Menu

talk to me more about Derek Owens Physics

I need to know a couple things:

1) level of math needed

2) can we finish the whole program by mid may if we start today? (without having to spend hours each day)

3) labs included? what sort of lab materials are needed?

4) does the program have quizzes and tests and are they graded online?  Can the kid retake them? and if so are the questions different questions or are they just the same questions all mixed up?

5) what are the pros and cons of this program?

6) is there help if the kids have questions? 

7) how long are the lectures and about how much time a day is spent on physics?  

thanks.

Edited by kfeusse

Hi! DD just finished this course last school year, so I'll take a stab at answering your questions.

1) DD took DO Phys concurrently with DO Algebra 2. But the webpage says that one just needs to have completed Algebra 1 DO Physics. DD didn't think that the math was a stretch for her.

2) I think so. The online course syllabus is spread out over 32 weeks. But it's self-paced, so you can go through it as fast as you'd like.

3) Yes, the course involves labs. Most materials are household items. He will sell you materials for the circuit lab if you need them. I also needed to buy some prisms.

4) Yes - chapter tests and two semester exams. All work, including homework, tests, exams are graded by a real person. Scan the work, email it to them, and someone grades and emails you back the paperwork with grade and corrections.  😊  Awesome, right? Allow a few days for turn around though.  I seem to think that the tests can be retaken, but don't quote me on that... it'll be best to ask them directly. They are very quick and friendly with replies.

5) Pros: self-pace (pay only for the months you use the course), quality clear video instruction, work is graded with feedback by someone other than me, Mr. Owens is available to answer questions about the content by email, no need to buy a textbook, see above.

Cons: the video lecture speed is a bit slow for DD (but that maybe just her), need to print the workbook and homework/tests/exams, need to use a scanner or camera scan app to submit work for grading, watching video lectures can sometimes be straining to the eyes, and other cons typical to online courses - definitely no real person-to-person interactions.

6) See above #5

7) Some are several minutes, some longer. If you email them, they will tell you the average time and longest as well. (I did that before starting the course.) DD spent about an hour a day, sometimes more. And an added 1-1.5 hr during weeks with labs. But she is a slow worker...  So other kids may not need as much time.

HTH

• Like 1

Yes. Real people will get back to you in a day or two. Also, you can order the workbook  (One semester at a time is best, IMO) or just print the sheets as you need them.

DO will "loan" you the special lab materials if you don't want to buy them. There should be instructions somewhere. I think we paid $6 for the loan of them for the year it took to get his honors physics done. 

If your kid fails an exam or just wants to retake for a higher grade, there is a "B" version of each test. They are different questions and sometimes different format questions (more multiple choice on the B format for example).

Try to keep your kid on track with the schedule to get done in the time you want. It might be extra hours because of the compressed # of weeks. There is a midterm and final. They are cumulative so your kid needs to understand each chapter and retain that knowledge.

You have to request the midterm be sent to you via email.