Menu

Accountability Thread 9/22-9/28

Good morning! My kids are leaving me this week for geode hunting. I'm thinking about getting a nap every afternoon. Headed out for a trip to the lake this morning. Other than that--picnic, kayaking, resting, writing--I don't have much planned today. I'm starting out the day sore and a little sick. Hoping I improve as I wake up.

• Like 1

Good morning!  I'm setting up my next week or two of work here.  Gosh, I am glad for y'all. 

We entered term break early here b/c younger DS broke a couple of bones in his arm.  I'm not sure if we'll keep the break to the normal one week.  I am going to give us an extended break so the start of next term doesn't shift.  We need the time! 

School during "break" 🙂  : online classes (languages), piano, and one other topic; usually the other topic is math but this break it is Bible/Faith Studies, since that's where we are lagging the furthest.  We'll need to spend a day or two covering old ground in math when we pick up but that is okay. 

We did not finish our Middle Ages study this term.  Instead of scooting ahead into Early Modern, I have Plan A: use the next term to

• wrap up Middle Ages history & (for elder) literature + read about historiography
  • study some Middle Ages art & music
  • seriously knock out some Earth Science/Astronomy; incl. Jr Great Books reading for elder;

which means during the break I will set things up

• procedure lists/lesson plans/materials prep so that things are open-and-go, do-the-next-thing style (I've gotten this going for math & for younger's Latin) for Earth Science/Astronomy, history/literature, art/music, Bible & Faith Studies. 
  • Figure out what I will need for my lessons and make sure the materials are easy to find & pull out the night/week before.  Especially science materials. 
  • plan for elder DS to do a science lab write-up early in the term as feasible, and set up the structure for that

and there is some Life Stuff to manage

• just get household routines running -- things have been chaotic lately.  Includes dinner by 7, house straightened, making consistent progress on our messy zones: boys' bedrooms, pantry, school stuff. 
  • spend some time each day prepping outdoors/garden for winter.  Fence painting, more groundcover, any plants we want in before fall would be good. 
  • everybody exercising
  • do some thinking about holidays: Halloween (simple here -- mainly have some costumes & give elder DS practice digesting candy); Thanksgiving; the holiday gathering we host for my husband's lab; general holidays; plus plan something on Christmas we can invite folks at DH's lab to -- never sure if anybody will come, but if folks don't have a place to go on Christmas it has been wonderful to have them here. 

That's the grand plan.  For today: term break school; exercise; house & garden.  Spend an hour or two planning school, maybe pick up some mulch for the garden and figure out Halloween costumes. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Good Morning, 

Daddy is doing overtime today.

School done so far is Bible time and she is working on phonics.

Need to do penmanship, math and her reading to me.

We have chores today and audiobooks will be done during that time.

She wants to watch Popular Mechanics for Kids today and maybe Magic School Bus.

• Like 2

Morning. No school today--we are on a planned break. Naturally, I'm starting out that break with a cold. I had plans to put everyone to work today cleaning and cooking. Instead, I feel like I'm running a low-grade fever, and am actually contemplating not going out to dinner with DH for his birthday tonight. I really don't feel well. But yesterday was nice, even when I wasn't feeling so good, and maybe this will be good too. See how I feel after resting this morning. 

Other than rest, I need to get some writing done, complete the laundry, keep up with dishes, and I have an important phone call at noon. I hope I'm not too hoarse to talk.

• Like 1

Morning, y'all!  Slow start here which is okay since we're between terms. 

Today's school: piano, languages, Bible.  Today's other: planning -- an hour on this would be great, I'll do my best to get at least 15" -- exercise.  Household: chores, garden chores, books back to library on way to role-playing-game-night, make an actual dinner for everybody (as opposed to just boiling pasta and having DH figure out what to top his with), leave house in good shape for DH when he gets home.  Maybe bathe younger DS, he surely could use it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Last week was our planned break, during which we did some science/social studies field trips so it was only kind of a break.  

Last night I was sick to my stomach with some GI something or other.  I know it was related to something I ate or drank (had a couple of beers watching the football game, I am sure this was a factor) but I felt AWFUL.  My DH, bless his heart, says "if you need me to take you to the hospital, let me know."   I felt awful but I still couldn't stop myself from giggling.....honey, I feel like crap, but it's really just an upset stomach.  Stomach finally settled down around 12:30am or so, fitbit shows I fell asleep at like 1:30.  So, when my alarm went off at 6, I was like um...no.

I finally was up around 7, so 5.5 hours of sleep, ok enough.  I had the kids out of bed by 7:30, but since I didn't do any after dinner clean up the night before since I felt crappy, the kitchen was a disaster, so yeah, McDs sausage biscuits for breakfast.  

Which  means, we got started late, I am kinda fuzzy headed still (but physically feeling much better) and we are riding the struggle bus to push through.  Daily math and daily grammar is done for the girls, DS6 is working on ETC.  I have some other things I want to introduce to the girls today, and really, it's rainy and yucky out so maybe we can just kinda muddle through over the whole course of the day.  

Ugh! Glad mine is just fatigue and head-cold stuff. My children are refusing to be in the same room with me. They have vacation and they don't want to get sick. So I'm mostly quarantined except to do things like laundry and dishes. I don't think they'd eat anything I cooked, LOL. But now, clean the house? No--they won't go that far...

• Haha 1

Hello,

She was up super early 4am and so I had to be.

Dad is home and it's his day for school.

I did devotion, memory verse, Bible storybook and her Adventure Bible. 

She watched Popular Mechanics for Kids and What's in the Bible with Buck Denver. 

Dad took DD6 out this morning and he hasn't shared his plans. DD has told me what she wants to do. Science, art, nature walk and math with Dad.

We will see how it goes. 

I want to sleep but now I'm just enjoying the quiet 

• Like 2

happysmileylady, _so_ grateful your DH is safe.  Oh my goodness.

on a more mundane topic ... here, we are tottering along.  Most of my day was taking younger DS into the city to see a pediatric orthopedist about his arm.  The news is quite good & I do not think we even have to go back; he's in a splint for a month. 

This afternoon I'm napping, doing some Greek and ideally math with younger DS, house &c.  Working especially to get some exercise in and to keep our evening running earlier than our running average. 

ETA: I forgot -- yesterday I finally finished our Christian Studies/Bible plans.  !!!!  It was a chunk of work to line things up so that the boys "catch up" on memory work & we make sure they master what they need to as we go, but I am pretty sure that it's open-and-go now.  I'm very glad about that. 

ETA#2: no school for younger DS, I decided -- we're too wiped!

• Like 1

They went to the lake and hiked around. Also went to a thrift store where he was trying to teach her how to haggle.

She did her nature journal and a penmanship page (having to do with the hike). She found driftwood and painted it (with Dad) and other things while listening to some stories. She read several books and put Dad down for a nap but did she nap... nope.

She feel asleep about her regular time. I don't know how she did it.

Tomorrow regular school day.

• Like 2

Did Bible time at home this morning.

We were out and about today.

She did her math lesson in the car with Dad on the way to the library.

Dropped off a bunch of things at the library and picked stuff up. She did her penmanship there as well.

Laundry mat. 

Visit friends

Ate out

Parktime

Visit to Great Grandma and did her phonics workbook and read to Great Grandma. 

Audiobook in the car. #11 Boxcar Children. 

Home and she is watching Magic School Bus Creepy Crawlies.

She will read more to Dad before bed.

• Like 2

'evening, Accountables!  As part of my efforts to shift our days earlier I'm going to sketch out tomorrow's goals/must-dos.  Some officially scheduled, some school, some life

• We need to leave the house by 7:30/:35 for boys' teeth cleaning.
  • 10:00 online class for younger DS
  • Bible studies for both boys; language work for elder
  • 12:30 piano lessons for boys
  • grocery run, library run (at least drop books off), stop by plant nursery
  • exercise for elder DS: run, strength training + exercise for me
  • house cleaning, garden chores, try to work for at least 15" on planning, catch up on some sleep
  • add elder DS eye appt, next teeth cleaning, and orthodontist consult to calendar

ETA:  and ... now it's morning.  We are @ the dentists, whoo-hoo!

• Like 1

School done today is Bible, her reading to me, working thru Reading Pathways long vowel words, classics for kids, arts and crafts, magic school bus science and poems.

Storytime at library with special guest that did music and poetry with craft.

Parktime

Lunch with Dad

More crafts at home this afternoon with audiobooks to boot.

• Like 1

Morning!  Today here is exercise, chores, and planning.  Plus some fun. 

• Exercise for me: I'm working up to being back in full exercise swing in a couple of weeks, more or less.  So today, just making sure I do morning yoga, a tiny big of "ballet", strength training, and aerobics (s/r/jr)
  • Planning: I have some ideas to try in the next term or two, I need to set them up.
    • begin each day/most days in the term with about 30" of one of those Charlotte Mason "riches": nature study; artist or musician study; art or music exploration; Shakespeare; poetry; & so on. 
    • This term's focus is on finishing our Medieval history & literature, doing a LOT of earth science, and incorporating all of our subjects regularly
    • I'm going to have a plan in case our earth science takes more than one term: when we finish the Medieval studies I'll shift us into History of Science & ancients/medieval review while we focus on science.  Then we'll move into chemistry/physical science when we pick up Early Modern with its world, American, and California history strands.  Ideally. 
    • To bring us up to speed in science, I need to be willing to take a hit in elder DS' math time.  We'll try committing him to about 30" of work a day; he is ahead in math, so as long as we maintain forward progress we can take a term or two of slower work.  I can't afford to do this with younger DS' math, so I might need to get the time by compressing/testing out of elements of our current math & English work: it's a dissatisfying but natural consequence of all the instructional time we've lost to sickness over the last year. 
  • Planning for life: draft our next week's errands, appts., dinner times (around role playing night, allowing for on-time bedtimes including extra time to help younger DS get ready for bed -- his poor broken arm really slows us down).
  • Chores: work in pantry, organizing school stuff, weekly cleaning.  Books to library would be great, maybe a quick grocery run.
  • Garden chores:  some watering, clean some dead stuff out, either get by nursery or plan time for that this week.  Try to find time to get paint on a wooden garden wall before wet weather hits. 
  • Like 1