the township/city police and at the county sheriff.  He said that the people at the county sheriff gave him the impression that they knew who it was that he talked to, and that the problem at dispatch was already known and in the process of being addressed (at the speed of government, which we all know is the opposite of fast.)  I don't believe that he would be inclined to take it further than that.  

Hopefully it won't take as long to address it as it did to get our ridiculously bad mail lady out of the post office. 😉 No one ever complained when I called to complain about her; they encouraged me to keep calling back as long as I had stuff to report, lol! 

• Like 1

Well, just sent my teens out the door for soccer practice.  They don't drive on 75 but hit two other major highways on their way.  I took my 18 yods aside to tell him about both incidents (he had already read about the first).  I told him that I really didn't know what advice to offer but to be smart and be aware.  And if something happened to just get away from the guy safely.  I started to tell him to get off the highway but that might be worse depending on where you are at?  

I know I'm probably worrying for nothing but I wanted him to be super aware as I was when out earlier today.  News seems to be silent so I'm hoping they have a lead.

• Sad 2