Menu

physics on Study.com....opinions please

my son, a senior, needs  physics (because his college of choice requires it...unless he wants to take it at the college level)....but he is not going into a science or math field...he is going in to church music.  We have tired a couple text books and they are simply not making sense to him...and I can't help him with it because they don't make sense to me either.   I know Khan academy exists...but I don't fully understand how it works...or if it's really going to make a complete course for him.   But I did run across Study.com.  I know it's not cheap...but it looks decent...and the one thing I like that it offers is a way to contact a teacher with questions as needed.   I read some of the older reviews of the program on WTM...but I was wondering if anybody here is currently using it or did last year and could comment on if they felt this would cut the mustard for my son.  I don't want to waste my (or my son's) time with the 30 day free trial if in the end we will 30 more days behind.  (afterall, it's already the end of September and we need to start at the beginning.) Thanks for your thoughts and opinion.  I just need to be able to count it on his transcript as done. 

• Like 1

I just looked at it...certainly a possible option.  I found where it says I can print the workbook instead of buying it, but I can't find a link to the printable workbook.  Have you used this program Imrich?  If my son has a question about something, do they get right back to you?  I don't want to waste time waiting for help on a question or concept.   Thanks for the idea.   I have another question concerning this program....how long will take my son, since we are getting a later start?  I see the course outline, but not the number of lessons.  Thanks. 

Edited by kfeusse
  • Like 1

All of Derek Owens's workbook pages print from within the specific course's page on his website.  You have to be enrolled to have access to the pages.  

To see the number of lessons, you should look at the course syllabus.  Each numbered section (5.1, 5.2, etc.) has its own lecture.  If you keep up with the pace outlined in the syllabus, there should still be time for your ds to finish the course.  Note that there is not a lecture scheduled every day; the schedule includes time for written work, labs, and tests.  Just make sure he does what's listed each week.  

I can't say how quickly they get back to you, as I've never contacted them with questions.  

HTH!

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

I have no knowledge of Study.com because my DD took Physics from TTUISD (now called TTU K12).  That course required not one, but two Lab Kits, which made it the most expensive course she took from TTUISD. I believe my DD learned a lot, and that the Lab Kits are crucial to actually learning the subject and that it can be a lot of fun (as well as a lot of work) if done that way.  I would be skeptical of any Physics course that doesn't require hands-on Labs.  Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!  I think when my DD asked questions of her Instructors she usually had a reply in approximately 24 hours.