Menu

London on Christmas Day?

JennyD

We are going to be spending a week in the UK in late December and are trying to figure out whether it would be better to arrive early in the morning of Dec 24th or early in the morning of Dec 25.  We will be staying in a rented apartment so will need to pick up some groceries. 

Will everything be closed on Christmas Day?  We ourselves do not celebrate Christmas but I am not sure it makes sense to take an overnight flight and then land in the morning of a day when restaurants and grocery stores will all be closed.  We will be staying in an area that has some kosher restaurants that might conceivably be open on Christmas, but I don't know for sure.

Any suggestions from UK boardies?  I do know that Dec 26 is also a holiday in the UK, so I am wondering about that as well.

Two years go my sister and her daughter’s family flew into London on Christmas Eve. They bought some food on the 24th and found a restaurant open on Christmas Day. She said it was a limited menu but they thought it was a nice meal.  ETA: their apartment was near the eye and Big Ben. I have no idea where that is but she said several places were open within walking distance.

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1